1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struts and brakes?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by KCCats, Feb 12, 2017.

1. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Has anyone ever tried to Up Date the front end?

What about the possibility of taking a 97 Geo Metro front strut assembly and adapting it to a 91 Cary?

This would give me not only larger ventilated disc brakes, a heavier coil spring, replaceable struts,
    but also an A arm for more strength!

About all that I see so far (just looking at it) is if the splines are the same on the half shafts, if not cut and weld?

I am planning a 2" body lift and a piece of plate steel across the entire floor board anyway, so adding an
    A arm support would be no biggie!
    Even if the A arms are longer wont matter!

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am down to finding the right length strut!

3. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Is it possible to weld to a strut?

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Hm! That part number comes up as fitting a 93-98 Volkswagen Jetta. Which opens up the possibility of better struts, by looking for performance struts for a Jetta.

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Exactly and the cost is a lot less!
    I'll keep you posted as I find out more?

7. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Something to be aware of about those struts. The pic shows the mount for a tapered spring (larger diameter at the lower end than at the top). Mine is a 2002 and it has a coil spring which is a constant diameter from top to bottom. Don't know when the design change came about, just for information. Years ago when I lived in the states, I used to "play with VWs quite a bit. The Super Beetle & Rabbit struts are of the same type too, so you may have some more options to look at.

Fred

8. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Yeah that's why I went there
    Im not concerned about the springs, I'll be using the 275# from Summit!
    But I want the bolt paten to fit the 97 up Metro hubs?
    From what I have seen so far the Metro has the larger Vented rotors!
    I hope to make a collar to fit the ID of the metro and go over the splines of the truck?(It is smaller)
    Then I may have to turn the inner bolt pattern raised lip that centers the rim?
    I have already located where the extra Tab will need to go for the Lower Control Arm will go!
    No more Radius arms!

9. land lord

land lord New Member