1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tach Question

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Luckydog, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Anyone here install a Tach on their Sambar? I assume it's a pretty straight forward job.....but I guess the real question is how high is the red line? I mean it's a small engine so I assume it's pretty high right? I don't want to buy a 8,000RPM tach and find out the red line is 9,000 RPM:)

Thanks for the input

Adam

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I read some threads about this. Its not as high as you would think. The Sambar engine probably redlines somewhere in the 5500-6500 range. You should be fine with the 8K tach. Other members probably have a more exact red-line.

-Greg

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i haven't found a rev limiter on my truck yet, i've had it well over 140kmh... i want a tach to keep an eye on things, but on the other hand i don't want to know how hard i'm revving it :p

i just keep the pedal down and the radio up... that way i don't hear the pistons conspiring to jump out of the bore at high RPM :D

4. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I posted a picture on here a couple months ago where to "plug" into the coil.I'll try to find it.
    Tmikewww[

002.JPG

5. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

I'm pretty sure the redline is a lot light than 5,500 RPM.. I have a Subaru Vivio RSR which has the same CLOVER4 660cc engine as the Sambar S/C versions and its redline is 9,000RPM..

I'd say the redline is at least 7,500RPM.. The Mitsubishi Van's I've brought over have redlines of 8,500rpm (carb) and 9,000rpm (EFI)

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

See... I knew someone would chime in. The EN07 peaks HP at 6700rpm so 7500 seem likely

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Check out my photo gallery - I posted a factory tach in a Sambar Van S/C
    If you zoom in on it looks like a 7500 rpm redline to me.

8. Dan

Dan Member

has anyone run across more options for 3-cylinder tachs ? I've seen only one nice one and a few cheesy ones for lawnmowers. I'm afraid to know what i've been doing to my mits. I've gotten out of line a few times and it sounds like a dremmel but, keeps right on going...