1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struts/shocks question

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Racie35, May 12, 2020.

1. Racie35

Racie35 New Member

I know you can buy replacement struts for most of these , but does anyone sell an improved strut shock? Like a Monroematic etc? So, a step,up from stock.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I haven’t run across any. but I haven’t really made a concerted effort to look. My plan is to install a secondary shock absorber as teh current set of struts wear out, and leave teh struts as essentially guide rod assemblies. I can buy some very fine, tune able shock absorbers for a lot less than one strut.

Limestone likes this.
  3. Racie35

Racie35 New Member

Might not be much room for the addon though

4. Racie35

Racie35 New Member

Someone that starts making shocks for these(struts) is gonna get rich

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Not so sure their gonna get rich! Just doesn't seem to be enough of these vehicles on the market to make anyone rich! Supply and demand, comes to mind!
    Limestone

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’m certain I’ll have room for the second shock. I’ve seen it done.

This video gave me the idea. At about 1:30 he shows some shots of how he double shocked his build.

And his Scarry build is pretty cool:

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Adam Wheeler likes this.
  7. ttc

ttc Active Member

dear god how much weight did they add to that poor truck

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

you can get struts for the 80 series out of europe.

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

You can, but they are still expensive. I’m driving an S110P, so so far as i know I’m stuck with the Japanese market, and they are expensive. And the new strut doesn’t have any better dampening than the one it’s replacing, and will fail for the same reasons.

The damping gets blown out long before strut wears to the point it won’t guide the suspension. So, my plan is to add a shock absorber with the proper dampening for the loads my suspension puts on it, and continue to use the strut as just a guide assembly.

The Original Poster, was asking if anyone made better struts. And, I am unaware any. But you can improve the dampening by double shocking.

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

you can get coil overs for them doesnt the guy doing the rx7 engine swap have coil overs from hello special maybe. strange thing is my drivers side strut did wear out. i did price the struts in japan and ya they are expensive. i got ones from europe for the 80 series but they differ slightly to that on the 100 series. i am sure they could work in a pinch. i ended up buying a parts truck on the cheap only thing missing is a shifter cable and the front diff lol