1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki carry / daihatsu hijet engine swap and entire vehicle-mods

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Jeremy47, Mar 22, 2017.

1. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

You know these trucks are only about 40 hp right?
    The Acrtic Cat non turbo is 80hp and the turbo version is 124!

2. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Yes sir, I know it well. Daily driven mine since 2014ish. Doesn't mean we can go crazy and remove the engines for something bigger.

3. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Believe me you are preaching to the choir! I have a 10 second 1/4 mile snowmobile that is the most stock thing I own!
    I have another sled with over $20k invested!
    What I am asking is, on a daily driver truck on the Highway, what is enough HP to run 14" tires and maintain 70mph!
    Would 80 HP in stock trim, do it?
    The next question is what kind of fuel mileage?

4. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Fast snowmobile there. Nothing of mine is stock, including my 3 scooters haha. For a daily truck, to maintain 70mph, I am sure stock would still work. I have 13inch alloy rims and can do 73... just like all kei trucks don't expect to get to that speed fast.

Fuel mileage, I have been getting 25 or so around town, and 30 or so on the highway with the stock 660cc enigne. But with the engine swap, that should change a lot. Hopefully will also get a bigger gas tank to help weigh down the rear.

5. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

My best top speed is still 64.8 on GPS!
    I have an S10 tank to add soon?
    But I should have been saying the height of the tires.
    My 13 are like 22" tall, from the stock 21?
    I want to go to 24" daily drivers and 30" mudders!

6. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Nice! Yea, bigger tires would mean it would be slower, or have to go faster to obtain the speed it was able to get from before.

7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Taller tires gives more ground clearance and can lower the engines RPM for the same speed!
    The problem is it doesn't have enough hp to pull the taller tires!
    That's why I am in search for more HP!

Tuskano likes this.
  8. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

a centrifgul supercharger is not a hard thing to implement. albeit a bit expensive,its still cheaper than a new engine. and aslong as you have it lined up with the belt correctly you could put it on any part of the front of the engine. and bost is only limited by how you size the pulley on the s'charger.
    imagine a turbocharger,without the exhuast part,and a pulley connecting to the intake compresser and that a centriful supercharger. they make more power than a roots and are alot smaller and easier to implement.[​IMG]
    aslong as you have an intercooler between the charger and the engine (to keep air temp down and thus cylinder temps...leading to less booms) and to also aid in more power,you could also implement a blow off valve to make sure boost doesnt go over a certain amount. say if the stock engine with the turbo takes 6psi (idk what the number is but lets put it at 6 for example's sake) then i personally would set it to 5.5psi

im very heavily leaned to charging a engine becuase its cheaper and honestly more fun to implement. especially a turbo (since when the turbo-lag gets overcome and starts kicking in making huge power is a bit of a unsurity.)

on my gokart im swapping the 6.5hp(212cc) engine for a 25hp 460cc "big block",only becuase the stock engine that was on it (which had loads of high compression and oither aftermarket parts) blew a head bolt inside the block. and with the 25hp i was going to rig up a bypass system on a sized turbo (the turbo i want would be a PERFECT fit on the mini trucks,its sized from 100-650cc upto 9000rpm,after that its boost levels become a bit crazy and NEED a BOV.)
    making the exhuast basically a 1 into 2 system with a valve determining which way the air flows. if im feeling sporty it'll close 1 pipe and direct 100% air (or so,depending on how close i can get the valve to seal) and if im feeling casual just block off the turbo and direct the air out as normal. either situation both exhuast pipes would lead into a single muffler (1 into 2 into 1 design)
    dont steal my idea on that!!!

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/
    thats the turbo i mentioned. its a very high quality clone of a standard motorycle type turbo. ive used them in the past on a few 10horse small engine diesels and they boosted all the way upto 30psi. engine blew after 42psi but made a whopping 30hp (i had also bored it by .0030" and decked it by .0050",which is why it scaled a little better) and that was at 5500rpm.
    i dont actually remember the engine model as it was a very impromptu thing where a friend had all the parts made for him but he had no mechanical knowledged whatsoever so he had me do the thing. (you know the type, spoiled kid with rich parents, only he was 28 and just had a really nice job doing programming for microsoft)

TL:DR:
    supercharger or turbo are my reccomendation if you want more power without engine swap. turbo if you or someone you know can weld. supercharger if you dont.
    only issue with a centrifigul is sizing it and/or sizing the pulley. that,and needing a new belt.
    reccomended to get a cogged belt if trying to push over 12psi,they will slip if any moisture gets on them at those levels.

upload_2017-5-1_16-33-17.png

9. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

@KCCats, you think this site is reliable to get them from? https://www.grimports.com
    if it is i'll just order a few from there and try to make some money selling them to my locals. Rockford is a pretty big city,that and i could probably get some sales on a few at my moms other house in colorado. no shortness of wilderness there!

10. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

ok this is random but here's a thought.
    the polaris rzr has a 110hp NA and a 168hp TURBOCHARGED (2diff models).
    925cc twin cylinder for the turbo model,and im pretty sure its the same for the non turbo.
    the 'zuki carry and the rzr are are both around the same weight and payload (rzr is 1500lbs and 750lb payload)
    the engines in terms of physical size i'd have to honestly say the rzr is probably a bit smaller and a bit lighter than the 660cc 3cyl offered by honda,daihatsu,and suzuki.

this has me wondering. since im in the job market PURELY to buy a carry,trailer,and base model 168hp rzr....i would already have the rzr and the carry...if i did the measurements and it'd fit...anyone think i should order a "replacement" rzr engine (either one. turbo or non-turbo) and put it in the carry? THAT would be pretty badass.
    the engine would probably be right at home,since in the rzr it also has to move 4wd.

only bad thing about that is the rzr is 24,000$ and the carry is at most 2000$ LOL. no issue to me though the rzr is f**kin perfect in my eyes.

