1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~SOLVED~ Help Registering and Insuring a RHD Kei Truck---Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by velorium117, Aug 28, 2017.

1. velorium117

velorium117 New Member

I've had my Subaru Sambar for about 4 years now. I use it solely offroad (trailer it everywhere) and am having a very hard time registering and insuring this thing. I currently drive it around in the bush with no plates, no registration, and no insurance and I'm starting to get nervous.

I've only managed to register it with the MTO as "unplated- offroad". Which I'm pretty sure just means you can drive it on your own property.

Can any Ontarians help me out here?

~UPDATE~

So "Service Ontario" allowed me to register it and plate it as "Offroad", the same as a UTV or ATV. It was absolutely no hassle, cost me $30. Apparently the person at the counter the first time I went there had no idea what they were doing, hence my troubles....Now to insure it...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. Cole

Cole Member

Hi there! I live in northwestern Ontario. Just registered and insured a 93 Carry a month ago. I do the same it's mainly for off-road but it's gets treated as any regular on road vechicle. It was pretty straight foreword as any used vechicle. I needed to get a provincial safety. Thankfully it passed needing no repairs. You have to love a 24 year old truck that needs nothing for a safety. Then with a safety I got insurance. Liability only! They didn't want to give it to me with comprehensive because they said it would be too difficult to fix being a speciality Vechicle. Aviva was one company that would work with mini trucks.

Perfect that's all I wanted.

Then after having proof of insurance I went to service ontario where they told be I needed an empty weight slip from a weigh scales and an appraisal because it is over 20 years old. I got those things , not hard to get just time consuming. Then I went back in with proof of insurance, empty weight, Ontario appraisal, and bill of sale. I paid my tax and plate fees and they handed me two plates.

That was it! All good to go and legal!!!

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

It's probably similar to here in Alberta where you need a provincial inspection that's it. Intact and state farm here are good for RHD vehicles, i have all my JDM vehicles with intact because they're no questions asked and aviva does my lhd vehicles

4. velorium117

velorium117 New Member

Oh is that's all? lol. Thank you for the info! I guess I better just bite the bullet and git' er done.

5. Cole

Cole Member

Ya lol. A bit of work but it is doable. You don't have to worry when it is all road legal! The key with the safety is to find a shop that is comfortable with that truck. Some get scared because they haven't seen them before. The one I went to was good and did a thorough inspection.