stink

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Dmorency, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Hi, my little truck is starting to stink.:confused:After the motor warms up to normal, it will start to smell like I am burning old grease rags. The smell is coming from the muffler. One side of the muffler has turned black. Smoke comes from all over the muffler as if its on fire??It don't seem to be blocked, because smoke is coming from the tail pipe the same as always. Motor oil is good. But sometimes I will lose power. I would be driving along and change to 3rd gear but before too long I have to change back to 2nd and will have to limp along with my foot to the floor for awhile to build up speed.:confused::confused:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like your muffler has collapsed internally..they can appear fine and have exhaust coming from them and still be blocked up...unbolt it at the downpipe just in front of the catalytic converter and see if you have your power back...don't drive with a blocked exhaust it isn't good for your engine as the exhaust has nowhere to go . You can also test with a vacuum gauge,but unbolting the exhaust is just as easy.

3. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Thanks fupabox. I will check that. It will be next to impossible to get another muffler for my hijet around here. Is there another model that will fit?

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nothing that will bolt right up..1 1/4 inch is a tiny pipe..I used a 1980s corolla muffler but had to increase the pipe diameter from the cat. back