1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spaner-Builds a seat...

Discussion in 'References' started by spaner, Jul 2, 2011.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Today I'm going to show you guy's how to modify the stock seats in a DD51t.

I had a modified setup to start with as I needed the extra room to clear the supercharger in the engine bay; it really was tight. So, initially, I had just put a flat plate across the original seat mount sealing surface, and then bolted a tractor seat to the flat plate. Everything cleared, but I was not happy with the setup as-was:D, the arm rests were to low (hert my shoulders), and the seating position was too hi. I had to "duck-down" to see the traffic lights while "on-deck". So, the goal...GET IT AS LOW AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE IT RIGHT...SO LETS GO....:pop:

Here is the tractor seat:

[​IMG]

And the arm rests, in the process of being removed:

[​IMG]

The original seat:

[​IMG]

The "flat plate-set-up":

[​IMG]

The "flip-side":

[​IMG]

You can see here, that the mounting brackets are quite long and have a curved "Z" pattern:

[​IMG]

First step, remove the compound bend...in the press, now just 90 deg:

[​IMG]

Original seat back "striped":

[​IMG]

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Here you can see that the original mount has been shortened and two additional mounting holes have been drilled "in-line" with the center hole. Also, THREE mounting "TAPPED-TABS" are in place to be brazed; sourced fom the tractor seat.

[​IMG]

The same work was completed on the other side of the back rest and both arm rests were installed:

[​IMG]

Arms extended view:

[​IMG]

Here I have highlighted the pic to show you the MAIN MOUNTING HOLES for the backrest and armrest "system"; mounted through the back wall with 5/16 grade 9s:

[​IMG]

The clearance problem in pic form:

[​IMG]

The solution:

[​IMG]

I will NOT attempt to give you all of the details asociated with the lower pan modification (advanced modification thread); suffice to say that, from the original, both the lower "pan" and the "seat-sliders" were ELEMINATED, and of cource I had to modify the "seat" pan for the supercharger pulley and shaft housing clearance (see vinyl dip moulding techniques).....MOLDED INTO PLACE; the system now sits LOWER than the original.

Check fit of the back rest system:

[​IMG]

Arm rests "UP" check"

[​IMG]

Let's cover this sh!t back up; note the "flex-base" pegs at the bottom of the construction...solid mounting with only 2 bolts:

[​IMG]

Front view in the "comfort-zone":

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The high 5 check:

[​IMG]

The final installation:

[​IMG]

4. downhere

downhere Member

???..........

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Calm down my friend, there are some severe limitations on this site, whist building a thread, which must be managed, all is well, and I'm sure makes sence NOW....ENJOY:frustration::frustration:.....:D:pop:

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

looks great! now... do you have or will you have two center arm rests or just one?

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

JUST ONE, the passenger is "ON HIS OWN" whilst climbing 60 deg grades, under "boost" with the Titan 489s; see "Thrill-Kill"...

Sand Hill Arse Kicking to follow...you know where...

Common Gerg, I'm gettin' disappointed, let's see your's; I'll show you mine...

You can expect a "TIESTO" clip...but not before...

8. downhere

downhere Member

Nice work! Sorry about the impatience but hey.....I'm a Man! I find it amazing how there isn't a mountain too high for some of you guys on here! On a side note being a homebuilder and a cabinetmaker has it's perks. I did some work for an upholsterer and threw in some extra stuff! Well that extra stuff is coming back to me in the way of having the seats done in the deck van!!! The guys work is off the charts! Back to you Spaner, really awesome work on the truck! Quite an engineering feat!

9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

The suspense continues.... :sly:

10. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nice work......looks great.....door panels off...what you up to:confused::D

11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nothing really, just had to replace the factory power window switches. Got tired of fighting with them all of the time, just cuz they were carboned up so bad from 15+ years of use. The modern replacement (scrap yard-ford) were vertical types, so they sit next to the glass now, on the sill.

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey downhere, I've got a lot of respect for carpenters. I can build a truck or wire a house, but I can't nail two 2x4s together, even if you marked the nail spots with a felt pen....It's just not "in my head"...for me that seat was EASY, just takes the time to do it.

When I order 1/4" 316 plate I can tell you the percent component content and know that it is 6.350mm thick...but a 2x4 does not measure 2"x4" , 6mil polly is not 6mm thick and wood is never strait. I just don't work that way.:confused:

13. downhere

downhere Member

Its a funny thing when you go into a project knowing the material you are using is imperfect. I believe as a craftsman ( tradesman ) you can never blame tools or material for the final results of a job. It all comes down to the competency of the tradesman. The true test of that comes in being able to adapt and use whatever you have on hand. That is where you and some others on this site have really excelled. And just so you know the lumber sizes where once that size but have been kiln dried losing up to twenty percent of their mass. Try buying hardwood and paying 20% more for 20% less?????