1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru front receiver hitch mounting

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by cabnfever, Aug 1, 2010.

1. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

So i bought plow for my subaru which i havent put together yet but thats another issue. The real issue is the front receiver and how it mounts as i dont think it will hold up with the plow. Take a look and if you have any suggestions feel free to give them. The only thing i have thought of is to weld the mount right on or weld it to a peice of angle and then weld that on.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hmm i dunno how strong that would be...

3. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

im pretty sure if i get it welded on it will work. That front bar is attached to the frame in 4 places in the front. This leaves a weak point in the middle but right behind the middle of that front pipe is where the pan guard attachs. Its a 3 point guard attaching at 1 point in the front and 2 outer points farther down the frame under the cab and its a ladder type guard/frame.

4. Stuff99

well then it will depend on the strength of that bar. I'm sure you will do a good job on the welding :D

5. anthill

anthill Member

If you're going to be welding, you could stiffen it up a lot by adding a triangular gusset welded along the top of the receiver and to the top of the frame bar.

6. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

good idea i hadnt thought of that. I was thinking of using gussets to support the bottom by connecting back further down the frame.

another pic i should have posted

[​IMG]

7. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

Ok so its mounted...I decided to use a 1/4" think plate bent to a 90 deg to run completely accross the front rebar that the receiver is supposed to mount to. It measures 35"w, 2"s inside deep by 5"s inside tall. First I cut off the tow hook and lower cowl tab. Then drilled the 2 mounting holes completely through the front bar as it only has holes on the bottom of the bar. Then 2 holes through the bottom of the plate. I test mounted the plate and hitch with just bottom bolts only. Marked on the outer upper corners where to cut for welding plate to rebar. Took the ass'y off and had my buddy weld the receiver to the bottom of the support plate. We then bolted the complete peice back on and he welded the plate corners to the front rebar where the chassis rails line up. After it cooled shot it with paint and slapped the front cowl back on.

heres some pics of how it went

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Looks great good job:) Looks like the Subaru has a lot more front protection behind the bumper than the Hijet has...on the hijet it's just a thin plastic bumper..and the steel in the toes of your work boots:(

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. Stuff99

forgot about this thread! that was a heck of a way to upgrade the front and put the receiver in there!