1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercharged Sambars (Trucks) and EFI

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Maui Mini, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Maui Mini

Maui Mini New Member Supporting Member

I have a question regarding supercharged engines and EFI. Did all supercharged trucks come with EFI or were some carbed?? From what I have research on this forum they were all EFI but I could not find a "firm" answer yes or no. My import dealer is saying some supercharged trucks came with carbs. Please fill me in.

Thanks

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

From what I have read, yes.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

At least from 5th generation on (1990+) all Supercharged models are also EFI. I think there might have been a Carbed/SC model in 4th gen, but nothing within the 660cc era for sure.

Maui Mini likes this.
  4. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

According to wikipedia, Subaru never made a version of the EN series motor that was supercharged and carbed anywhere in the world. I think your dealer is mistaken or maybe has it mixed up with a different brand.

5. Maui Mini

Aloha
    So I just received a call from my importer. He said he can get everything I asked for on a 1996 except rear diff lock. And they keep telling me SC models don't come with EFI which I can't figure out. So how important is diff lock? Please LMK your thoughts.

I ask for pictures and the chass number for starters.

Mahalo!

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Sounds like your importer does not know anything about Sambars, which is somewhat worrying since they are a relatively popular model to import.

7. Maui Mini

Right? This guy....I wait and see the pictures.

8. Maui Mini

So here are some photo's.
    Chass #KS4 341817 any guru's can decipher So 1997 4x4 PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-50-55.jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-10.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-11.jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-12.jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-13.jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-07.jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-11 (1).jpg PHOTO-2022-11-15-16-51-07 (1).jpg

9. Maui Mini

Decoded
    KS4 Truck
    body T3 truck 3 way
    ENo7Y 660 EMPI MSC
    S4WD
    Option CODE C
    Trim Code 510 Gray
    Tranny MT

any thing else?

10. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Hmm.. the whole undercarriage and the exhaust has a very fresh coat of paint on them.. Makes me really wonder what is under that paint. It does have AC, which is uncommon for the SC trucks.

That silver label seems to indicate that the timing belt was replaced in 2011, and it should probably be done again soon.

As for the locking differential, they are correct that it does not have it.. but honestly I do not remember the last time I used it on my truck. It only works in Extra Low and 1st gear. Unless you are going to go off-roading in sand or mud, I would not really worry about it.

11. Maui Mini

Thanks for your response. ? I thought the SC models came with a booster gauge on the dash where it seems the temp gauge is. This is all pretty new to me so I am trying to check all the boxes. Yes it look like a freshly painted under carriage. There is a drip by the VIN but there also seems to be OG factory markings on the steering linkage as well. It looks like a pretty clean truck, straight body from what I can tell from the photos. Interior is in great shape, headliner is cherry. I could live with out the locking diff. The EN07Y is good but how do I actually confirm it is super charged?
    thanks

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Is indeed supercharged, both according to the VIN and it also says "Supercharger" under the speedometer and on the left side of the tailgate.

There is no factory boost gauge on these. The really early models (1990 and the first half of 1991) had a boost light, but anything after that did not. Since this one is newer than 1995, it has the updated cluster where it split the fuel and temp gauges up, and took the spot of the largely unused section on the older clusters.

Maui Mini likes this.
  13. Maui Mini

14. Maui Mini

Well my importer called me with some news. They just received a 1996 supercharged A/C diff lock unit with 50940 KM on it compared to 143062. It does have smaller 12" rims but I am thinking of grabbing this one instead. KS4265291. A super delux as well.

Attached Files:

15. Smollpp69

Smollpp69 Member

That's and excellent sambar. What kind 9f money are they asking?

16. Maui Mini

Well you can take a guess on what on paid for this Sambar. Keep in mind they had to find this specific optioned model for me. The one I was expecting had more miles and no Diff Loc. This dealer does not buy from an auction and it will receive an safety check and title (plate) plus shipping to an outer Island. Should be at the dock in 2 weeks for pick up.

17. Smollpp69

Smollpp69 Member

Yeah I really wish I held out for an air conditioned model. I will say that my truck is absolutely worthless in my steep wet driveway unless 4x4 is engaged. Do you Have a straight open diff when the lock is unengaged or is it a limited slip setup?

18. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Open diff. Diff lock only works in EL and 1st gear as well.

Maui Mini and Smollpp69 like this.