1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Carry Upgrades, springs, dump, bumpers, plow,...

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by project_x, Sep 10, 2009.

1. project_x

project_x Member

I have had my '93 DD51T since late July, during the last six weeks, I have started and made several mod to this truck.

The 1st mod I completed was the AFCO spring install. I followed the install in from the posts on the board. I ended up installing 275lb springs and it has to this point yielded a 2 inch lift of the front end, and much better ride.

The 2nd mod was to install a an EQUUS Tach. Following the tach installation threads on the board, I install the EQUUS 8068, but had only one issue, I was not able to get reliable readings with the inductive pick up. I found I needed to splice in to the brown/white wire that is the neg of the coil. I attached the spice about 2 inches from the connection of these wires to the distributor. It is now reliable and allowed me to correct my idle speed (down about 300 rpm to 950rpm)

The most ambitious mod I have attempted (which is still in progress ) is to convert my standard mini truck into a mini dump truck.

I started by removing the bed from my mini. It took about 1hr. to unhook all the wires, fuel lines and AC fan from the bed. The bed was easy to remove for two people.

I then began measuring and designing my frame, my frame differs slightly from most of the pictures of light duty Suzuki factory dumps, in that my sub frame actually sits on top of the frame rail, instead of being inside it.
    [​IMG]

Another discrepancy of my design was to place the side to side supports for the frame, under the main sub frame rails to add additional strength.
    [​IMG]

Once the pieces were cut, fitted and bolted in place, I had to enlist the welding skills of a friend. All the pieces were then tacked in place so they wouldn't move while he finished the welds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Instead of keeping everything metric (as no one seems to have the sizes I needed in stock, so I would need to order them in the 100s), I changed the vertical bolts all to Grade 8 1/2" bolts.

Before assembling, I also drilled the holes for the hinges, using a 7/8" endmill with 1/4" pilot. this allowed me to drill identical, straight, holes through every hinge at the same time. This ensures that they will all line up after assembly.

The rest of the install will continue in the next post.

Cheers,
    Rob

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. project_x

project_x Member

Dump frame continued, hydraulics, and rear bumper

Once the sub-frame was completely welded, and verified to fit with the hinge portion completely parallel the sub frame was removed from the truck to be cleaned and primed. Once the priming was complete, I put on 2 coats of Herculiner to finish off the frame.
    [​IMG]

While the frame was drying I continued to shop around ebay for a cylinder and pump. I found a cylinder that was the perfect dimensions, 29.5inch, with a 20 inch stroke, they were new, old stock for skidsteer loaders. When I attempt to dry fit the cylinder, i found that it wouldn't allow me to extend it. I opened the top of the cylinder and out came rust /dirt a lot of it. So now i needed to find a cylinder and deal with the seller for a refund. Fortunately, I found a similar cylinder at surplus center, except the ports are oriented on the side of the cylinder making it fit easier. It was delivered yesterday, so i'll get to installing it on the weekend.
    Here's the inside of the cylinder [​IMG]

I was fortunate to find a small double acting "marine" hydraulic pump that will have sufficient flow and pressure to lift and lower the bed. It came complete with wiring harness, relays, and switches. The best thing is it has a max draw of only 80A.

While waiting for the cylinder to arrive, i began to work on a rear bumper, similar to the one Greg built for his HiJet, I used a C5 channel. In the center of the channel, I cut out a square hole to weld the 2" receiver. Much like the rear Suzuki bumpers from acidgear, I used steel plate from the side of the frame, down to tabs, which are welded into the back of the C5 channel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More details to come, tomorrow I'm going to look at plow to add to the front and use the hydraulic pump to raise, lower and angle it......

