1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeaky noise

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Yardman, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Yardman

Yardman New Member

My truck is making a squeaking noise like a bearing that’s done. I changed the timing belt idler on it and it’s still doing it. Wondering if my water pump is on the way out. Anybody have any idea what it might be.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

At times a water pump will squeak but so will an alternator. Loosen or remove the belt and run for a short time to see if it eliminates the noise. You might also try a slightly different tension on the belt to see if it changes.

Fred

3. Yardman

Yardman New Member

I have taken that belt off and started it up and the squealing stopped, when I turned the alternator by hand it makes a slight sound so I'm guessing it is the alternator. How long do those alternators last cause that one is not even two years old.
    What does that other pulley do that is on the same belt as the alternator and the crankshaft. Is it the oil pump orrr..???

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with your vehicle, I was only giving general info.

Fred

5. Yardman

Yardman New Member

I have the s83p. Your info helped me identify the alternator as the culprit. I didn’t think it was it cause it was next to new. Thanks a bunch.

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

Is it the correct width belt?

7. Yardman

Yardman New Member

It is a size A belt. I replaced the alternator and the squealing quit. Thanks y’all for your info.