1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spyware Guard 2008

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Samurai9, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

This is a vicious phony software which is infecting my computer when I am in this forum. Coincidence? Get rid of this ASAP if you see it.

Sam

2. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

If your computer gets really bogged down with spyware and malware, etc a good product to use is Ad-Aware Plus

The one I picked up from Staples was $40.00 CAD c/w 18 month license and is good for use on 3 computers.

I would say it is just a coincident that your computer is acting up while on the forum, Kevin runs a tight ship.

I used the above Ad-Aware to get rid of a rootkit that other products couldn't get rid of so I am satisfied with enough to reccommend it.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Spyware Guard 2008 is a rogue anti-spyware program that uses deceptive advertising methods. This program is promoted through the use of fake online anti-malware scanners that state your computer is infected and that you should download and install Spyware Guard 2008 to protect it. These online scanners, though, are just advertisements and have no way of knowing what is running on your computer. They are only stating that you are infected in order to scare you into installing the program.
    If you decide to install the software, Spyware Guard 2008 will configure itself to run automatically on your computer when it starts. Then it will create seven fake malware files that it will detect as malware on your computer in order to further scare you into thinking you are infected. These fake malware files are:
    c:\WINDOWS\reged.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\spoolsystem.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\sys.com
    c:\WINDOWS\syscert.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\sysexplorer.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\vmreg.dll
    %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\olesys.dll
    When Spyware Guard 2008 starts, it automatically scans your computer and lists the seven files above, as well as numerous legitimate files, as malware and does not allow you to remove them unless you first purchase the software. These fake malware files, and all of the legitimate files it flags as infections, are only being used to scare you into purchasing the software. In fact, the files found are all harmless. While this software is installed, you may also find that your computer starts to operate slower. This is because the program is constantly running in the background using up your computer's resources.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

My wife accidentally downloaded that spyware gaurd 2008 a few weeks ago. What a pain. But Kevin is right, go to malwarbytes. They have a utility that worked great and cleaned it right up.

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Microsoft has just released a patch for IE to fix this problem as of 17th Dec/08.
    For anyone using IE this is a must update IMO.

7. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Oh Yea, Just read in my pc mag today that program is bad JuJu. Get rid of it and you best run something legit to check your puter out. AVG and Avira make good free virus scanners. Norton has been given high marks for it's newest incarnation. It is much less evasive and system resource taxing than the older versions. Norton has come out with public betas of it's Internet Security 2009 and Antivirus 2009 with "zero impact" performance goal. Here is the site.

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20080715_01

8. Colin

Colin Member

I <3 my Apple. :)

Carry on.