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. project_x

project_x Member

It Dumps : )

I received my cylinder from www.surpluscenter.com. Not only is it a bargain, it is a perfect fit for this job. Here is a link: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009091520295823&item=9-7157

Once I had the cylinder, I finished the mounts for the cylinder ends and had them welded in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it the cylinder and pump installed, since the main support for the rod end is narrower than the frame rails it needs to rest on an interim support prior to mounting on the bed.
    [​IMG]

Once pump was in place, and the route for the hoses were chosen, it was time to cut the hydraulic hose and install the relay box. The seller I got the pump from, included a variety of fittings, 50' of hose, relays and all the wiring to install the pump and cylinder.
    [​IMG]

I tested the pump and cylinder and it worked without incident, now my attention needed to be on the bottom of the bed and the hinges.
    Due to moving the bed back (about 1.5-2") on the frame (so the bed can clear the cab as the cylinder extends, the fenders need to be removed. As well the vertical supports all needed to be removed from the bottom of the bed. This was accomplished with a spot weld cutter from Napa. Since the fenders will need to be replaced, I chose some complete fenders that are already white, from here http://www.etrailer.com/p-F008543.htm

Here are the hinges, the they are comprised of a C3 channel, and 1/4" plate with 7/8" holes. These holes were cut at the same time as the hinge holes on the frame, to ensure that they are square and aligned. A 2" tube is also used to add additional support and to keep the hinges parallel to each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To test the alignment and positioning, I used Tek screws to hold the hinges on the bed, and to fasten to the rod end once the bed was fitted in place. Once the function and alignment testing is complete, these fabricated parts will be welded to the bed.

Once the rod end, and the hinges were fastened to the bed, it was finally time to test the dump.
    [​IMG]
    It worked like a charm, in fact there was a spot (where the taillights move near the bumper mounts while dumping) that I thought would require some modification, but the cylinder stops the collision by about 1/4" : )

Still lots to do for the dump mod, weld the hinges to the bed, finish running the switch wiring to the cab, painting the underside of the bed, mounting the fenders,....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. project_x

project_x Member

update.
    I still have to add the fenders. The cold weather got hear in a hurry and this has slowed my progress.

I got slightly derailed with the addition of new tires and rims. I picked up these sweet rims from fupabox, knowing i would run into the same issues with the offset he did, I purchased a standard 2" lift.
    [​IMG]

Once I installed the 2" lift with the already upgraded AFCO springs, I began to have CV joint binding. I decided to try huntidaho's solution of dropping the lower control arm mount. This fixed the cv binding, but I had the issue of radius rod length and angle. To fix this I lowered the radius rod mount by 3", and built adjustable radius rods using swedge tubes. This has worked perfectly and I can now use the Cheviot Hotwires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once my new shoes were working on the truck, I focussed my attention on the front receive hitch and snow plow mount.
    I manage to pick up a Moose plow mounting bracket from a Polaris ATV on ebay for $15, and it is perfect for mounting the plow as well as protecting the bottom of the rad and bumper.
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the frame an receiver are very similar to the pictures of the Suzuki Carry front receiver hitches floating around the forum. The biggest difference is that I have a 1.5" tube that runs from the back of the receiver to the front of the new bracket used to hold the lower control arms.

I then modified the plow push tube to allow for effective raising and lowering the plow. I intend to use a hydraulic cylinder with flow diverted from the dump box to raise and lower the plow (this will allow for down pressure). Since I wanted to get using the plow before the snow was all gone for winter, I have used my winch for the time being and will put the hydraulics in later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In testing the plow, it worked perfectly. If I was doing it again, I would consider a larger plow (this one is 60"). It doesn't have a problem pushing the snow around with it, and when then blade is angled, it is much narrower than the truck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. project_x

project_x Member

placeholder 4, I want to keep the details together

6. project_x

project_x Member

placeholder 5, I want to keep the details together

That should be the last of them ; )

7. project_x

project_x Member

placeholder 5, I want to keep the details together

That should be the last of them ; )

8. looks good so far

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Great post!! I look forward to seeing the results.

10. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I want to make a dump bed. Thanks for the pictures. Metalsdepot.com has some good prices for 2 inch square tubing 8 feet for 36 dollars. Anyone else using a good metals site to order tubing?

