1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru Sambar 750 gsxr build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Carl Swaby, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Hi All. It's been a pretty summer/fall for me and also very disappointing. As you know i was working on a motor that was rebuilt for me from Japan.. The motor was installed in the truck and on my way home, 1/2 hour into driving, I heard the identical knocking that I had in the motor before which had blown apart. This was after spending $6k plus between engine rebuild, shipping costs and installation. Turns out the connecting rod bearing was gone on number 3 cylinder. I contacted Japan,and came to the decision that whatever the cost would be of the second motor , I would only pay for half.

I received the next motor a few months later. This time is was just a block. So we put the head from the old motor onto the rebuilt block. You guys are going to love this part as it broke the record. I got the motor running, got in the truck with the mechanic and decided to go for a drive. 5 minutes into driving, I hear the same knocking which I am all too familiar with. Remember now, I went with new pistons like the other motor had, new connecting rods and new bearings and it is a complete new bottom end that was rebuilt in japan. This motor only lasted 5 minutes! Number 2 connecting rod bearing was gone. I have been contacting the company in japan that rebuilt the motor. It has been over a month now and no one has contacted me.. In total, I have thrown about 12k out the window and I still don't have a driveable truck.. Originally, I wanted to build a motorcycle powered truck. Instead I deviated from that plan and it turned out to be a 12k lesson. Anyways, I am still waiting for a response from that company. I went back to the draft board. We stripped the motor from the truck. I bought a quaife sprocket differential. We had to machine the brackets to hold the bearings in place. I also bought a 2008 Suzuki gsxr 750 in perfect riding condition with very low km. I sat on the bike and started it. I couldn't take myself to take a ride on this beast. I feel more comfortable on 4 wheels rather than 2. We pulled out the motor and now we are in the process of installing it into the truck
    We are hoping to have her running in a couple of months. I will post pics from time to time so you huys can see what is being done

Attached Files:

2. werase643

werase643 Member

I have the same engine in a S-80LP right behind the cab
    I'm missing a fuel tank and ignition switch
    started parting out the bike before i found a truck with a bade engine

I had a drive shaft flange welded to a tube and the tube welded to the CS sprocket..... about 3 inches long complete thanks to a local driveline shop and $20 bucks
    then I found a pathfinder front driveshaft.....perfect fit....made the cable shifter a sequential shifter.....
    used the stock throttle cable for the truck
    not worried about reverse

good luck, it's pretty easy
    hard part is re-finding the parts I sold

3. werase643

werase643 Member

chain drive to LSD.....SWEET!!!!!

4. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. wreck

wreck Member

Nice Scirocco.

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Spaner likey.
    All I can say is don't rush it. If your goal is to have it done, you'll end up with a Junkyard Wars 20 minute life cycle..heh heh. Take a year to design and build it, and it will last a life time.
    Then maybe I'll have a few guy to race with;)