1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Mag XXC Fuel Pump Issue - Probably a generic question

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Neal Shannon, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Neal Shannon

Neal Shannon New Member

Hello Folks,

I bought a T-Mag XXC (2007) in July and have been having issues with it. I'm curious how the fuel pump works. Is it on when the car is "on" or is it only on when you crank and then the car starts?

I ask because i seem to get voltage on the fuel pump when cranking, but not when the truck is just in the "on" position while the truck is not running. I replaced some frayed wires inside the fuel pump (because I can't get parts to save my life) and then tried to start it with starting fluid. The truck would run for a second and then stop when the starting fluid was used up. I noticed that this seemed to bring fuel through the fuel line and to the fuel filter but still no start.

I took off the fuel filter, turned to the "on" position and didn't hear the pump or see fuel. Once we started cranking it, fuel started to spill out.

Million dollar question: Is the best way to prime the fuel pump by just cycling the starter? How long should this take?

I thought the fuel pump was supposed to run in the on position and when you run the starter. Otherwise if it only ran when the starter was engaged and fuel made it to carb, it would cut off as soon as you let go of the starter.

What are your thoughts? I'm "under the gun" to fix this thing or the girlfriend will make me get rid of it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on any of the above questions!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Is the vehicle fuel injected? Some of the injection system only run the pump when they need fuel. So there could be pressure switch.

Some of the Engine Control systems shut off current to the fuel pump if the engine isn’t running.

All the vehicles built from the mid nineties forward had a collision/rollover switch in the fuel circuit to kill the fuel pump in the event of an accident.