1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock tire diamater options

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by matt167, Oct 20, 2018.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Without lifting or otherwise at least changing effective gear ratio, there are very few options for these little trucks.. Stock tire diamater is about 21.13" relative ( no 2 brands measure exactly the same )

I set out to get decent tires for my '92 Carry which is my primary daily driver. After a decent amount of research, and size comparing I came up with 155/65/14 which per calculators is 21.93". However, tires are sized on a measured rim width, usually in the middle of it's range. A 155/65/14 can be used on a 4"-5.5" wide rim with the measurement being on a 5" wheel. Tire will end up slightly taller on a narrower rim, and shorter on a wider rim. I elected to use a set of Raceline 14x5.5" wheels with a 5" backspace. As it's the widest wheel that can have a 155/65/14 on it, measured and inflated next to a stock 145R12, the difference in height is negligible. 3-4/32" taller at best... Now the tires that are available pretty much starts and ends at Nokian snow tires but they are the best. The Nordman 7 is available factory studded and the Hakkapalita R2 is available studless.. Keep in mind they are not the cheapest tire ever, will be about $90 each installed if you don't get any kind of discount

I opted for the Hakkapalita R2 and I will run them year round.. The wheels clear everything fine. and grip is nice. No more chirping first at a stop light. They have a max weight rating of 853lbs at 44 PSI, so basically perfect for a mini truck. I run them at 32 psi for a softer ride commuting.

A 165/65/14" would only be slightly larger and a Veredestin Quatrac 5 ( all weather rated ) is available in that size

Attached Files:

2. harley rose

harley rose Member

I went with a 25x10x12 on a 8" wheel. Only minor trimming required LOL

Attached Files:

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

completely different purpose though lol