1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock AM stereo in a S110p

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Badpenguin, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Badpenguin

Badpenguin New Member

Does anyone have any tips and tricks on removing the stock stereo from a 1996 Hijet. Any caveats with the wiring?

Do I need to take the dash off in order to take the stereo out, or is there a compatible stereo removal tool that works?

THanks

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I took my dash out when I did mine. The stock radio, on mine was screwed onto a bracket, which is screwed on. If I we’re younger, I might have tried standing on my head to see what was going on with the bracket. But, I’m not young anymore, and even with the dash opened up, I still had a hard time seeing with my line less trifocals.

Assuming your Hijet is an S110, the stock radio is also screwed to the bracket, which is screwed to the truck.

I just checked to be sure, and I didn’t take any photos of mine apart.

Just checked and there are a couple of radios on eBay, if you set location to worldwide, which have the bracket attached.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  3. Badpenguin

Badpenguin New Member

OK...will look for a place that it is screwed in. Tried looking under dash, but like you said...you need to be a contortionist to get up in there. I was trying all the stereo removal tools I had and it wouldn't budge...now it makes sense. The next fun part is getting to that little speaker...from what it sounds like...at least I think it is only one.

I bought a little 2 1/2" deep stereo that has built in speakers...see how that sounds...may just bypass the built in!

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

The ones on eBay right now have the brackets attached, and by looking at where teh bracket is still shining, you can tell where teh screw heads covered it.

Pulling the dash isn’t too hard. there are two screws going up, in front of the gauge cluster. Pull them out, and then run a trim puller around popping the clips loose. As you bring it towards you you’ll find it attached by the wiring to the switches. They all have polarized quick connect clips. Un-clip them and the dash just wiggles up past the steering wheel and comes out. I’ve fought with far worse.

I tried the little radio with the built in speakers. Didn’t like it. There are precut cutouts for I think 4-inch speakers in the door metal, and matching spots in the door panels. So, it isn’t too hard to add speakers in the doors.

If you want I can post link on Amazon to the radio, speakers, etc. I used Figure a full weekend if you do the install I did.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  5. Badpenguin

Badpenguin New Member

That would be great...do you happen to recall the wiring configuration? It looks that I have Red, Green, Black, White and White/Black on the stereo.

Thanks for your help...your suggestion worked with the dash!

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Here’s what I put in:
    BOSS Audio Systems 611UAB Multimedia Car Stereo - Single Din, Bluetooth Audio and Hands-Free Calling, Built-in Microphone, MP3 Player, No CD/DVD Player, USB Port, AUX Input, AM/FM Radio Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3QBROA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wIgrFbCD5C74X

These speakers fit the holes in the doors: Pioneer TS-A1072R 4-Inch 3-Way 150-Watt Speakers (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LYABHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FKgrFbH51KJRD

I put these behind the speakers to keep them sealed up and dry. they also keep things from being boomie: InstallBay Acoustic Baffle 4 Inch Shallow Round - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NX5CFQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VQgrFbW7FDYFY

I mounted one of these to the door, then the foam cup, then the speaker, then one over the speaker to get a place to mount the grills: uxcell a15060800ux0510 Car 4 Inch Inner Dia Speaker Spacers 2Pcs Black, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012TB72U8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DSgrFb07M0RNB

These are the grills I used: uxcell 2pcs 4 inches Speaker Grill Mesh Decorative Circle Woofer Guard Protector Cover Audio Parts Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZ26HTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_s3grFbNGPYKDX

I ran the speaker wires into the left headlight well, and then back into the doors. The speaker wire to the right side runs through the the space behind the panel that has the Hijet emblem punted on it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  7. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

For those of us entirely too lazy to install door speakers, here is what I installed. The radio fits nicely, and does not protrude past the existing dash trim. It connects easily through bluetooth. It sounds amazing--rivals the Mark Levinson systems I am used to! Actually, no. It sounds....ok (good enough?). It does have some additional RCA outputs if you decide you want to impress neighbors' kids sometime later!

Amazon.com: PolarLander Universal 1 Din 12V in-Dash Car Radio Audio Player Built-in 2 Speaker Stereo FM Support Bluetooth with USB/TF Card Port : Electronics

upload_2022-1-4_9-58-1.png

upload_2022-1-4_9-42-29.png

Original radios will usually (always?) be on top because there is more depth behind the dash:

upload_2022-1-4_9-43-20.png

HOWEVER, if you are installing a shallow radio (as shown above), you can EASILY relocate the cubby tray to the top slot utilizing the OEM bracket. The bracket has existing holes that allow for the cubby to be installed in the top position OR the bottom position. The radio I purchased was too wide for the OEM bracket in the top position, and the bracket would've needed to be cut or removed altogether. But, putting the radio in the bottom slot only required a slight bending of the OEM bracket, and all connection screws were retained (i.e., strong).

PLEASE NOTE: the radio must be removed (pulls out from dash) before the dash trim can be removed (if needed later in life). Thus, quick connections are recommended. I utilized an old 4-prong trailer connection I had...put the single exposed prong as the ground on the vehicle side, so that when unplugged and dropped back in the dash, you don't have a couple of hot metal wires exposed!

upload_2022-1-4_10-9-49.png

Liberty4Ever likes this.