1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swapping rear axle for locker....

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by milky, Apr 8, 2009.

1. milky

milky New Member

I have a Daihatsu s81p with a regular open axle in the rear. rather than buying an LS kit, i opted to get my hands on a selectable diff lock rear axle from another daihatsu and put it in mine.

Anyone ever do this? i know how i was going to originally run vacuum to operate the locker -- i was going to run line to a two position switch and use vacuum off the reservoir. What if instead i just ran "T's" off the two lines that operate the front axle 4x4 actuator and run line from the "T's" to the locker unit. This way anytime i engaged the 4 wheel drive, the rear axle would lock.

I guess the reason for this is two part - 1. I dont see myself using the locker when i'm not in 4x4 mode
    2. it would save a few bucks not having to purchase a two position vacuum switch and then running lines into the cab and mounting it.

What do you think? My only concern is - by doing it this way would i be robbing too much vacuum and not have enough to move both the front axle unit and the rear locker?

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Did you get the replacement diff yet? If you did... your one of the few lucky people to do so.

-Greg

3. milky

milky New Member

greg,
    I got an entire rear axle drum to drum from an s83 - direct bolt up replacement. G&R had it on hand and shipped it same day arriving only 3 days later - they did a fantastic job - axle in great shape locker works perfect. Best part is that the brakes are in better shape than mine so i dont even have to pull em off or swap em - bolt it up and off i go!

4. greg0187

Good deal. When I called them and asked they didn't even want to talk about it. You should be okay with the setup you are talking about. If not I have two vacuum relays w/weather proof harnesses i'd be willing to part with.

-Greg

5. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

Sorry, to hear that Greg do you know who you talked to here. I have 5 suzuki diff lock rear ends and 3 daihatsu as of right this moment that can be ready to ship within a day. Glad everything worked well for you milky!!!:D:D

6. greg0187

No biggie. I think it was Derek or something like that. I wasn't trying to say anything bad it was just that you guys had a standard rear end in stock but not one with the locker. When I asked about getting one with a locker, he said he wasn't interested in doing that. Everything was handled very professionally though.

-Greg

7. milky

milky New Member

GR mike,

Thanks for the good customer service - i called back and talked to Joe as he is the guy i made the original order with. I called the other day to let him know i got the axle but some of it was damaged in shipping - which i know had nothing at all to do with you guys. The backing plates were smashed and two studs were smashed along with the axle breather and two brake lines (UPS treated it pretty rough somewhere along the route). Joe fealt bad that it happened and i reminded him that i was not blaming G&R at all, i know how the shipping industry can be sometimes. Joe offered to send me out whatever i need to replace as a result, and so far it looks like i'll be able to just swap some stuff over, but i may call about the breather or vent whatever you want to call it, my other one looks to have a different thread on it and i may not be able to use it. Anyhow, i appreciate the customer service (not advertising, just stating fact) and i know you guys run a clean business - believe me you will see years of future business from me.

Greg,

I'm going to try running the vacuum like i talked about, but if it doesn't wrok out, i'll gat ahold of you on the swith you offered - thanks.

Martin Fornage likes this.