1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Charger Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by spaner, Jan 21, 2010.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Forgot, blew the AC out the rear cross-over line at the mounting point, can't fix the aluminum line until I find that last MAGIC aluminum welding rod I have stashed away "some where". I don't think you can buy them anymore.:confused:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

send me your address and I'll mail you one (magic aluminum rods) I have a bunch squirelled away,

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that. I found the "alumiweld" site and ordered a pack, and then found two rods in the bottom of a tool box in the trunk of my car. Cheap to buy anyway...

Just got back from two weeks of kicking the cr@p out of the truck in the back country.
    Tore the coolent lines out,
    Ripped the he!! out of one of the front Titan 489's,
    Bent the he!! out of the 12" arctic cat front rim, at the same time,
    Bashed the body in just above the left head light,
    Dented the diver's door in,
    and ripped the 2" ball and bumper off the rear of the truck...

All in all, had a fantastic time...
    Two weeks of fun = Two weeks of work in repairs, but that's fun too...

Had this "montage" in the works from way back when, not sure why I didn't finish it?
    Closed it out with some Tiesto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XS6ubLFH7A

4. erixun

erixun Member

Cool video! Do you have any pics of you "kicking the crap" out of your truck in the back country? Sounds like you had a blast!!

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, kicked the crap out of it:D FUN, FUN, FUN:pop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. erixun

erixun Member

Holy CRAP! Kicking the crap out of it was an understatement! Looks like you "endo'd" onto the pavement!

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Almost; :D

FUN in the build, and FUN in the use. I don't ever want to be afrade of scratching the paint or bending something, if I was, I'd PARK IT:sly:

Ever get a "door ding" in fresh paint on a new car? I've had it happen within 24hr of a new purchase, and 3 days after completing a 5 year build on my 71 GT6+; ruined my whole summer.

No more. Now the first thing I do when I get a new car; I KEY IT.

That's just how I roll:D

8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting damage. Makes me think water was involved...

Its got character now! :cool:

9. fupabox

I say we keep trying to guess the method of destruction til we get it right:D

....on the passenger front and A piller I'm thinking tree across your path at a 45 degree angle and got wedged under it

10. downhere

downhere Member

It's a hard concept to follow! As far as your toy's, they are meant to be driven hard. Daily driver nope. I do believe we put to much stock in our possessions but... Well it sure looked like you enjoyed yourself. A video of the of it rolling down the mountain would have been cool.

11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

For those that still don't "get it", here is the concept charger in actual operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKU10qE_68

Hell, you must understand how it works by now...:sly:

But, I'm still getting questions, like "how can it be stopped, if the engine is still running"....CUZ IT CAN :p...Air is the "example" of a compressable gas..:frustration:

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. fupabox

did you have to make the log bridge or was it there?....glad there's no wipeouts involved this time...excellent:D

14. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

No wipeouts, 0 - damage. Took it real easy this time out.

Log bridge is not my work. I was crossing that washout with nothing there, until 2 weeks ago. MNR decided to block it off completly with some heavy equipment work. After they left...a "team" came out and "undid" what the MNR contracted out to close off. It's about a hundred Km of road acessed through here that they "wanted" blocked off....It didn't take.

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The Kumo's "up front", worked out great. 40PSI in the front, and they just "perch" on top of the rocks, and sand climbing is way better. Some hills that I couldn't climb before, well now I can. The fronts float on top of the sand, instead of trying to "dig-in", bog down...The rears still "conform/absorb" over rocks and such but dig way too much on the hard packed gravel. If I hammer down, I just leave two, 2" deep ruts behind me. Great for showing off, but not for climbing "high-speed" open road hills. Can't acc on the open road unless I'm in 4WD, but that saps 10% PWR, on it's own..:confused:...Ladder-bars, maybe...

This one's for Iron...80's TECHNO FUNK...
    I forgot that such a thing existed...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGfBHBbbDI

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

NICE! :D Have you ever wanted to install a chainsaw across the front of the truck to cut down all that scrub brush?

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hell yes, but can't do any maintanance on the route at all, or just enough to get through the 7km that ends at this particular lake. Trophy size 18"+ small mouth.
    Nobody that knows about it wants any improvements at all.

