1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stalling at Red Lights

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by subaru-mimi, Aug 6, 2017.

1. subaru-mimi

subaru-mimi New Member

So I've have my '90 Subaru Sambar for a little bit now and have already been trudging through some "older car" issues. However this one is leaving me stumped:

When my engine is cold it's running good. I pull over to grab a sandwich for lunch, get back in the car, stop at a red light and stall out. I've asked the guys at my garage to check for any air leaks but they said it's looking good aside from an older fuel filter that "could" be replaced but told me it shouldn't be a problem.

Well I drove it about 2-3 miles today before it started stalling out bad. Stalled out at stops and in between shifts as well so I had to keep it revved no matter what.

I've seen similar posts for other subaru vehicles with similar issues but the comments list off so many kinds of probable issues that it sounds like they want OP to buy a new car. Just thought I'd check in here and see if you all have any suggestions for me.

Here's a short list of things that have already been fixed/replaced:
    Wheel Bearings
    CV Boot
    Alternator Belt
    Dist. Cap & Rotor
    New Battery
    New Tires
    Rebuilt Calipers on both front wheels

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!!

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a problem with the idle circuit in the carb - once it comes down off high idle it will stall. possible plugged passage in carb. You might try a old school quick & dirty cleanup by bringing up the RPMs to medium high then turn off the key while holding your hand over the carb throat to totally block off all incoming air. The resulting high vacuum may clear a blocked passage in the carb. If that doesn't work you may have to clean the carb by soaking in carb cleaner and then reassemble it.

Fred