1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

States where minis are legal

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by cmaranto, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

the biggest problem i have met is that arizona won't regonize a vehicle that has no title. if it has been titled, or has passed a level II inspection it is a "real" vehicle.

once it has been titled they will recognize it and register it, no problem.

the vehicles must surrender their title for the export document that is not recognized as a "title" here.

you would have better luck building something similar in your garage and registering it.

on the note of the EPA standards, my truck is OBDI compliant and sailed through the eimissions.

it is, however, not crash tested or inspected by or endorsed by the FMVSS and that is why they will not register it.

the shitty thing about that is they are imported as "off road vehicles" but i can't get an off road title for it. that means if i want to take it to official BLM OHV sites i can be ticketed or have my truck impounded.

2. scottE

scottE Member

I only have to make a few turns on my way to work and most of it is right down long contry roads. I have a 80 mile round trip. I have looked up crash test ratings for alot of the mini trucks to help push the issue in LA, if anyone would like to see them I could post some web sites. Or you could PM me.

3. Mighty Milt

i drive my mini 3-500 miles a week. would it suck to get hit in? yes.

i've also been riding motorcycles for about 15 years. have i been hit on a bike? yes... twice. do i ride anymore? not so much.

it's a chance you take just getting on the road... it's not IF you are going to get hit, it's WHEN.

i was rear ended a couple months back in my mini, not too bad, just some sheet metal damage and some whiplash. and i still continue to drive it.

i was a flight engineer / crew chief on blackhawk helicoptors in the army. with over 500 flight hours with the special forces flying missions in iraq. to date about a dozen of my old buddies that were on flight crews have been killed in helicopter accidents / shoot downs... and for my vacation last month i got on a plane and flew to canada and wanted to do the helicopter tour over niagara falls...

none of this means i'm wreckless, it just means there are calculated risks people take every day.

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I think we are seeing, and will continue to see, that having a state law that seems to legalize mini trucks for road travel will not immediately or necessarily allow YOU to get a tag for your truck. There are differences in the various state laws and the bureaucrats may interpret similar language differently. Certain documents may be required and you may not be able to obtain them. An underlying problem is that new routines, forms, software modifications, etc., must be in place before kei trucks can easily and quickly jump through the hoops. But I am sure that presistence and pressure will bring some favorable results.

Sam

5. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

I have taken calculated risk all my life also. 32 yrs as a Trooper, 35 yrs of riding dirtbikes, and many other things. But the risk of serious injury in the mini.......vs........saving a little bit of fuel...........doesn't meet my calculations of worthiness.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

What makes you think these trucks are unsafe? Because they are small? I too am a LEO, and have seen many fatality accidents over the years, none of which were in compact cars. Size only plays a small part. I'm not denying the fact that if I were to be hit head on, that I would be in a world of hurt, but so would someone in a Chevy Cavalier, Honda Civic, Ford F150, etc....

I think most of us who drive these mini's drive a little more defensively because of the increased risk. However, most people are so intrigued by them that they notice me before I notice them.

Also it is not just about saving gas, you are also helping to protect the environment by using less fuel. It's been proven by several members that they pass the emmissions tests with flying colors.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you don't care to drive a Mini because of your assumed risk, then don't. But why then are you on this site to begin with?

7. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

Go back and read post #30
    You need to learn to read better, or comprehend better. I DO drive one. I said I have no desire to drive it on the hwy around here. If it was somewhere like Kansas with rural roads that run straight for a mile, that would be totally different.

If this forum is only for 'road use minis'............I was not aware of ti:rolleyes:

8. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I guess I don't "comprehend" from your post, so where do you drive yours? Huked on foniks werked for me!

9. Mighty Milt

big0, fuzz.... take it easy fellas...

we're all friends here, right? can't we all just get along :D

if i were to play devil's advocate i could really throw some fuel on the fire... but lets all let the fire die down, eh?

10. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

Sorry, I really don't see where I said anything wrong........but will try to do better anyway:D

And I assure you, those 2 that hit head on.............neither of them was concerned about the other one. But if it was me, driving the mini.......I would be very concerned and have the chance to drive defensively and take evasive action.

11. scesnick

scesnick Member

I have read on another forum that someone tagged a mini in Maryland and it was his daily driver. I have tried to contact the guy that posted this info but he has never returned to that site.
    I am selling my Yamaha Rhino, buying a mini and I REALLY want to know if I can tag it in Md.
    I have 2 buddies that are state troopers that I race dirt bikes with and they both tell me that if I put a third brake light on it, I should be able to tag it for atleast farm use.... I hope they are right...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  12. stevert

stevert Member

13. Gee...SMART CARS are legal...do you feel safer in them...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I would feel safer in a Smart than in a mini truck. BTW...The car in the picture crashed into the semi is actually a Volkswagon Fox.

15. phillip

phillip New Member

Does anyone know the status of Louisiana and their laws yet? I have a buddy that bought one. A few weeks ago, He told me they cant be titled. I didnt ask about the on/off road thing as I didnt know. Im not sure he does either.

16. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Gee milt you've changed your name.

17. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

again! I just got used to not refering to LawnGasCaulk. Good one. LOL

18. JetBoy

JetBoy New Member

94 Mini Mitsubishi street legal in Phoenix, AZ. Registered in Jan 09 with full plates and insured thru Progressive. Conflicting info as of July 09 Az no longer registering for street use. No a/c in mine but still drive it alot, more fun than my Caddy EXT. jetboy out

19. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

AZ title

just plated and insured[state farm $39 1yr] use it daily a local ride and as long as u don’t go on the freeways and numbered highways all’s fine. Did 40+ miles today and passed a couple of sheriffs and local city cops
    [​IMG]

20. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Congrats, Nice truck

21. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Do all of you who are able to register your trucks have the steering on the left? I've had loads of trouble convincing state governments to allow any RHD vehicle at all, even ones that are already sold in the USA into the country for road use. Just curious before I start harassing my local DMV about how I can get a truck on the road. In MN they are able to be driven on "designated roads" whatever that means; I'm assuming it refers to no highways which I'm fine with. Really the most important thing is, as was mentioned before, getting it registered to be street legal at ALL. After that as long as you're not driving like an asshole you probably won't get into trouble with John Law.

22. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

in my travels so far, i have had alot of guys say "buddy got a container of them in but cant get them on the road so they are just sitting" that was in jamestown, nd.

23. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I love your avvy BTW. Ghost in the Shell SAC is awesome!

24. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

It would help if you let us know what state you are in.

25. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'm in Minnesota (thus the MN in my post...). There was a statue for mini trucks to be able to get a permit to be driven on some public roads passed in August of this year but my local DMV hadn't even heard of it yet. I couldn't get through to the State Capital DMV at all today as their line was constantly busy but I'm going to try again tomorrow...

26. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

You lost us as soon as you started using those big two letter words. Like az ca nm nv mo tx mt wy id. Just having some fun :)

27. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

thanks ironraven :p

i think they are liceable as atv;s in mn. just cant go on highways or something.

28. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Lol, awesome :p

29. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

It's something like that... only ATV's cant be driven in the dark or in "inclimate conditions" such as fog or snow. Hopefully I'll get through to the DMV in St. Paul today and be able to update my thread :pop:

30. SemoCop

SemoCop New Member

In Missouri they are considered illegal for road use. Of course I ignore Missouri stautes pertaining to mini trucks, vans, ATV's etc. so long as they are being driven in a safe and responsible manner.
    But then one must also consider I am the only police officer in a small town and live in the real world that politicians and greenies don't recognize. My real world view is gasoline and diesel are expensive and according to them we are running out.
    Regrettably their laws don't seem to reflect my aforementioned views. Perhaps that is because most upper elechon politicians (State and federal level) depend too heavily on union support.