1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sourcing radiator and heater hoses for a 2001 Sambar TT2

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Rick Melloh, Jun 1, 2018.

1. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Member

Yes, you email them the list of parts you are looking to get, they check with their dealer and email you back prices, and then you tell them that you are okay with it. Then they email you a link to buy the lot of parts on their website and check out with their normal checkout process. There is a bit of back and forth via email, but the buying process is completely handled by their normal website.

Anytime you order from them, the back and forth takes 2 days (because they reply in the afternoon Japan time, middle of the night US time), then it is 7 business days for them to get it from the dealer, and then they ship by whatever method you chose during checkout. For me, it is typically 12-14 days from start to finish, if I use EMS or Fedex/DHL.

If you are in more of a rush, websites like YokohamaMotors can get stuff quicker, but they are regularly 20-30% more expensive than JapanParts.

2. Botl01

Botl01 Member

Thanks for the info.

rkrenicki likes this.
  3. Botl01

Botl01 Member

Just got my radiator hoses in. Went with Japanparts. As you said it took a few days to get the parts quoted. They also required 5000 Yen deposit since I wanted to quote more than 10 parts. They refunded that back to my PayPal account after I placed the order and sent them the order number. After the order was placed I received a message about a week later with a tracking number and received the parts about a week after that.

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Member

Sounds about right! They have never let me down. The deposit thing was because you were new, after an order or two they do not require that any longer.

5. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

This a great reference. Thanks for posting.
    On further inspection, I discovered that all my leaks were due to the clamps simply rusting off all of the rear hoses around the engine block. One clamp was completely missing and the others were just wisps of metal. It was a miracle one of the hoses never blew off. I believe I replaced six clamps with very small, conventional, stainless steel hose clamps, much more robust than the original spring type clamps. Next up, all the front clamps and intermediate clamps. Those are much harder for me to reach.
    The discussion on removing the truck bed has inspired me to try pulling mine for some thorough rust proofing of the bed underside and rustproofing the exposed upper chassis as well. Next spring....

May winter be kind to everyone's truck. Anyone have a good battery spec for the TT2? I am currently using a dry cell racing battery, but it won't take a charge in 10 degree weather. Works great in the summer.

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Member

I installed a Group 151R battery in my truck. It is the correct physical size, but I needed to replace the battery terminals since US batteries have a larger post than the Japanese batteries. I picked up my battery at the local Advance Auto Parts.

7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Member

Just out of curiosity. What was the grand total for you with their markup and shipping? I just wonder if they have a different pricing structure for new customers vs established customers.

8. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Thanks for the tip. The dimensions look right on. I already modified my cable ends to fit the racing battery, so I should be good to go. I might still use the dry cell battery in summer, plenty of cranking power and less than half the weight. I am going to write down that Group 151R spec in the back of my manual so I never lose track of it.

9. Botl01

Botl01 Member

23,646 JPY for parts and 3689 JPY for shipping. I also ordered the screws and washers to hold down the engine cover and they were 900 JPY for 5 each.