1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed question. Help

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by jwetovick, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Hello. I'm still enjoying my 95 mits that I got 3 months ago. One thing that I'm struggling with is the speed. I have 23x8x12 mudd tires on it and seems the fastest I can get going is about 60kmph unless going down a hill. Question is, is this normal with this sized tire or do I have other issues? This thing starts and runs like a champ but just seems like it should have more power?? Any input would be appreciated.

2. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

my mits never stoppes climbing in speed with the same tires dont no how fast it will go but i have seen the speedo at 100 kph mabey you have a govenor hope this helps

3. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

thanks, thats what I was afraid of. The governor was removed when I purchased it. Soooo evidently I have something else going on?? New plugs, dist, fuel filter, air filter. What could the issue be? Starts and idles like a top. Just not much power at all. I don't really need to be going 90kmph but it would be nice at times. I'm lost, help.

4. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

check the airbox it has a hot and cold trap door on the inside if it sticks closed in warm weather the truck will not have no power on top end mine did that once

5. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

This could very well be the issue??? Whatever happened, happened basically overnight after I was going thru things and checking it over after getting it. I did take the air filter out and check it out so would i have maybe closed this on my own??? I've never really heard of trap door and dont remember seeing one but i will have to check this out. It feels like the mini is just gasping for air or fuel??? would it still idle fine if this was the case?? cause it starts and idles great. thanks alot. Is this trap door under the filter or where exactly?

6. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Ok so I couldn't wait any longer I had to go out in the dark and see if that was the issue and guess what........IT WAS!!! That flap deal was shut and thus not letting much air in, just exactly what it felt like! Thanks so much man!! wish you lived close cause id owe you a case of beverages. This makes me so darn happy cause i thot, uh oh, now what am i going to do. Figured it had to be something simple. Thanks again!!! My wife also said thanks for the info as ive been complaining for 10 days now. haha

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

was that the deal?

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd be surprised, cuz your "23x8x12" leads me to believe that you are talking about ATV tires, not "mud-tires"; like a 175 65r 13.

In which case 60kph, is just about right.

I have a set of 24x8x12 up front, and 24x11x12 in the rear, (moderate tread) and on clean flat gravel, my Carry would not go above 60kph, no matter what.

After adding the supercharger though, no speed limit.

That valve you were looking at, only opens above a specific outside air temperature...OUTSIDE AIR TEMPERATURE...

9. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

your welcome glad i could help

10. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

That would be correct. My tires are basically ATV tires. Would never do that again and was a good learning experience. They are for sale to high bidder :) As for the valve on the air flow. Can you elaborate a little more on that as far as just what its for and how do i know if it should be open or closed, etc?
    Thanks for all the input guys!

Ihnut likes this.
  11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want, but you can't beat the ATV's for ride comfort and grip, while off road. If you're mostly on the black-top, maybe an original tire/wheel combo is right for you...search it.

Lot's of info on here related to you're air ducting system. In no case would anything prevent your air flow to the point of starvation...completly BLOCKED air filter...maybe.
    Test the actuation valve with a manual vacuum. I remember Fupabox mentioning something about a manual summer/winter setting wedge, different make I think...search it.

12. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

So I thot this was the prob and it worked for a short time. I have been looking at this flap thing and cant really figure out how exactly it works?? dont see any type of vacuum or anythig to make it open or close other than the spring inside. It is closed at idle when I have it pulled apart. No power. No clue. No fun!

13. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

that is a mercury spring valve anytime your not pulling in hot its closed pulling air from the tubes on the manifold to keep carb from freezing when its pulling hot air it opens to pull air from the pipe next to radiator dont take as much air when its cold to run right i superglued mine open where it pulles air from the pipe next to the radiator and it ran great in any weather

14. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I'm really tempted to do the same as it seems like it ran better with it wide open for awhile. Its getting colder here in Nebraska. Seems like the colder mornings the mini is needing something for power and i cant for the life of me figure out what. when i rap it out pretty good and let off the gas it just lets off super fast instead of kinda coasting. raps up fast but doesnt really go faster and then let off and wow.....it lets off fast. anything else i should check??? other than this it seems to run great

15. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

So I'm looking for input on how fast my mini is able to go. Like I mentioned before I'm running 23x8x12 atv tires and its like driving an old grain truck with no power. I have to downshift on every hill. I'm just wanting to know if this is normal or if I have other issues going on? Starts and runs great so I'm guessing I'm just going to have to accept the fact that if I want the atv tires on it this is how its going to be.
    If I put the original tires and wheels on will i then be able to go 80-90kmh????

16. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

my mits never stoppes climbing speed with the same tires

17. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

So I wonder what the difference is?? I never even need 5th gear because I cant get going fast enough anyhow. My mini was all checked out before I purchased it. Compression is good and new plugs, dist, governor removed. I just have no idea what to expect because I've never driven another mini. Don't know whether to take to mechanic or not? Will be changing tires back to stock this weekend so hopefully il see some difference there? thanks for the input

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  18. 3banger

3banger Member

My Minicab van does 100kph all day long. I'm sure I could do 120-130 if I had an emergency I bet.

It sounds like it's going to explode though and I don't have a tach so I try not to go over 100 often.

19. vortechys

vortechys Member

I recently did a tune up on my Suzuki. Night and day difference. Try hooking a vacuum guage to the engine. Find the idle mixture screw and tune for highest vacuum obtainable on the gauge. Adjust your idle speed and then time the engine 3 of 4 degrees advanced from the factory setting. This should make a big difference in power. If it doesn't, run a compression check to see if there is a problem. I have the same size tires as you and I have no trouble going over 60 kph.

20. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks for the info. If only I was mechanically inclined enough to check compression and adjust timing I would. After going back to original tires and rims I can now get going 90kph consistantly which I enjoy alot as I drive on gravel roads way more than around the hunting property. If I ever have to take to a mechanic for other work I will remember to have him try the adjustment to the timing and hope that makes some more difference.

21. akguy09

akguy09 Member

Tires

Are you basing your 60km from the speedometer with the 23 inch tires? If you are that's part of your problem, you need to do the math to get the accurate percentage of difference between you stock size and you 23s