1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Charger Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by spaner, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I think we were pretty damn close...a spark problem is a spark problem..especially between the cap and the block....I'm giving Raven and myself an %80 on that one cause the plugs were fouled:D:D:D:D:D:):)........during the test post you mentioned that #1 was ok then switched then fouled..that would suggest the only changed variable was the plug

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

80% is still an A..:D

Yea, if you guys were looking at it, you would have found it right away, pretty hard to miss; once you're looking.

and, #1 fouled after swapping..from...half wire..half wet plug?:confused:

Seems strange that it would cause such a complete failure from one moment to the next anyway...but it is, what it is..

New wires new plugs...on the way:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. fupabox

Prob. #1 fouled from the wire being disturbed..

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Ummmm... Strange? really? Its called periodic maitenance... That thing was done long ago. :p

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

:)Ouch...isn't it passed your bed time?:)

[​IMG]

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

bed time? whats that? :p

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Boost-up

The "Interceptor" is Currently Experiencing Technical Difficulties:pop::pop::pop:

This week's work included the gauge cluster. Intake vacuum check valves. Injection consideration, and general maintanence.

Gauge cluster was "hot-wired" in, like the rest of the system. I don't want to lock anything down untill I can dial everything in. The mechanical side of the system turned out quite well though. No HI-LOW Illumination, under boost yet; just the basics...

TWO Low-Flow check valves inserted into the TWO in-flow points on the intake manifold. Boost-UP condition CONFIRMED.

NOW, considering substitution of "OCTAINE 104" for the water/meth; after this boost-up. 87 basic with "octaine 104" injection; under boost.

Still waiting for the new wire set and plugs from CAN-POST, but I just couldn't resist checking out the new gauge cluster under this boost-up condition......on the road...

Thought you guys might appreciate this: sneek-peek...
    Now I know that I need an idler on the alternator belt...what a differance in PWR!!!
    Boosting-UP...equals..more work...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLnHFJv0bRg

Sorry, my video work is not as good as Iron's but I'll get that figured out later this summer...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. fupabox

that's some fairly expensive injection fluid....why would you want to move away from water/meth....?....are you trying to run more ignition advance and are hoping for more knock reduction under boost?....have you considered propane injection ..but only under boost? you would get added cooling benefits and run cleaner...be easier to regulate than water injection

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Fupa, you are totally right about the LPG injection consideration, but consider this:
    If I was doing this conversion on something large, like a 350, the cooling effect would out-weigh the FUEL-TYPE power differential of the LPG, but not on something small like this (even, just for injection); IMHO.
    I am looking at going to TDC on the timming, with the 104 under boost...eventually...

One step at a time. Initially, even under 7PSI of boost, it seems that I am not getting ALL of the PWR available HERE; "TING" due to ignition contamination (wires&plugs) and "PING" under "LOAD" conditions (after the boost-up); with the water/meth. Just due to the hi-compression engine AND the added BOOST...IDK..NSAM...
    I might "get-away" with a cheaper substitute in the short term; but not in the long run.

I really need a "full-control" sustitute injection fluid so I can dial-in all of the mechanical variables. 104, takes this variable "away".
    Wires&plugs will take the "TING" away.
    Then I can dial up the timming.

Spin the 15s at speed, or blow up the engine; seriously, that's where I'm at now...

AND, even after my 30k run @ WOT, under "BOOST", I could still hold my hand on the SC; just barley HOT... :confused::confused::confused:
    I guess "bolting it right to the huffer", on the "suck-through" system paid-off...:sly:

We'll see...

There really is, still, a lot of work to be done; but it will be done.

Mid June, I really need this guy to get to my seasonal trout fishing streams, so, I'm motivated to get him "done".

JUST WAITING FOR PARTS....:pop::pop::pop: CAN-POST, from the west coast; could take....FOREVER...

10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

"Blow up the engine"...

Yea, getting a little crazy there. Trying to get everything dialed in with tuning and the gizmos...:eek:

Parts came in and the work was done. Turns out that the plugs and wires were causing a greater problem than I gave them credit for. Drained the gas tank's 87 dry, filled back up with the 91...water meth @ 4cc/minute, timming advanced to 4deg.....DONE

No Ping no Ting no Knock, just pulling power. Seen 7psi max boost. Spin the 15s, no problem, passing power no problem, 0 to 60 is FAST, for a 0.6L mini:D
    50% power increase FOR SURE, probably more...
    Can't get this driver's side video thing figured out though. Did road trials tonight for 2hr, and all the video's no good.....
    1) Alt belt screems like crazy now...anything over 2psi..
    2) starting to lose studs off the kumho's....never thought of that...
    3) seat needs to be finished...locked down
    4) hard wire system operating components

A lot less work left than I thought, mechanical and engine, all done.