11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The 91 Cary I bought was $5000!
    It came with a title!
    And I had 1000 mile trip one way to go get it! (SC Coast)
    If you are going to get a mini Truck they did make a jumbo cab with a turbo!

12. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

jumbo cab+turbo plus flat bed? i thought the turbo was reserved only for the full vans?

13. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

RZR is a belt drive CVT, as are all UTVs except the Yamaha.

14. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

i know that.
    actually i could get a shaft drive motorcycle engine with the trans and that would probably just bolt straight up the stock driveshaft.
    specifically im looking at a 81 yamaha xj750 engine. 82hp @ 9000rpm and 50lb-ft of torque at 7500rpm
    im looking at the pics and they look to be the same size and bolt pattern. if not,i can make a adapter.
    i was actually wanting to get the bike to use the engine on my gokart for when i convert it to a rally racer (the whole bike is cheaper than the 25hp engine alone that i wanted)
    but this would be alot cooler if it did work.
    its a transverse 4 so that might be a issue,its wide not long. 5spd trans,trying to find the gearing ratio's to see if it would have the torque output to the wheels (or final drive i guess) to be viable over the stock one.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. ttc

ttc Active Member

BMW flying brick engine

16. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

so i just went and looked at the bike today and i gotta be honest im pretty deadset on buying it. i got 500 to spend and it cost 450,needs a cdi though.
    by the end of next week i should have a motorcycle to work with. after that i can figure something out about the carry about how im going to go about getting it.

17. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Start a new thread on your build!
    And don't forget the pics!

18. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Sweet! Yep, do a build thread if it happens! Just realized I had no build thread on mine, although now I am not currently the one

19. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I haven't really started mine yet and I will!

20. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

The motorcycle guy blew me off so I bought my mom's taurus. Not Gonna pull parts from that but probably make it 600+ fwhp.
    I went to go look at buying a Honda Civic with a 1.5l I4 and it was such a cute little engine,I could pick it up with one hand. (I'm 180lbs btw. Not huge.)
    I was thinking two things.
    One,that engine would be hella fun on my gokart.
    Two,it's got just over double the power of the Carry's engine. If I could manage a swap that'd be great considering there's also turbo kits for the d15b2 in the Civic readily available which would further boost power.
    Opinions/thoughts?

21. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

You will have height issues! The 660 is a lay down or a slat 3 cyl and there isn't much room around it!

22. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

Could you get me a measurement of the 660? And I'll just look around for engines that meet that size.?

23. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

660 is a slat. I have mine completely out and would have been able to measure, although I am away from my stuff for a few more months sadly.

24. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Ill try to get a rough idea this weekend if I get time?
    One other post mentioned the Subaru Boxer!
    Personally I am hoping to buy a complete 05 Arctic Cat 660! that has been crashed yust for the intake and exhaust and EFI and I hope to be about 80hp?

25. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

any update on this guys? im planning on getting either the 540cc 2stoke engine or the 660cc 4stroke,both with 4wd and a 5/5+EL manual,,,in the next few weeks/few months. if no real suggestions i'll get two cheaper 4wd ones, chop the frames and extend just one of them,make it about 9" wider, and drop a LT1 350 chevy-small-block and making a custom adapter plate+clutch assembly, and then blueprinting the gearset (and input/output splines,and anything that transfers torque) and having them rebuilt,and even re-geared (overdrive unit also added for a 15% OD in any gear at a switch.), but built to handle y'know like 410lb-ft of torque from a 5.7L turbocharged corvette V8..... >:)

specifically that lt1 350 though. i got the engine+trans combo already, the 350 (5.7L v8) and the 510lb-ft max, 700r4,just sitting in my garage...alongwith a slightly smaller vortec 4.8.....

oh and i also thought about putting a 450cc 2stroke racing boat motor in,instead of the standard 3cyl.

26. AZmini-t

AZmini-t Member

More details about this?!

27. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Please Don't put a V8 in a mini!
    If you must have a V8 just pick up an old Jeep!

Yes somewhere here there was a guy from Japan that had quoted the cargo box full, depending on which modles you choose either 7 std trucks or mix in a Jumbo cab, or a Van and only 6!

I personally am going with the Arctic Cat K6a, the timing chain efi 80hp model!
    Thats almost double the HP!
    That is plenty HP!
    And I know a guy here who has adapted the Turbo version @120HP!
    And he says it will light up the tires in about any gear!

28. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

ive had a revelation somehow and im set on buying a 2stroke suzuki carry, and custom making a sliding sleeve expansion chamber for each cylinder and optimizing it in other various ways to increase torque.
    4wd, and atleast a 5spd manual.
    worst comes to it i can easily do a engine pull and swap to a replacement unit.
    2strokes are my friend.

29. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

i want to use a 2stroke carry 4x4 to pull my bike around. (yamaha vstar 250 big bore'd to 320cc, and planned turbocharger + EFI install, about 320lbs total weight)
    i was about to buy a m35a2 (7.8L turbo diesel 6x6 15,000lbs) and use that to pull my toys,but then i sold a few bikes and my turbo ranger...so...dont want that big of a truck to just pull a bike.
    and the carry will outrun that m35 anytime, anywhere...(even when both are towing their maximum rated capacity,offroad)

30. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am a snowmobile mech and the 2 stroke does intrigue me!
    I have several sleds over 200 hp!