1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tachometer Install

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Deanclean, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

Hi Group,
    Finally got around to installing a tach on my Sambar. First I must say thanks to "Wainair" and "Stormin" for their tachometer posts. I don't have my workshop manual yet and their posts made it very clear on what wires needed to be tapped into in the steering column. For the most part it went pretty smooth. I did have problems initially because I used those plastic self tapping connectors that are supposed to strip and make a connection to the wires. That was my biggest mistake. I thought they would make things easier, but it just frustrated the hell out of me. They did not work worth a damn for me. Once I stripped the wires myself and soldered the connections everything worked great. Here are some photos. The first is the truck after it is warmed up and idling, it idles around 1000rpm. The second shot is the truck on the expressway at higher speed. The third is just of me trying to get work done in the tight space under the dash. Thanks again guys.
    Ryan

tachidle.jpg tachspeed.jpg tachme.jpg

2. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 New Member

Hey Deanclean, good job on the install. I also have a sambar and im wondering what rpm it idles at as well as what it turns at about 90km but I have not installed a tach yet.... is yours supercharged and what size tires are you running? if its the same as mine then i guess i wont need a tach :cool:
    Thanks

3. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

Hi Buckwheat,
    Once its warmed up it idles at 1000rpm. At 90km/h its at about 5000rpm. Mine is not supercharged and Im using the stock 12" tires. I hope that helps.

4. Stormin

Stormin Member

That's the nice thing about this forum, helping each other out!! Looks good Deanclean. Even if those clamp on wire connectors would of worked in the long run you would of had issues anyway. Good choice on soldering, that way you can do it and forget it.

5. Brayden

Brayden New Member

Which wire did you tap into to go to the green wire on the tachometer. I got a tach but tried hooking to a few wires with no luck getting the guage to read

6. Maximal

Maximal Member

The tach signal wire aka green wire hooks up to coil negative, coil negative on sambar is the yellow wire. It's in the main wiring harness in the middle of the front of the cab or you can run a wire to the rear to the coil and splice it in there, that's what I did. That's all you have to do