1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

state registration and title info

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by dowhat, Aug 8, 2010.

1. dowhat

dowhat Member

First let me say thanks for all the info/sources I have found on this website.

Second, my background regarding the following post. I bought a Hijet back in May, 2010, a 1993 Hijet. I have been bringing it back from the dead so I can give it to my parents, whom have a ranch, and the golf gart I gave them needs some down time for a bit of TLC.

The story: I first contacted the state HQ for registration, the agent said I was good to go. I have been in contact with my local DMV regarding title and registration of my Hijet under slow-moving vehicle registration, they said I'm beat, no-go. But the local office will forward my request. The state, on their website gives all the requirements for such. The states requirements are a carbon copy of the Federal Requirements Low-Speed Vehicle Safety Standards, NHTSA 98-3949, 571.500 Standard 500. I contacted the Chief of Title and registration at HQ. The chief and I went around and around, verbaly and by email. The questions asked of me were, LHD/RHD, vin#, speed limiter, importation of vehicle-it was imported directly from the manufacturer to a local dealership. I have the original title from 93. In the end, so far, HQ's response has been, it doesn't meet Federal Standards. For a regular vehicle I agree, for a slow-moving vehicle I don't.

Side note: I just want to drive it to the local muffler shop and have the muffler replaced. Yes, I know I can rent a trailer, or just give it to my parents and cruise it to the shop out there with a slow-moving vehicle triangle, in the country.

Key point of the backstory is this; while researching laws/regulations I found a group of top state DMV officials that sit on a board of regions. This group is called Unconventional Vehicles Working Group. This group is sponsered by the AAMVA, I haven't been able to find out if AAMVA is a lobby group or not. The members represent officials from North America. Per their meeting minutes summary, only one, not counting CA for their island regulation, US official allows KEI trucks on their roads. Here, Draft 2010, is their web page, with their meeting minutes listed. The working group is trying to set the same standards for all.

There is a web/conference call on June 2010, that a official ask for clarification on a resident asking for registration, the head official tells her, "Just tell them it doesn't meet Federal Standards." Here's the web-page for video. Click on Archive WMV file.

Knowing this, it pisses me off when my Chief of DMV, in the meetings minutes, allowed these vehicles to be registered as Slow-Moving Vehicles. Maybe I should have contacted HQ before the web broadcast.

In closing: I know there are EPA regs and safety standards for KEI vehicles to be opperated as regular/no limitation vehicles. The EPA does not effect vehicles under 25mph, with speed limiters.

I look forward to a discussion on these topics.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. o8k

o8k Member

If im not mistaken, down her in the USofA the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is concerned about safety standards not the EPA. EPA just wants to make sure it doesnt pollute.

3. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Well, it's a tangled web... the EPA does have safety classifications they abide by that I believe they get from the NHSTA. However, since mini trucks aren't imported to be driven on Highways the NHSTA doesn't really have much of a say about their safety, nor do the trucks have to meet NHSTA standards. Since they don't have to meet National standards that means if a state inspects them and decides they are "safe enough" to travel on state roads the NHSTA can't really say **** about it. If you want to drive your truck on National Interstate highways though we'd need them to be officially imported as meeting NHSTA standards... which is something you have a really hard time doing even if it's a vehicle that's RHD that has a LHD version sold in the US. Which basically means it's never going to happen.

4. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

Funny isn't it? The Chinese trucks meet the requirements, but the higher quality Japanese trucks don't? I'm satisfied to drive mine on other than interstate HWYs, but there are traveling roadbumps where a short shot of interstate to get to the next state road would be handy. I do wonder why the speed limiters are being required...seems like some importers were trying to avoid some duties and screwed up the world for everyone else. At least mine's not limited and is licensed/insured as an ATV in South Dakota.
    Bill
    Deadwood, SD