1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Charger Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by spaner, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

you were saying you were having trouble with traction? maybe see if some old lawnmower rims fit or something so you can see if you can get the power down, even in first gear lol

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

3banger, sorry, I guess that I was off, It's called REGENERATIVE BRAKING... and buddy here has it together...

http://www.waynesev.com/ev/regeneration.html

Hey, those look like my components....

Anyway, Stuff99, Lawn Mower Rims?
    My problems with traction, have been solved, I have located a set of 4...

Kumho Izen Stud, 195 55 R15 tires...Yes, these are STUDDED...and fit, @ 23.4" Dia...

60MPH = 66.6MPH...

Traction is NO LONGER, a problem...studs...yea, boy...:cool:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I am getting really close to the end now...

All of my remaning parts that were ordered, have come in...
    ...3 M8x1.25.100...full shank-high strength accessory mounts
    ...drive belts...6-ribbed 39"-Gatorback
    ....................4-ribbed 33"-Power Torque
    As well as the hybrid crank pulley, which Denis did a GREAT job on; perfect alignment.

Also, the studded tire and rim combination has been ordered; sometime next week, they will be mounted.

I do a lot of "off-text" D&D and can tell you one thing for sure.
    Guys on this fourm ask alot about dot3 rated tires "with a really agressive tread, like an ATV tire".

I can't really understand why. Off road is off road and street is street. If you want to do both, then you need both...2 complete sets of tires and rims.

An agressive treaded dot3 rated tire will shake your teeth out on the highway and your milage will go to shi#.

But, people should be able to make their own choices, and Kumho is betting on this;

KUMHO ROAD VENTURE MT, this is what you want, don't delay, the Koreans are about to pull out of the north american markets...

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Shuuush.....

[​IMG]

We must eliminate the engine bay incursion...and yet, better our position.....and comfort...within the unit...

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

take the armrests off the door sides and that should fit fine...good find

6. Stuff99

I took my arm rest off. bugged the hell outta me! lol

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

That seat was discontinued, too bad, I really liked it, but I ordered one that was "similar"; should be OK...

Full crank pulley and "gator" belt installed...static rev checks complete...but I will have to wait untill ALL of the acessories have been mounted and belted before I can tune out the inertial "bounce" from the carb...even just the "free wheeling" clutch seems to have an inertial "bounce" component... Two steps back, one step forward... More parts ordered..

Even the timing belt cover had to be "heat-treated"
    To fit the specs, and the first 30min of run time, I had to keep water on it untill it "molded-wore" into place...she was tight, with the 6 rib...

The good news; I am very happy with the static tests, the engine, under clutch engagement and WOT, rev check, yealds 6 PSI of boost, on the gauge, and "spools" Like a 2 cycle Yammy...R1...

The engine now spools from 1 TRPM to 7 TRPM, instantaniously....
    Just a single "tromp" on the pedal...it IS at 7 TRPM...

It MAY, have too much power...my calculations show 190% HP and 154% torque...

The studded Kumho 195 55r 15s will take it, but I'm concerned about the U-joints...

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

That's hot

Turbo Charger VS Super Charger;

Intercool this...

[​IMG]

Your engine air intake air flows through HERE!!!

Dump the HEAT, embrace the BOOST; control the octane, intercool the mixture...

COOL; in the front, HEAT, out the back...

What, could be easier...

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

My new seat

AS ORDERD...

[​IMG]

The fit, is perfect, just the arm rests, are 2 3/4" too low...

Close, is factory, far, is ideal, I hate modifying factory parts...but it is what is needed here...

2 3/4 arm rest extention plates will be fabed...

10. fupabox

It's waving at me...anyone else see that ?
    More comfy than stock?

Don't worry.. ..Phaedrus ......you'll figure it out:)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  11. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

Any videos on this build? I want to see this "art" in motion..

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Video, Video, gim'ee Video...

Fine, I'll give it a shot.

