1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennessee Law Allows Registration of "Medium Speed Vehicles"

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Samurai9, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

This new law, now in effect, may allow registration of kei trucks in Tennessee. See details in this section under the title "States Where Minis are Legal."

Sam

2. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

The initial response from the motor vehicle people in my county is that these trucks cannot be registered because they were manufactured for off-road use. This is not true, of course, but they were IMPORTED for off-road use only. Here is my correspondence with Sheila in the motor vehicle department:

-------------------------------------

"Hello, Sheila,

These trucks were manufactured in Japan for on-road use as delivery or commercial vehicles. They were imported into the U.S. for use in hunting, farming, transportation at parks, factories, etc. These trucks were imported before the current trend towards allowing registration of small gasoline powered cars and trucks. The electric cars described in the Tennessean this morning have the same uses as small, low speed gas-powered vehicles. The Attorney General of Mississippi drives the same kind of truck I have and it is legal on the streets. These small Japanese trucks are legal or will soon be legal in states such as Mississippi, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I hope your department will reconsider this issue because I think these trucks fit within the letter and public purpose of the new law.

Thank you,

----- Original Message -----
    To: "Samurai" <samurai9@bellsouth.net>
    Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 11:09 AM
    Subject: Re: Registration of Medium Speed Vehicle

These trucks were manufactured for "off road use only", therefore at this time, they can not be registered.

Sheila, Information Assistant
    TN Dept of Revenue
    Vehicle Services Division
    44 Vantage Way, Suite 160
    Nashville, TN 37243-8050
    Telephone: (615) 741-3101
    Email: Email.T&R@state.tn.us

>>> "Samurai" <samurai9@bellsouth.net> 7/7/2008 10:57 AM >>>
    Hello,

I have a vehicle that I believe may qualify for registration under the just enacted law dealing with medium speed vehicles, SB 2857, Pub.L. Ch. 959. My little three cylinder truck was made in Japan in 1993. I bought it on eBay from a seller in Georgia. The Daihatsu truck has a serial number but no VIN number, as they were not in use in Japan in 1993. I also have a bill of sale from the seller in Georgia. Please let me know how I can go about registering my truck as a medium speed vehicle. It has all the required safety equipment, including seat belts, horn, headlamps, brake lamps, turn signals, rearview mirrors, windshield wipers, etc.

Thank you,

--------------"

3. oarlock

oarlock New Member

If you look at the wording of the statue it states"any low speed vehicle" If it meets the fed saftey standards listed in the affadavit for the dept of Rev it should qualify whether it was "manufactured for off road use only" or not! You need to talk to the legal dept or even request a state attorney generals opinon

SteveBW likes this.
  4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Do kei trucks meet relevant safety standards? What about air bags, bumpers, and collapsing front ends?

Sam

5. oarlock

oarlock New Member

6. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Very good, but these trucks go faster than 35 and have no VIN. At any rate, I do hope that this law can lead to registering mini trucks. I think this should happen.

Sam

7. oarlock

oarlock New Member

vin and speed

with a governor these trucks could be limited to 35mph--not sure what the speed is set to now. also the TN Code never defines VIN and if you look at 49 CFR V at section 565.5 the feds recognize numbers placed by manufacturers on foreign motor vehicles imported into this country--do minitrucks have a unique serial number?--I dont know.

8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I've looked at this affidavit in the past. Who's supposed to sign it? I figured the owner but it says "Signature of Certifier"???

Sam-Any response to your rebuttal.

-Greg

9. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I think that the term Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has a specific meaning under federal law and that the serial numbers on kei trucks do not qualify. Many of the kei trucks come with speed limiters to prevent them from going over 25mph. I don't think it is going to be feasible to invent 35mph limiters, make them, and install them on kei trucks. Anyone who has an unlimited truck would be reluctant to restrict their speed in that way. OK, you put the limiter on to get registered and then take it off thereafter. That is messy, isn't it? If you just fill out an affidavit, you commit perjury. That is not a good thing.

As I stated in an earlier message, the Davidson County vehicle registration information person told me no dice. But I think Tennesseans with mini trucks need to press their local officials and get some trucks tagged.

Sam

10. Colin

Colin Member

Well... yes and no. Prior to 1981, each manufacturer had their own method of assigning a VIN. Post-'81, cars sold in the US (and elsewhere?) were assigned 17-digit VINs which meet various format criteria:

•*the first digit is the country of origin (1 for USA, J for Japan, W for West Germany, in my Merkur's case :D)
    • the eighth digit is the engine identifier
    • the tenth digit indicates the year of manufacture
    • the last six digits are the vehicle's individual identifiers - these six digits are often stamped on the engine block and other parts, as well

Other digits indicate the manufacturing plant, body trim, transmission type, etc.

I think the 17-digit VIN standardization is more of an industry gentleman's agreement rather than law. I'm not sure it matters much if these trucks use a 9-digit serial number instead, as long as that number is specific to each truck.

Colin

11. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

I agree Colin. However, the confusion sets in when the screen at DMV has 17 digits and you only have 9 digits. The questions start coming out and a confused mind will always say No.

Jeff

12. Colin

Colin Member

Make up another eight digits and etch them into the frame behind the others. :D

13. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Priceless!!!!

14. oarlock

oarlock New Member

certifier

the affadavit is to be signed by the owner