1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki with no low range... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by FL mini truck, Apr 24, 2008.

1. FL mini truck

FL mini truck New Member

There is a real clean Suzuki on ebay, but it doesn't have low range. Anyone out there have one of these and if so how does it pull? Would this be a good candidate for larger tires? Thanks guys...

2. hotrodford

hotrodford New Member

If it's like mine, it has no low range per say but when you engage 4wd, you have another gear over to the left of 'normal' 1st gear. I actually found it by accident one day. I assure you it is low enough to pull with any mini that has low range.

The 'granny gear' is not functional in 2wd however.

3. Suzi-q

Suzi-q New Member

It'll pull a dock no problem

I have a 1991 Suzuki with the 5 speed plus granny. It has a small lift and 23x8x12 All-Trails. You have to be in 4 wheel drive to use the granny. I have had no problem using the granny to pull my dock and neighbor's docks (floating docks) back up the hill as Lake Lanier slowly recovers. It has pulled a couple large rocks and yanked a few small trees out including roots. I am currently using the truck to pull out a chain link fence that is absolutely covered in 20 year established ivy and honeysuckle vines. The little truck does a great job.
    I like the 5 speed/granny set-up for my needs. The only advantage I know I gave up is having a low reverse gear but that has not been a problem as I like towing forward. I don't usually go very fast in 4 wheel drive but when I do first and second gears have been plenty.
    Unless you happen to live in a state/country whose head is not shielded from sunburn by it's bum, don't worry about the 4 vs 5 speed. You won't be above 40 mph often enough for the 5 speed to make a difference.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Lol. I had to read that a couple of times! :D