1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Charger Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by spaner, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Wedge

Wedge Member

I wonder how your setup would do with tracks ?

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Me too,
    I've been learning and watching for years for a deal to come up used, somewhere in my area.
    If you go full retail, bolt on, for the DD51t....between 5 to 7 thou, all said and done.
    I won't do it.
    With a little patients, a lot of knowledge, and a little luck,
    I think I've scored a slightly used top-of-the-line set for a few thou.

TJD Xgen..full kit...:eek:

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

4. Wedge

Wedge Member

Dont know if you can use the atv kit or if you need to have the utv kits or not ... TJD ar suppose to be the ones that loose the less speed.

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

They are supposed to be the best, third-generation.

UTV?
    I read a lot about the subject. So I'd ask first, can you put a set of UTVs on an ATV?
    Sure, right?
    Why?
    What's the main difference?
    For most types, it's just the longer rear track system. Just the rear, and we KNOW, that for the trucks, if anything, you want the better support in the front, for the weight...not the rear...

I never did like the idea of longer tracks in the rear. A good idea for a UTV but not for a mini truck.

As far as strength, you can see guys jumping 1200lb ATVs with the built in suspension on the Xgen...so?

I'm not worried at all at this point. Looking forward to breaking them..:pop:

6. Wedge

Wedge Member

Oh dont get me wrong i dont think that they wont be strong enough its more that you have less square inches for floatation. I guess it all depends if you are going to have cargo in the back or not I even see people putting the rear tracks up front the 116 inch ones.

Id add that the Tatou 4s is an excellent choice too, but TJD recognised the mini truck market and made a kit for it. Go for the deal you find and see if your local shops are reseller of TJD or Tatou if you need parts later on.

I for one wouldnt know what to choose between TJD an Tatou their is more info on Tatous then TJD but Tatou is more renowned because they make sled tracks. Id have to try both and compare.

my 2 cents.

7. Wedge

Wedge Member

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Your opinion is appreciated Wedge,

Nice link BTW, I might try these guys for a few parts. I like their site pic for parts; with complete exhaust systems hanging off the side of the supply shelving. Although, if you needed one, you'd go 2" right? NOT the factory PWR restriction system; but there's the thing. Knowledge in the sales... I'll try them though.

I like them cu'z, by the pricing benchmark of their inventory, the Interceptor with 14PSI boost, and a brand new set of tracks, a set of 24" mudders, and a set of 20" factory aluminums...I gots to be up near 20 grand on the resale value...:p (AC & diff-loc, PWR windows, a front turning brake, a front slider...)
    I never did make a complete list. I'd even throw in a paint job :rolleyes:
    Add a dump-kit, and it's 30 grand...

I'd have the 30 grand, but no toy; out of my dead hands, they'd have to pris the ownership.

:cool: Anyway, TRACK SYSTEMS;
    The tatou utv 4s tracks are fine, GREAT in fact. We are splitting hairs, I agree. Really depends on the bucks that it is going to cost you; installed and all. Right down to the penny for the gas you burned to go get them.
    What ever "them" is.

The Xgen internal suspension is a bonus, but I don't plan on doing any "jumps" off the end of beaver dams...so?

The real selling point for me came down to the fact that, everything is good, all considered, but the last, was the drive system. I prefer the center drive, with the holes in the center of the track. Just like a sled-system. The Tatou system drives via rubber gear cogs, integral to the molded track. I prefer the drive holes, reinforced with steel nib ribbing, and a protruding drive sprocket finger.
    That's just me though.
    To me, it makes the small difference to "pull the pin" and say "yea, these ones".
    Then, I add on the considerations of an integral suspension, and OF COURSE, the tax-free price and discount, of a used unit.

There is a lot to consider here, in the purchase of a track-system. If I could go a step further, I would get 4-"fronts" from the TJD Xgen system. The 4 wheel locations would all be identical, and be of the "front" type.
    This just makes sense to my "build-mind", and I would do it, if it were not for the cost difference. The cost out weights the application consideration here.

Also, don't marginalise the fact that the TJD Xgen system is mounted via a specific "hub adapter". This takes the place of both "bolt pattern" consideration, AND, "wheel spacer".
    A two-in-one mounting consideration...where the Tatou drive gear is a "multi mount" for bolt pattern, and then you have to consider a wheel spacer, where and if needed. Custom, and after-market for any mini...$

Here I am ranting away, nothing is for sure until it's done. When it's done, and tested...:sly:
    then, and only then, will we all know for sure...

:pop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoXEYcuhkc

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

After watching the video you better hold off on the paint job cause I think the Interceptor is gonna get dirty.

10. Wedge

Wedge Member

Thank you that is great information that I didnt know nor looked for, but you are right the hub adapter is WAY better then the other. Its probably why they lose less top speed then the other brands. Ill research the Xgen suspension system im curious on how it works and first thing that comes to my mind is that could be a breaking point in the system. Ill let you know what I find.

