1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru Sambar Performance Engine Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Carl Swaby, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Hi All. I have been out of the loop for a while as I have been busy with work and my motor died on me. I had my connecting rod go and went through the block. Bought 2 other motors after to see if I could fit them in . Way too much work. I contacted Yokohama Motors in Japan as these guys have the know how on how to make things happen . I spoke with Don , the man. He advised me as to what direction to take. He asked me what kind of power I was looking for and I said about 200- 250 hp jokingly. I didn't think a motor of this size could produce that sort of power. He started the search for a certain kind of block and head that came in these motors unlike the one that is in my truck now. He was able to find one for me in good condition and then they started the build. From what I know so far, it has bigger pistons, bottom end is done with connecting rods, the cylinder head is done port and polish, valves etc.

The motor is currently in Canada and I hope to pick it up by Monday or Tuesday. Once I get the full report as to everything that's been done to the engine, I will post it. Here are some teaser pics. For those of you who have issues with these motors and thinking of putting in used ones, you might want to have one rebuilt by these guys. For what it would cost for the rebuild kit vs a crank shaft and a block(as my block was busted), it was well worth it. Now it should be able to handle my boost. I will update as soon as I install the motor. Thanks Dan the man at Yokohama Motors

Attached Files:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

whoa Nelly...how many hp are we gonna be looking at??? Agree ...Don is the man in Japan...

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hmm; port and polish +

An engine like that could prob'ly handle a little more than 7PSI boost...

I'd say I'm running 88hp but no proof, just experience and math...

When you're done we can compare some road times...

4. Jessf

Jessf Member

care to share the price? I bought a rebuilt and I have my old engine laying around, I may want to have these guys rebuild it and get a few more ponies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Hi all. I have been so busy with work and have been unable to answer. Even if i get 110 , i would be happy. I was trying to post a copy of the billl sheet as to what was done to the motor but i was unable to. I will try again tomorrow. I am really hoping for some good numbers. I was informed by Don that if it was a suzuki, he would be able to hook me up with a twin turbo engine. The cost all depends as to what you want to do to the motor. we will do a dyno run and compare hp.

Cheers.

Carl

6. Gunrock0811

Gunrock0811 New Member

Hi Carl. Any update on this? Really interested on what's was done, how much it puts out and the cost.

7. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Hi All. Sorry for taking so long to post more updates on the truck. We got it running this weekend after much hard work. We have installed the gsxr motor and got it to run. Now it's driveable. Still have to work out a few kinks as we can't seem to get the tires to hook to the road. I will post some pics later. For now, I thought that I would put a link to youtube so you could see the vids of the truck. I'd like to say a big thanks to Carlos and Peter at ERT tuning . Without them this build would not be possible. These guys are a bunch of geniuses. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXtT2OPnBo&feature There are 5 videos in all.

8. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

sweet build! that gsxr engine sounds like a beast. Adding some weight to the rear end and better tires will help you somewhat with your traction issues.