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nice! I found a lake that is apparently undiscovered by anyone with a fishing pole that has nothing but walleye and largemouth in it... I fished with worms and a bobber and only caught baby bass. No perch, no sunnies, nothing but bass and walleye :) I'm not doing any trailblazing to that sucker either :D

19. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, you gotta keep these secret spots secret. I knew about this place from 25 years ago, when my uncle brought me in there. Crawled in with his International Scout (Deliverance), fully modified; runs in the family. A few campers and fished out, but there was something about the place, and I remembered how to get in there. Now, impossible to get a trailer in there, and I've got the only hunt camp around, right on the beach. Only a few people show up "now and then" (ATV's pulling car-tops), to hook the starving monsters. :D
    The best part; too difficult for the MNR to get in there to "Tag-Me", 21days, my ass.:sly: "Still not loven police".

Back to the build:
    Been keeping my eyes open locally for a used Arctic Cat 12" wheel (or bolt-on equivalent) to replace my front destroyed one, and put the Titan 489's back into use; on the front. "Ride like marshmellows":p....great for the high-speed section, 95km commute on gravel. Can't beat the ride. Then, the other day thinking about where I could find one, I realized that there is a stock one sitting on top of my gas tank.:eek: Funny, about these revelations. :frustration:....Fixed.

Boosting:
    Thought it would be of note to mention, that my boost level prediction, from way back when, was bang on.
    @ WOT:___________Idle being set @ 950...or @ 2000
    Idle to 2500RPM-3PSI
    3TRPM+---------4PSI
    4TRPM+---------5PSI
    5TRPM+---------6PSI
    6TRPM+---------7PSI

Had it up to 8500RPM...ONCE:eek:.....7PSI

Interesting to note that the Asin AMR reaches full practical VE above 6TRPM, and that there is no need to spin these suckers at the 18TRPM, to get the full potential, as quoted elsewhere.

Low RPM, low boost...high RPM, high boost. Worked out perfect. I wouldn't change anything. Just...maybe, water-meth to NOZ injection:cool:

[​IMG]

Getting tired of the videos, maybe a few more, SAND, HYWAY. Need to come up with a few more mods, for the winter "in-the-shop" season.:cool: Altenator-belt-wrap, Front-slider, Front-axle-MTC, MFP-theme-decals, and NOZ. Need a few more, to occupy 6 months of work, or go back to "work".:( (been on mini-truck sabbatical, yayyy) Working in the winter, sucks, but, working in the summer sucks....MORE.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  20. fupabox

21. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Thanks Fupa, those are some wicked paint jobs.
    I'm looking forward to getting it all put together.

This winter shop time is going to be very busy, good times.

22. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

CV carburetor tuning and rebuild

So, I'm very excited to let you know that I'm almost finished with the carb investigation for my suzuki carry. I've got the mikuni 77 series with the 2+3 vacuum line conections.
    I always had problems with this carb from day 1. It was always running too rich and the air/mixture screew did not seem to make any difference at all for idle or wot. After removing the carb and making a full study of it, I considered getting a kit for it, or even just buying a "rebuilt" carb from the same vendors. What I decided to do was the same thing that I have always done with any carburetor, I sent it to a shop that works on nothing but carburetors. Like I mentioned in another thread, they were almost insulted that I offered to put them in touch with a vendor that had "parts"; "this is what we do, everyday".
    This carb has had seafoam and a lot of attention in general, but the one thing I could never get it to do was run leaner with better milage.

So, he calles me back today, it's done. It's been dipped, and all components were replaced with crossed parts from his stock. Aparently it was very dirty in general and the problem with the air screew was that all of the orings/seals were dry-rotted, so fuel was passing like it was set at max mixture.:D

I'm very excited to get it back and should take about 3days; just down the street from fupa. I've set the links below for referance to the complete information. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the vendor information as they have nothing to do with mini trucks or this site.

Full carb adjustment and vacuum line routing
    http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=12911
    Choke system function and adjustment
    http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=13441

Ho, yea...total bill...same price as a kit...:D

23. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

OK, OK..stop PMing me..

Carburetor Rebuilders Co. Ltd.
    60 Eugene St.
    Toronto, ON,
    M6B 3Z4

1-866-990-8114
    donoake@rogers.com

Don is the guy to talk to, but I can tell you what he's going to say;
    "give me the carb, and I'll call you when It's done"....

Let's see if the moderators will let it stand....:pop:

JMM likes this.
  24. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Carb came back...:D Easyest rebuild I've ever done...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Vacuum Leak!!!

So after a few years of fooling around with the truck and replacing just about every vacuum line on the truck. I find another vacuum leak. :frustration:

I never did test the control lines off of the VSV controler. When I turned on the lights, the idle went up so I figured the system was fine...wrong.

