1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straight axle swap,3 link or 4?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by dodgert4x4, May 13, 2008.

1. dodgert4x4

dodgert4x4 New Member

has any body done this before or thought about it? im in the market right now looking for a suzuki mini and was thinking about maybe puting jeep axle's under it for the simple fact that you can have just about any gear,locker combo you want.you can also put a bigger lift and tires.i dont know about ya'll but all im going to use mine for is to go muding.would this be some thing ya'll would do?

'
    '

2. decibles

decibles New Member

If you do it i will buty the IFS

3. dwink

dwink Member

A jeep buddy of mine was talking about the same thing! The narrow track axles are always for sale pretty cheap. I have not really looked at how feasible it would be.

4. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

driveline angles and power would be big issues.

5. gbrad

gbrad Member

Yeah,

Power loss might be an issue. I'd be interested to know how it works out.

gbrad

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

the first day i got mine, my buddy was trying to talk me into using toyota (since it's a close cousin to the daihatsu) pickup axles (pre tacoma). he said they would give it a wider wheel base, more stability, and since they have the removeable 3rd member it would be easy to change to any gear ratio i wanted... not to mention they are a lot lighter than a big jeep axle.

7. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

The Dana 30 isn't much larger or heavier than the one's we have. The 44 is getting up there. I wouldn't go much wider though. You'll need to put the spring pads on the top of the axle, jeeps are spring under. Up front I'd go with the four link. Watch for center section placement. Don't discount the use of Suzuki Samarui axles. The front one is weak with tires over 31" or so, but that means you can get them cheap. I doubt you'd break one with 660cc. What you really need to do is watch out for your gear ratios. Good luck and as always, take pictures.

Yeah, I was thinking of it too.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  8. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

Just checked, the front axle on a Sammy has the pumpkin on the right, so, no good for me in the Mitsu.