Open the youtube account, integrate the XDIV codec, etc.
    Upload one fail, (unknown format), upload two fail, (15min+), cut, chop, reformat, upload, capture, initilize, dongle connection, screen resalution too low, etc., etc...

I could build an entire rock crawler in the time it takes to do this computer stuff...(10year old nephew was busy with exams). This is why I don't do video, anyway...I think it works now...

I don't have any "hey, check this out" videos, but I do use the recorder for mechanical trouble shooting and this was back at the first road trial, checking pulley alignment, as they are all custom, and trying to integrate all of the mechanical adjustments including watermeth injection, choke level and clutch engagement VS vacuum; 1.5PSI lead level. This is all "in-traffic". Just listen to the sound...you can tell by the end that everything was getting dialed in. When it's right, it's right. Scared me at one point; spun the tires at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XS6ubLFH7A

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  13. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Need to get that idle figured out... Actually really cool vid!! Can't wait for some more!

14. Stuff99

very well done

15. fupabox

Neat vid....never thought I'd hitch a ride in the engine bay like that:p...now that we're hooked you realize you have to feed the addiction...more video:D

16. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ok, Ok...

I realize that the guys like the "video-format" Fupa, and that the "ART" rant runs a little cold on some, but the work progresses, regardless. Even the pictures? You guys didn't get anything out of that? Misting water-meth injector?

I guess it's all about the end result. The nephew says so. "It's all about the video Uncle". He really likes the truck and has offered to run the "cam-corder" over the summer and run the whole video integration thing. Little producer...

Maybe I should do that. The girl's still in the snow bank right now, but summer is comming.

Greg; the problem with the idle, was the mixture, (Too Rich) which came from the MASS-AIR-FLOW. Which was restricted, by the temporary hand cut mounting plates and the STOCK carb spacer (restrictive element)...

Both were considered, and eliminated...

The stock DD51t, has a restrictive mass-air-flow element, in the carb mounting plenum, 10% of mass?

Removed, the engineers are idiots; and the mounting plates were refined and cut, on the water-jet.

I guess, what you really want to see is a "boosting" video...
    Passing some s*it jetta, on the highway, or whatever...
    Or throwing dirt, off the 11" wide Titans...
    With the "back-ground" music...
    You can see that it revs like an R1...and at video point 6:06, it spun the tires, at speed...

Tic, Tic, where is your ART, is it really all about the video?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  17. fupabox

Myself...being a true Gemini...I love reading the Socratic dialectic style you post in..it's both the Phaedrus and Elechus,mixed with a dash of Robert Pirsig"s "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"...fun to read...The Monkey side of me loves the visual...keep up ALL the posts/info/tests/photos/video/sketches...and the "ART"....it's all good stuff:)

18. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The Summer Cometh...

And then, the video;

Thanks Fupa, I really appreciate the hype. I have enjoyed posting with my on-line persona, just as much as "some" have enjoyed reading. The work is "real", and I try to put a bit of a spin on it.
    This is A LOT, of work, but well worth it. This is a hobby, an escape, and it is about the doing; not the end result. Perfection of the ideal will be done, but when it's done, it's over.

I don't care how long it takes. I only care that it is done to perfection; that it works perfectly, in every way. That, is the ART.

Then the "build", becomes the "video"; another chapter in my enjoyment...

Shots of the previously mentioned restrictive elements.

Attached Files:

19. zardoz

zardoz Member

The "ART" and other observations...

spaner, I'm one that the "ART" wears on eventually... don't get me wrong my friend... I have followed this thread since it's inception (hasn't worn on me too much then... did it? ;) ). The poetic descriptors may not be to my taste... however the craftsmanship most certainly IS! Let those that can't bear the "ART" find another thread to follow :pop: I for one will continue to observe :cool:

My hat is off to you, every project you've detailed has been superb and obviously carried out in a very professional manner. I look forward to whatever projects you choose to share with us.

z

"arte et marte"

20. fupabox

I forgot to add in my last post...If you post more video,and it has "background music"...you will need to be hunted down...that supercharger engaging is the only "music" you need...:)