1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter issues!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by SpikeFiend, Aug 13, 2011.

1. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I was in the process of doing a bit of maintenance stuff to my Sambar when I think I blew something...

Changed the spark plugs and tried it out, ran great!

Changed the distributor cap, but forgot to re-attach the central spark wire. Tried starting the enginge, but only got a little putt-putt before it stopped. I took a look back there and saw that the central wire wasn't attached so I plugged it back in and tried again. All I get is a loud "click" (the starter solenoid I presume) and nothing.:frustration:

Any help would be great! I'm hoping it just needs some encouragement rather than a whole new starter/solenoid...

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

popping the main fuse or reay will sometimes still leave power to the solenoid,not sure on the Sambar wiring so I'm taking a stab,but my guess is the main fusible link

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Problem solved!

Thanks for the suggestion, fupa.

It wasn't a fusible link, but pretty darn close... (The Sambar doesn't actually have any fuses between the battery and the starter/solenoid, it's a direct connection)

I was doing some tests I read about on the internet, one of which was to short the two large terminals of the solenoid (effectively closing the contact) which should power up the starter motor (it will spin but not engage to the engine). I jammed a nail in there and didn't get so much as a spark! It was strange because I was reading 12.6V across the solenoid contacts (same as direct off the battery) but it was like power wasn't getting to the motor. I could also tell the solenoid was properly engaging the starter drive pinion since I could hear/feel the motor spinning for a few revolutions if I pulled on the alternator belt to manually turn the engine.

I figured something was up when I didn't get any sparks from shorting the terminals, so I got my booster cables and hooked the (+) up to the batter and then brought it around to the engine bay and touched it to the motor (+) terminal...success! The motor starter up no problem! I then connected the booster cable to the other solenoid terminal (which should have been a direct connection to the battery) and tried the ignition. The engine started up!

I traced the problem back to a corroded contact on the battery terminal. A little wire brush action and everything is running great again.

So it ended up being unrelated to anything I was doing, but happened right as I changed stuff...Jeez. Thankfully it wasn't the starter, since it looks like the only way to get that out is to pull out the whole engine!

Ninjando likes this.
  4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nice job on the fix....amazing how something goes wrong when something else unrelated was causing problems...forces you to chase your tail a few times before you get on the right path:)

5. Jessf

Jessf Member

pull the whole engine? I should think not, but maybe. I had starter issues several weeks before your initial post and all the guys had to do was pull the starter and rebuild it.

just my 2 cents.

6. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Yea, you might be able to get it out if you remove the muffler/exhaust stuff...there's not a whole lot of room side-to-side in the engine bay to pull things out though.