11. Wedge

Wedge Member

12. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

My two cents........stay away from the tatou......they don't have built in suspension for the bottom rollers. They are rough riding and tend to wrap up in wheel wells when rolling over say....A log or the peak of a frozen hill. We have lots of tracked mini trucks up here. Can get a set of tatou for about 1500 to 2500. No body wants them. Most people are switching to mattrack or the tjd think. I'm going to check out a set of the tjd later this week. I'd sure like to see Em in action before I try to get em........

13. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

My first choice would me mattrack. Then tjd.....then....api.......I think that's the one....then tatou. With the mattrack. Each track or wheel....weighs 100 pounds. But even at that your foot print is reduced to .479 psi. That's for a stock Suzuki with nothing in the bed and 4 front tracks. Perfect for me. At this point I just want any set as long as it's not the tatou. I've seen too many of those broken or wrapped up in the wheel well. Lots of damage!!! Guy with a hijet couldn't even open his drivers door to get out hahahaha. Ended up just welding it shut. Whole side was mangled hahaha

14. Wedge

Wedge Member

That is surprising I never heard anything good from mattracks... But for the tatous being hard that doesnt surprise me I think the Tjd xtrack should be the same way...

15. lectec

lectec New Member

Hey Moose, what is happening with the Tatou tracks? I would like to know, I have a set on my Mits Bravo, and haven't had any failures. But if you know of a failure point, I sure would be interested in knowing. This way I can avoid any costly repairs and worse yet one heck of a walk home.

16. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

The problems I've seen are when rolling over a log or cresting a sharp hill. Something that makes one track light but still grab. They wrap up in the wheel wells. Sometimes get real bad. I'm not sure on all the brands or what they use to try to stop that but this last arctic man two mini trucks with tatou had to be drug off the mountain. I was surprised.......This year there were about 10 of them up there. Watching them go was a blast and made me extremely jealous. But everyone I talked to had mattracks. Some of them had 3 different brands before switching to them. The ride is smooth. Like smoother than with wheels and the way the track conforms to the terrain was amazing. The tatou doesn't have suspension on the bottom boggie wheels. Has a beam that's rigid. They are great for soft terrain. But beat ya on packed. I was hoping to have got to try the tjd but the guy wouldn't let me. So I didn't make an offer and told him how I felt about it hahaha. I think that whatever people have. Brand doesn't matter....but whatever we have.....If it works well its great but if we have a problem it's the equipments fault. The reviews I've herd from owners are their views......wish I could see and drive each one myself hahaha. I have ridden in a carry with tatou and one with mattracks. ........I'm really hoping to find a set of mattracks hahaha.

17. Wedge

Wedge Member

I just tried yesterday a set of polaris tracks on a Ranger and I didnt not like them I know its not a mini but i felt the sxs was diging to much in the front and I had to back up and forth to make a trail to be sure to pass and the other one sxs built the same way we had got stuck when he dug himself while trying to get out and when the bottom of the sxs got on the packed snow he was screwed. we ahd a hard time taking him out of their. To me they were way to front heavy when backing up you had to very carefull not to have the front dig in. It was the first time I ried a sxs whit tracks I didnt like it. Seemed I could get stuck everywhere that wasnt packed snow. Their was about 2 feet of powder 2 feet of hard packed and the last foot was granular so about 5 feet deep to the ground. could walk on top better then the sxs ! Is it better with a mini ?

18. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

If any of you track guys need replacement tracks there is a guy on Craig's list San Diego Farm & Garden section has 3 sets of new tracks for sale.I don't know anything about them just passing this along.

19. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

The side by side (sbs) are driven with a clutch similar to a snow machine. If driven with tracks in 4 high they do tend to dig a bit but if in 4 low they do better. Snow is a funny thing. You are either able to go......or your not and buried quick hahaha. Momentum is your friend in most cases. We have a bunch of guys running tracks on there sbs up here. I think the mini trucks actually do better but only if you have weight in the bed to equalize front and rear weight

20. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

YEA, Yea, yea...
    It's become the "TRACK" thread.....:p
    No worries, cool. Info, via the members is cool, just remember to leave the egos at the "post button".
    Some of the info I can confirm, problems and breakage of the Tatos, via track-drive system...(keep-em tight)
    Also, via the TJD anti-roll-bars (threaded-rod lock-pin holes) weak-point (snappage), fix via cover, and support...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ng-Nut-15-Pieces-19177/202249724?N=5yc1vZc2gl

NOT-THE-PART, just an example of the "FIX" concept...

The guys here can make something good, better. Just remember to post the info that has come off the ATV/UTV threads, and not basic/biased opinion. Is one system better than the others?
    Lot's O guys out there to say, one way or the other. Research...

My money's still on the TJD "Xgen" system, and my buy has gotten me a 110.0mm "complete" mounting/application installation. After talking with everyone out there...
    I think that a simple 1 1/2" (diameter) "adaptor-kit" from 115/110 will suffice to adapt the "bought-kit"...to mount to the Interceptor.
    $200 bucks...
    4 adaptors, 115 to 110, TJD system...2 1/2" total deflection...

Power steering may be in the works later, but I like to do one mod at a time, and correct things as I go.

Months, before I finish anything...

:pop: