1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Every van progress

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by t_g_farrell, Sep 14, 2021.

1. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

I don't see a specific area on the forum for build threads or similar for our rides, so I thought I would start this thread to document what I am doing to get my, new to me, van ready for the road. Feel free to move this to a more appropriate section. I thought it would get lost in the Carry section.

My intent is to document the state of the van as I received it and my ongoing plans to get it ready to be a daily driver for local errands and things. I'll try to post pics of before and after and/or links to resources or products I used along the way.

I intend to keep it stock, no intention to strip emissions or hotrod it, just get all the 25 year old cruft fixed up and running up to snuff.

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

So I washed and waxed the van in the past week. Needs a good go over it with a buffer to bring the paint back to a better shine. I've found a lot of small treasures in the van while going through it. Heres some of what I've found:

every_treasures.jpg

Starting from the lower right we have a remote mount radar detector, a lrge coil of wire that was under the dash used to surface a DC power plug in the upper dash insert, a magnetic sign, a magnetic clip, a magnet, some randoms bits and at the center is a gizmo that plugs into the lighter. I also found a device mounted under the battery that is a large capacitor for boosting the battery voltage under load (some bs fast and furious stuff here):

every_battery_booster.jpg

Still to remove this. I'm going to get a Type 51 EverStart battery and at that point I'll remove this thing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021 at 10:20 AM
  3. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

I swapped all the exterior lights to use LEDs, heres the ones I bought off amazon that I've used in the past for other projects:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFC1Q59?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRE38EA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details (1157 red for brake lights)

I still had a bunch of 1156 leds from the same folks that I used as well. Heres some pics of the results:

Front DRL bulb on passenger side is LED:
    every_left_drl_led.jpg

Rear backup and brake lights using leds on left side:

every_left_backup_led.jpg

every_left_brake_led.jpg

Front signals both with LEDs (hard to capture on the blink)
    every_front_signals_led.jpg

Amazing how much brighter these are. I also swapped in LEDs for both of the dome lights.

4. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

5. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

Oh yeah I also got a hose to fix the preheat hose from the exhaust manifold to the air filter box. I order this and at 1 inch ID its a little small but with some cutting and aluminum duct tape I made it work. Pics to come. Its the closest I could find that would work. I even looked in McMaster Carr , Grainger, Jegs, and Summit with no luck for ~1 in ID hose like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB7XNRE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

6. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

Got to be some really oddball stuff if you can't find it at either Graingers or McMaster-Carr.

Fred

7. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Member

Yeah well, that and this type of hose is rarely used in car these days with no carburetors and EFI with direct injection etc. Its one of those paper/aluminum collapsible or bendable hoses that goes from the exhaust shield to the air intake on the carb. Very common in cars with carbs. Even the one I found was slightly too small of an ID diameter but I was able to use it.