1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tach issues?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Jun 11, 2009.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

Hey guys, I just recently sold my 98 Sambar and bought an 01 Carry. I had an old tach laying around that had a 3 position switch for 4,6, and 8 cylinder engine. (its and Equus 6086)

So I decided to hook it up anyway and just put it on 6, and do the math in my head. But here is my issue: I think the tach is reading correct! At idle it is about 900rpm, 100km it is about 5500-6000 in 5th gear.

For those with tachs, do these rpm's seem right? If so, any ideas how it is reading right? I tapped into the middle wire on the cam shaft sensor on the side of the engine. Is it possible this is sending out a 6 cylinder signal?

As a side note, I switched it to 4 cylinder and the rpm at idle was about 1400.

Maybe I just have a wacky tach?

2. Dan

Dan Member

Quite possible that you have a 6 signal. My mitsu 550's have a 6 cylinder trigger in the distributor and it trips at each one. I never gave it any thought until now. I've got a few tachs that i'll have to test now...