1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki carry bigger motor

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by David andrews, Nov 8, 2017.

1. David andrews

David andrews New Member

Hey everyone. So I just picked up a 1991 Suzuki 660 carry and got it running. But the motor needs to be redone. I am thinking of doing a swap to a bigger motor if that is an option. Has anyone ever put a bigger motor in one of these things? I know space is limited, and all of that. But what about a 3 cylinder geo metro motor, or something along those lines. Or maybe a motor out of a newer carry if they put bigger ones in the newer ones. Any info would be great. Thanks!

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

The Kei class vehicles were sold to different world market areas with different power options. I have heard that the Suzuki CarryVan was sold in India as a Mahinda or something like that name with a 1600 engine but I don't know whether it was the same drivetrain or not. It probably was sold to other world markets with different engines too don't really know and have no thoughts as to what might be interchangeable. As I remember the little Chevy/Geo Metro was a 1000 cc but I also think it was an upright engine rather than canted over so much. There also is a thread on this site somewhere where one guy has installed a motorcycle drivetrain in his vehicle. I don't really have any helpful info to give. Maybe someone with more positive info will chime in.

Fred

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The Super Carry used a 1.0L 4cyl version of the F engine called the F10A and should bolt up with the right parts. Caveat to that is you need the engine from a Super carry or the external parts to one since the engine is canted in the chassis. The F10A was used in a couple other vehicles including a version of the Suzuki Samurai ( Not USDM ) but it is installed straight up and down.

Now, you could probably shoehorn a Subaru EJ22e boxer engine in there, with a Toyota W trans adapter bellhousing and use the W58 trans from a 4x4 truck with it's transfer case. It's quite a bit heavier than the 660/ trans but 45-135hp just might be worth it. Just subtract a couple hundred pounds from your payload capacity.

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The Geo was an upright motor.
    I am doing a 2" lift on mine including dropping the drive train and then putting the axel below the springs in rear.
    And I am wondering if that would give me enough clearance?
    As that not only would give me more power , but also EFI (throttle body) and parts are ALOT cheaper!

5. tuanies

tuanies New Member

Did this ever get anywhere?

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

There is a Guy who did do the Arctic Cat 660 Turbo!

7. tuanies

tuanies New Member

I saw that. I was hoping someone made headway on shoving the Metro 1.0 or 1.3-liter motors into the Carry, since complete cars can be had for dirt cheap :)

8. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Well I have several 1.0 motors as well as 1.3 in single cam and 16 valve single cam and a couple of twin cams!

9. Zakath

Zakath New Member

I had an idea to install a 3cyl diesel from a Toro unit or a 1600 VW with out the dog house on it so a type 3 or 4. not sure if a place that would make an adapter plate/ clutch kit exist like Kennedy engineering. that is where we would get adapter plates for our sand rails.

10. DWils

DWils Member

Engine swaps will create a lot more work than just swapping a little engine for a bigger one. The trasmission will also need to be beefed up to be able to handle all that power. The chassis may need to be reinforced and with new engine mounts to be able to attach the new engine and again, handle all the new-found power. As matt167 suggested, you'll also have to adjust your maximum payload capacity to account for the heavier engine. Another thing you'll have to fix is the incredibly huge smile you'll have on your face by doubling (if not more) your stock horsepower!

11. Zakath

Zakath New Member

true the other idea was to take a complete FWD engine and tranz and mount it so you will have AWD plus an engine/tranz that has what ever power you can get. unknown if the axels will take that or not. the diesel i was thinking of has about 32hp so not to far from stock

12. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have a 3cyl 1.0 Mitsubishi Diesel in my mower and thought about putting a turbo on it maybe?
    But I have a VW 1.6 Turbo Diesel I could adapt in?

13. Zakath

Zakath New Member

really the only thing is what are you willing to compromise and how big is your pocket book. i once put a Buick 3800 V6 in a sand rail only because i got the car for $1 and the 2.3 in the rail died.

14. MJPapp

MJPapp New Member

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  15. Zakath

Zakath New Member

I did find a 3cyl turbo diesel off a Toro 3500D.if i ever figure out how to post a picture i will