1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Carb swap out! :-)

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by SDK1968, Jan 7, 2020.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

It's actually a Kein CV-40

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Oh Really can you post a link ?

3. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

ive got no idea what that really is .... but thought it was a version of a mikuni of some sort..

all i know is it solved all the problems. :)

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

5. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Sounds good
    So where abouts are you located?
    Im in North central Illinois

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

In NY

7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

you might wanna keep that set up... cause if it wasnt the carb today?

doesnt mean it wont be tomorrow. bottom line is these factory old carbs are just waiting to crap out & if it wasnt junk yet? it will be soon.

Limestone likes this.
  8. Robdjay

Robdjay New Member

Does anyone know of a compatible off the shelf (ie from Amazon or Ebay) flange to adapt a Yamaha Rhino carb to a DB71T Carry (1987-1989)? I am looking at flanges like this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084ZJV278/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza but none that i've found have dimensions of the mounting holes or throat. Thanks!

9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

nope cant say that i do...... but at $10? if i had saw this? would just buy it & see if it works.

had my buddy 3d print the ones we have been selling off of my drawing of it from my 95 model. it fits most of the F6a models. think he wants $25 shipped for them.

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK Got the HD carb on and now to get it tuned.

There is a vacuum port on the intake side and I hooked it to my Distributor.
    I think this carb is WAY to big?
    I will report back!

11. matt167

matt167 Active Member

you may have to mess with the metering. it is 40mm, vs whatever was stock ( 36mm? I think, it's been a while ). If you put a stiffer spring in the slide, you can change the metering as well.

The distributor in mine, seemed to advance off a special port in the carburator.. Try disconnecting the vac to get just base timing.

12. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have not changed my timing yet so it was good before.
    I just wonder if that port will work for timing?

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

try manifold vac for the distributor, it may work better. I would look into the accelerator pump, if it spits black smoke while gunning it.

14. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Stock is 32mm
    I did see a 33mm pumper! LOL
    I haven't even pulled it out of shop yet!

15. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK took her for a run it revs out well.
    The bottom end is just ok it is kinda touchy!
    It did pull fairly strong!
    Have to wait and check the cold start in Am?
    I can see I will have to get a longer choke cable!
    Hey I wonder if there is a solenoid shutoff that might work backwards for a choke plunger?

16. matt167

matt167 Active Member

one of the Suzuki samurai parts houses sells a longer choke cable since they use the CV 40's in samurai's. Harley also had an auto enrichment on newer models which works the same, you just run power and ground and it goes in and out, so choke could be switch operated. Harley did it with a thermal switch

I bet if you can stiffen up the slide with a different spring you'll get rid of the stumble on the bottom, but it might be the accelerator pump giving too much extra fuel as well.. Sounds like you will get it where you need it to be though.

17. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Oh if you could find a link that would be great!

I wonder being as the stock was 32mm if my bottom end is going to suffer for top end?
    I plow with this.

18. matt167

matt167 Active Member

19. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Thanx I'll get it yet!

20. Robdjay

Robdjay New Member

Just ordered a Yamaha Grizzly 660 carb for $40 off of Amazon to swap into my 89 Suzuki Carry. For that price it's worth a try....we'll see how this works out.

All of the Rhino carbs were delayed by almost a month. But the Grizzly carb looks almost identical.

21. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Can you post a link?
    You are likely going to need a choke cable.
    I found a nice one but can't find the link

22. Robdjay

Robdjay New Member

I found a universal choke cable at Orielly's .

Grizzly Carb Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08131R7WG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also here is the carb flange I ordered. Not sure if this will work but we'll see when it gets here..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079C84DTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

23. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

^^^ YEP. at the low price these carbs cost? its a great way to fix the problem.

was told by the fella who bought this Mini from me last week that some of these low $ carbs are good & some are junk & that if anything goes wrong with them at aht price? you just get another & swap them out because they had no QC.

mine developed a problem with holding idle. it decided it would race high at any given time without the cable moving.... fella who bought it said this was no big deal & he had seen this issue with these carbs before.

just throwing this in for you guys so that you know if it happens to grab another carb.

24. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Im still tuning mine.
    It seems too rich as you come off idle it really stumbles even when warm.

25. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

just pull the choke on a tiny bit & that went away for me.... :)

other way was to feather into the throttle & get the RPMs up & that also took care of it.

26. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Choke made it worse

27. Robdjay

Robdjay New Member

I got my new Grizzy carb temp installed (haven't installed throttle/choke) . It idles great now but mine is also bogging a bit when giving it throttle. I am looking for new jets now to try and get it tuned. It even cold started and idled after about 30 seconds of cranking (without choke), that's a first. After I get the jets tuned properly I will post the jet #'s. Please do the same if anyone finds a good combo. I feel like this is going to work after we get the jets right. Good luck!

28. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Yeah Im playing with accel pump and air screw.
    I have 170 main and I believe 45 pilot?

29. Robdjay

Robdjay New Member

Ok...while trying to figure out jet sizes to use on my new Grizzly carb, I was trying to find the jet sizes on the original carb and found out that the pilot jet on the original carb is actually behind the fuel shut off solenoid. So I started tinkering with the solenoid and determined that it was not working. I took the little plunger out of the center of it, left it out, did not even connect the power wires, and voila, it is now idling perfect!

Also I noticed that the little coolant hoses running to my thermal choke device were a little hard so I removed those and they were completely blocked. I cleaned those out and now my choke is working great. I had never seen the thermal choke open up but now it does! If your thermal choke device is not getting very hot to the touch then it is not working properly so check those hoses!

The only issue I have now is when running down the road at wide open throttle, it starts missing a little until I let off the throttle a bit...not sure whats going on there..maybe a jet partially blocked with debris?

Hope this helps someone. Check your solenoid and coolant lines. Those items make a huge difference. SO i'm sticking with the original carb for now. Good luck!

30. Puro

Puro Member