1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapping/ticking/light knocking

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Kei3DO, May 24, 2022.

1. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

So today, my truck warmed up after an errand (I drove about 10 miles total.)

When I got home I noticed a pretty noticable sound from the engine. Popped the passenger seat and it was definitely louder on the top end from what I could tell. It didn't lighten up or get louder with revs, just matched them. Is the 3g83 one of those engines that has this ticking after certain amount of miles on them like Toyota or Hyundai engines? I did notice sparkle in the oil, but nothing that's not out of the ordinary for any 26 year old engine or excessive. Any tips one be great, thanks.

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

I once had a kind of ticking sound on the engine, used my mechanics stethoscope to get a more clear picture from where it was coming, sounded like from the spark plug boot, turned out that the spark plug wire boot had cracks and the ignition arced onto the cylinder head..
    Use a mechanics stethoscope to check where it actually ticks. Costs abt $10 at HF or any other shop.

3. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Yeah so now that you mention it, I played with the plug wires popping them out and pushing them in yesterday (they seemed to be sitting high). Now the tick isn't as loud or now I'm hearing a valve tick, because it sounds different. Time to dig in...