11. project_x

project_x Member

I've found that if you have a steel shop around, you can get great prices on shorter than 8ft lengths. Usually people are buying 20ft, 10ft, or 8ft. anything less is at a discount.

BTW: i've got it dumping now. more pics and details tonight. If you want any specifics of the build, I'd be happy to share. I did a lot of research and had to start from scratch to get this one done.

12. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Theres a place out in washington state I buy from besides Metals Depot. http://www.onlinemetals.com/ I've also hit up shapiro supply on eBay a couple of times.

13. project_x

project_x Member

It dumps : )

New pictures and info added.

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet. I got my steering cylinders from Surplus Center. They seem to be great quality for the price. Where did you get your pump assembly?

15. project_x

project_x Member

I got the "pump kit" off ebay, it is an oildyne/parker series 108 marine pump. It only pumps about 3/4gpm, but it is more than sufficient for the mini dump truck. With the cylinder I selected, it takes about 15 sec to dump, but has a peak draw of only 80A (compared to a std. 12V power pack, which can be over 250A).
    I think it is the same pump used in trim/tilt setups for mercruiser (but I can't find the flow rate for the mercruiser units (made by parker))

16. o8k

o8k Member

I have to ask. What is the amp rating of the alternator? 80A draw sounds brutal.

17. project_x

project_x Member

I think the alternator is only 45a, but the battery can handle the extra load, and recharge when not in use.

The 80a is only at peak load, once the load moves past the balance point it reduces greatly. Also, most of the power packs for dump trailers have a 240a peak draw.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. project_x

project_x Member

Post #4 updated

I have finally posted some progress
    see
    post #4

19. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

That is why I am going to upgrade to a much bigger battery, that will take the strain off the ALT. when I am lifting the big loads. One of the first things I am going to do is haul about 6 yards of decorative rock to do my landscaping, so that little guy is going to get a serious workout.

A big battery also will give you much more leway in the winter if you are having starting issues.

Jon.

20. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

hhhmmm those rims look familiar....they look great on your truck X..the rest is nice too..good work:)

21. DannyM

DannyM Member

Hey guys, this is exactly the kind of stuff that would be great for the Mini Truck Channel Show. I like all the attention to detail you have done and the pictures are great. With ideas like this, this is what makes other mini truck owners want to do more with and to their trucks. Great job!!!

22. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Awesome, I'll be bugging you for details of the modifications you made once I get my truck for sure! These are a lot cheaper than other options :)

23. project_x

project_x Member

No problem, I'll be happy to pass on any info that I have.

24. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Hey, which plow mount did you get? Can you take a close up of how it fits on your truck?

25. saltydog

saltydog New Member

I just came across this thread - nice job! I was hoping that you could share with me the demensions of that frame you constructed - I am also looking at modifying one of these for my business but I can't seem to get anyone to provide me with the rear frame rail dementions (haven't purchased a truck yet). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

26. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Very nice job!! Do you know roughly the final cost on the dump bed build?

27. BigD

BigD New Member

Project x if you're still around I would like to have rear hitch bracket measurements if you're willing to share. They look very nice. Thanks

28. Nicola Delph

Nicola Delph New Member

Hi, loving the modifications you made to your '93 DD51T my husband just bought one of these but his is a '92. Wanted to ask your advice on when using a 2 1/2 " lift kit do you think he may encounter issues with the steering wheel rod and the cv. I noticed you had some issues and did some mods in this area, would appreciate your advice.

Also I plan to put a front bumper on to accommodate a 4500lb winch any suggestions on how to make and place the bracket to bolt the winch on.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Nicki

29. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

Wow diff with locker. Is that differential easily bolts on to non-locker DD51T's?

30. Rob Vere

Rob Vere New Member

I would love to have the measurements for the frame.. I want a dump box for me DB71T . and the bore of the cylinder. Princess Auto sells all the parts needed.