1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Carry Rear Diff Locker

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by hoody_s13, Jan 15, 2013.

1. hoody_s13

hoody_s13 New Member

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows much information about the factory Suzuki Carry Rear Diff Lockers?
    I've read information hinting that they exist and were an option from the factory, but finding very limited information.

See here, using google translator:
    http://suzuki.epcdata.ru/carry/289_db71t-3/transmission/278/?p=09343-03121

I have a DB71T (1988 550cc 4x4 carry), which from the above link, apparently had the rear locker somewhere between 87-89.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rhys

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

What info is it that your looking for yes they had rear diff lockers from the factory I have one sitting on my front steps waiting for a warm non rainy day to paint it befor install.

3. hoody_s13

hoody_s13 New Member

Basically where to get them and whats involved in installing them? Easy to set up on a vehicle which didnt come fitted with one?

I've imported this from Japan and just getting it registered for road use in the next few days.
    Having an electronic rear diff locker is very appealing, especially considering I'd like to do a lot of sand driving.

4. SeanM

SeanM New Member

If anyone has an answer to this question, I'm interested. I've got a '94 DD51T with no locker and I'm wondering if I can throw a locking diff in there, use a toggle in the dash and just run the necessary vacuum lines. Is that all there is to it?

5. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

https://www.tractionconcepts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=suzuki+carry&Submit=

They offer limited slip diff kit. One guy here installed one but he never came back to tell us how he liked it. I was looking into these kits but was able to find a truck with a rear locker. Those kits are not true lockers but they are better than nothing. The main issue with kei trucks is they have poor articulation, on uneven terrain you often have a wheel in the air and you loose all the traction on that axle.

6. SeanM

SeanM New Member

Thanks for the info SAITCHO, I'll check them out!

So I've gotta replace both rear axle shafts and when I checked a nearby kei parts shop, I found I could get a used complete rear axle with diff lock for less than just 2 used shafts, bearings and retaining rings. So I've ordered the locking axle, I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to use the factory locker but I know I'll enjoy figuring it out.
    Worst case, I've still got my Lincoln locked diff chunk so I could use it and just not repeat the circumstances of the original failure.

Who knows, I may just end up going for the LSD anyway. Thanks for the link.