You ever been totally satisfied one minute, then totally pissed off the next?
    I was heading down the 4-lane, boosting, passing, checking the analog readings on my boost-O-meter, smilling...I KNOW, the job is done...:cool:

Then, ya, the cherries come on,...pull over and wait. Cop (she), comes by the left side, looks in the window, then walks over to the right side and just stands there and looks at me, like she's Billy-Bad-Ass. We square-off for a second, then I'm like "WHAT!!?". "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING 98 IN A 60 FOR?"
    :confused::confused::eek::eek:______:rolleyes:

"Ahhhhhh, cus I'm a dumb ass?"
    That saved me....we work it out, I give her the yatta, yatta...she's cute..I let her know it....and I'm on my way...Ticket, 70 in a 60..OK...
    Broke my 7 year run though, never been pulled over in 7 years:cool:

So, I need some more video, so, I head to the OTHER side of town, get a coffee....start doing some 0 to 60's (100)....I'm getting some 18s, GPS lag is a little confusing though and I'm trying to figure out what the differential with the truck's gauge is at speed, when I look up, and......ya, the cherries come on....this time the cop come right up on the right side...and says,

"You're a dumb ass"

[​IMG]

I'm going fishing...

11. fupabox

2 in 1 day.....oh man that honks....still funny though....sorry:frustration::D:):pop::p

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Not funny, IRONIC...

BANG, the "Interceptor" is dialed IN. Just like that, and I'm pissed off.
    A long story but, you had to be there. I'm doing hi-speed road trials in a custom boosted mini truck, and the cops are giving me tickets, left and right.
    Should have known better.
    The Interceptor belongs in the bush, doing donuts whilst climbing hills and throwing dirt of the 11" wide Titan 489s.
    The road trials are over.

That phone #'s not much good anymore either...

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, first time out with my RSX after I turbo'ed it was much the same story :eek: Oops, this car can go 45mph in 1st gear... and I already shifted into 3rd. Lookin' forward to some off road arse kicking!

14. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I've got a few more hundred K on the "Interceptor" now (after the wires and such) everthing IS; dialed in, I'm very happy with the performance, but mostly, the torque...BIG DIFFERANCE..this is how he should have come from the factory. Only down side, burns premium like CRAZY!!! I just can't stop driving it like a formula 1; got to stop that...

So, I got the original "Winter grip 155's" back on, just for the summer highway travel. Running back and forth to the trout stream camp area.

Just ridiculous, 1st gear is for the bush, second...have to take it easy, but 0 to 80kph dropped from 15s to about 10s...:cool:

Something to be said for "rolling resistance". I wouldn't have believed it would make that much difference, but it did. The Titan 489's are 24's, but run half as much weight as the Kumho's, with the CT "steelies"...we'll see how they perform...

I'll get some video out later this summer after a few "bush runs"...but the nephew is about to finish school and wants to take control of that:pop::pop:
    I only hope that he can produce as well as Iron....

Cuz, it's just stupid, with the 11 Inch wide rear Titan's, climbing sand hills, with the diff-lock on. It's not the "suzuki carry" anymore....

It's the "INTECEPTOR"....

PS: off-road arse-kicking, to follow...

16. fupabox

Don't know how I missed that last video ???:confused:...the growl sounds cool.:)...I know what you mean by rolling resistance,I've been trying to pass that one on for a few months now.....had 175/70s and swapped for 155/80s and the difference was quite noticeable.......when's the MFP paint job coming :):D

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

18. fupabox

Is your camera mounted on the windshield???....cool video...looks like you had to do the "survivorman" ...set up camera......go far away....move through camera's field of vision....go way back and retrieve camera...:D

19. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, had some fun with it, turned out ok for my first attempt. Did the survivorman thing a few times, had a hard time with figuring out a mount for the inside....it was infront of me the whole time...GPS windshield mount...now I can mount to any glass in any position..simple. ;)

Got a lot of raw video over a week having fun with the truck but turned out that a lot of it got corrupted once the SD card got over half full.:frustration: I had some wicked sand climbing in there. Not sure if I will be able to recover the AVI files but I'm learning a lot which is what I like about doing projects in the first place. 3gpp...zamzar...file headers, now I know why people go to school for this stuff. This video started out with no music, but there is this annoying tic,tic,tic going on, quite loud, audio was added to cover that up, that's why the level is so high.

Respect Iron, this video stuff is hard work...but kinda fun too.:D

PS: More beer = beter video[​IMG]

20. starpuss

starpuss Member

we still want to see a video of it ripping up pavement!.