1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki won't start.

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by mgoblue221, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mgoblue221

mgoblue221 New Member

My '93 Carryall will not start. I have spark to all plugs, and I have fuel coming to the carburator, I pulled off the fuel line to the bottom side of the carb and when I turn it over it pumps fuel. All it will do is turn over. When I floor the gas pedal, you can hear it give a slight 'puff' like it kindof is getting gas to the plugs. When I pulled the plugs, the back 2 were soaked with gas. Cleaned plugs with cleaner and wire brushed them and put them back. Still no luck with it starting. Wondering if I'm missing something simple, or if it jumped time or something. My son and nephew were driving it yesterday and said that they parked it and shut it off, then it wouldn't start. I'm sure they were driving it harder than they should, but that's not the story I got. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

try 3 new plugs. I've had problems where cleaning the plugs just didn't do the trick.

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

did you open the distributor and check things out? i know you said you were getting spark to all the plugs but if it's not a strong enough spark it won't ignite the fuel. check the inside of your cap and make sure the spark isn't jumping, check your points to make sure they are clean and gapped properly. it may be as simple as a little corrosion inside there or a grain of sand between the contact points.

good luck.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. mgoblue221

mgoblue221 New Member

I did take the distributor cap off and cleaned the contacts with sand paper and electrode cleaner spray. The rotor was also cleaned and sanded what I could under the rotor cap. I'll double check it again tommorrow. The plugs do seem to have a nice white spark to them when I take them out and lay them on the engine. I guess 3 new plugs wouldn't hurt. Might have to look for a tune up kit with new distributor cap,rotor, points? Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what I can come up with tommorrow.

Rxdoc likes this.
  5. ibkg

ibkg Member

Check you timing make sure it's not 180 out even though you have spark at the plugs don't mean it's firing at the right time .

6. prdjim

prdjim Member

If you've been cranking the s**t out of it, and it 's got a lot of miles, smell/check the oil level. If it smells gassy and the level's high, don't fire it up til you change the oil. That gas has to go somewhere, and you don't want a crankcase fire.

Jim

www.minitruckoutlet.com

7. mgoblue221

mgoblue221 New Member

Update: New plugs today, still wouldn't start. I checked the front rubber timing belt, teeth looked good, no slop in it. I pulled distributor cap and re sanded contact points, cleaned everything in it. Still wouldn't start. I then pulled #1 plug and located top dead center on compression stroke. I removed distributor cap and noted location of rotor. Then I pulled out distributor and moved shaft about 45 degrees counter clockwise and re installed. No start, then I did the same. Sounded like it wanted to start. I then pulled it one more time and went back about 25 degrees. It finally started. Don't ask me how or why, but the distributor somehow jumped out of time. But it is running. Thanks for the suggestions, when your trying to figure out a problem and you are getting pissed, it helps to get some fresh ideas. Gotta keep my son and nephew out of the white cab over.

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that was a heck of a loop to jump through. grats on getting it going though!

9. Mighty Milt

just a thought here, was the distributor clamp tight? if it was i would rule out the fact that it "mysteriously" jumped time. maybe the boys had a problem and moved around the plug wires trying to "help". if you move all the plug wires around it would necesitate rotating the dizzy to get it running again?

knowhatimean?

10. mgoblue221

mgoblue221 New Member

The distributor bolt was tight when I removed it. I would have just moved the distributor wires coming off the cap if they were long enough. I know that it doesn't make sense, maybe a combination of all the cleaning of contact points, cussing, swearing, throwing things,bud light,working together got it running. Just glad it is. The boys aren't smart enough to mess with the distributor or timing. Just dumb enough to rod the hell out of my mini and try to get away with it. Hey we were all that age to though. Ha.

11. DRW

DRW Member

If you had to pull the distributor and change the timing to get it to run then something has happened, if the piston to valve timing has not changed as you indicate i would be looking at the distibutor closely, the drive gear roll pin may have sheared and the gear to shaft fit may be tight enough for it not to slip easily. I have not had the distributor out of my truck so I do not know how the drive is set up exactly. Hope all goes well for you on this.

12. mgoblue221

mgoblue221 New Member

Well guys, I think I have the problem figured out now. I pulled the distributor to check the gear on the shaft, the gear sure seems like it is on like it should be, the pin looks normal on both ends. When I tipped the distributor upside down, I heard something rattling inside the top, then when I shook it, out pops a screw and a washer. I'm guessing that the screw was keeping my vacuum advance counterweights from advancing when trying to start it, not allowing the spark to hit right. Yesterday when I relocated the teeth on the distributor, I must of advanced it enough to start and run. I now have it back to where it should be. Son of a #$%@!. What a pain. I think someone must of changed a condensor or resistor ( I don't know exactly what it is) under the cap and dropped one of the screws down in the bottom and didn't get it out. It finally wedged in against the counterweights. Anyways, she is back runnning great. Thanks again for your thoughts.

13. Mighty Milt

that makes a lot more sense than having to adjust timing to make it run... good job!!

14. DRW

DRW Member

Glad it was a simple fix.