Last part of looking at the carb after it came back from the rebuilders. He just does the carbs, not the actuators. This might be why my engine idle went down every time I turned on the AC. I have the two port VSV and the second vacuum control switch, some just have the one...no AC...:confused:

Anyway, the actuator has two diaframs for two separate controlers...talk about being over engineered. Two separate load requirements, to prevent the rpm from changing....depending on the requirement one pulls about 75% compared to the otherside.

So the carb actualy as 4 vacuum controled diaframs...:eek:
    1 for the choke 85% position, 1 for the idle-up controler, 1 for alternator engine load, and one for the air conditioner engine load. My ac load diafram was cracked and sucking air evertime I turned it on.
    Quick fix, both controlers to one diafram...

Attached Files:

26. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Got the carb installed today, kinda. What a pain in the @ss. A little more involved than you're average DD51t. Your two standard mounting points, plus a mounting plate, plus three gaskets, plus the spacer...and then you got the 4 M6's that are just about impossible to get a wrench on...quarter turn...flip wrench...quarter turn...flip wrench...X4...X 3/4 inch...:frustration:

Last time I say, for the 5th time, last time...:mad:

Took me almost 4 hours to hook-up the coolent lines and run-in those bolts..but worth it. Not even adjusted yet and it fired right up, and no more hesitation, none. That rebuild did the trick. Instant power now, revs right up, and after running for about 10 minutes, I can tell that the engine is running a lot leaner, a lot leaner. It's happy now...and me too...:cool:

I'll keep plugging away at it, but kind'a sucks when you have to shovel out your shop bay...:eek:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I'm going to start posting more on this thread cu'z as I find out different solutions, guys do not use the search function anyway.:confused:

1) Completed testing of the VSV controler. There are two completely different systems here. The A/C and the Accessories. Each system was checked for individual vacuum "pull", under system engagement. It was my A/C diaphragm that was cracked and leaking vacuum whenever the A/C system was turned on. Two posts up^, I was going to "T" the systems together, but that caused a whole bunch of problems, as each system dumps to atmo when de-energized. I just eliminated the A/C-up, and set the remaining system the way I want it to work. Just the Acc-up remains, and it is now set to give 2TRPM if:
    a) the rad cooling fan comes ON
    b) the interior fan is selected to "HI", lower selections do not activate the system
    c) the park lights are turned ON, second position to headlights, will drop RPM to 1800 due to alt loading
    When I use the A/C system, I will either turn ON the park lights or, select fan to HI. The A/C switching components I will re-task to the water-meth system for solution to other problems that I have uncovered.
    Driving, park lights ON, 2TRPM+ to compensate for the 14deg BTDC boosting base setting.
    The more the fuel, the more the advance (time-to-burn), the higher the base RPM (snap-lag).

2) After eliminating almost all of the WOT snap-lag, through carb rebuilding and tuning and other measures, as above. I've found that the distributor check valve was reverced, preventing any vacuum advance at low RPM and WOT (fly-weights-advance above 3TRPM). It worked out well anyway, as all other tuning was employed prior to finding this problem, so it is now the best it could possibly get, and it is snappy now. I tuned out the lag below 3TRPM, but now it's snappy. From reading the theory, the check valve is required to prevent snap-back and back-firing under certain conditions, the system requires a "retard" delay.

3) The water-meth system is very simple in it's design, in that it injects higher octane methanol and water into the system to help aid in a slower burn and, to prevent combustion prior to ignition due to compression heating, as well as scavenge latent heat. "Change of state", of H2o or "chemical intercooler". The charger dosen't even get warm. It needs this as it is the 10.5 to 1 compression ratio and the charger is putting out 7PSI. Even running with 91. You either lower compression, or you run meth. Lower compression=lower power. There is a lot of theory in previous posts and on the net.I had just filled the bottle and disconected the controler, to tune the idle settings on the carb, when I noticed, after an hour, that the bottle was no longer full. I have a simple injection with this system, and thought that a check valve and filter would prevent any syphoning through the system of the injector. It did not. It was actually syphoning it right out of the bottle. The engine sure likes it. It ran about a 1/2L through it in an hour, at idle. Unpluged it and got 300RPM+ at idle. I run the 50/50 windshield washer fluid. I'll setup the re-purposed A/C vacuum control switch here when I get a chance.

It's amazing that the truck performed as well as it did in the past, with all of these little problems. Just makes me look forward to next season all that much more.

28. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

29. fupabox

Looks like a test of how much fun you can have in snow. Lol

30. Wedge

Wedge Member

Omg that was so full epic read from page 1 and now I want one would be so neat with camoplast track to go to my fishing holes on the lake. Would be faster then 60 km/h ... now I need a mini I don't just want one.