1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

You do a great job with that I noticed! Me, I'm a work in progress. lol:)
    Limestone

2. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

So I got lost in the shop all day. It felt good to get back at it after several other thing's needed attention! I started to putz around with the lift and trying to lower the engine, trans, and the likes. Got one side lower gradually, and started lowering the other side in conjunction. Going back and forth with every thing supported with a floor jack. It's getting there, just not as quick as I'd like! Hoping to have the back end done tomorrow! I already started to look at the front, and get a game plane for that! The weather is warming. That's great! A lot of distractions! All's good! Not complaining here! Stay Healthy!
    Limestone

3. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Didn't get a lot accomplished today, as I spent half the day trying to find the right &*$@#^&* metric bolts to get the engine, and the trans at the right elevation, to finish the lift and complete this end of it! Pretty frustrated at this point, with it, so it was time for a walk!
    Limestone

4. siren676

siren676 New Member

Picked up a lathe today, was a little on the big side of things
    95142574_1070751103341200_3377661276275605504_n.jpg

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  5. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

She handles that lathe load pretty well!

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I ended up buying a couple of assortments of metric bolts off of Amazon. The local Ace had them in their little drawers, but at very high prices. I’m not into paying $1.50 for a 8-mm bolt, 20-mm long.

If I lived close to wrecking yard that would let me pull my own parts, I would take the battery powered impact guns, and go fill six coffee cans (one for 6mm, 8mm,10mm, and 12mm) with nuts and bolts, off of Japanese vehicles. Then devote an afternoon to sorting them by bolt size and length.

7. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Jig's,
    Yeah, I agree. I have a pretty good selection of new nuts and bolts! Several of those Amazon deals, on the shelf! Just got caught a little short on the larger size Metric bolts, lengths longer than 20 mm in 10mm or bigger! I will have to replenish the stock, as needed! Wow, I thought I was crazy, to go to a junk yard, to remove nuts rusted nuts and bolts, you got me beat, my friend! LOL
    Limestone

8. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

DEED5B98-7A94-4638-81C5-5F69DB43B4F7.jpeg 58E81BD5-BFB0-4503-AE16-3CB8ED528FEF.jpeg A6D5F7AF-40E4-4A4D-8931-BA726DA6720E.jpeg A6D5F7AF-40E4-4A4D-8931-BA726DA6720E.jpeg On the weekend, i decided to remove my front strut spacers. I had a very slight camber lean, probably tolerable however, it occurred to me that with the front suspension and diff drop (along with the tranny xmember) that the struts need to come straight down (or at least on the same line as the strut body line). The strut tower as seen inside the cab has a shape which prevents this. (See pic)
    I think the strut spacers are better applied when not dropping the front xmember and diff. Pls note, mine is a 99 DB52T with the front wheels right close to the front bumper.
    So.... i extended the struts by 2 1/4”. I could have filled snd re-drilled the lower control arm holes to fix the camber however, my rims are 4+3 and therefore i need a smaller rotation about the knuckle. ... for clearance
    C671A578-0E9F-4BD1-AED3-C9D6FF9D48DC.jpeg D72DD93E-73DD-4B5C-87BE-78C247259A30.jpeg ABEDB8E5-CDAD-4D59-B082-BC650A780A35.jpeg .

Attached Files:

Limestone and installater like this.
  9. installater

installater Member

Would like to have your skills, nice work
    Regards
    Brian

10. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

Oh, thank you sir.

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Well in a day at the pick-a-part yards you can find many treasures, and if you have a battery powered impact driver, you can fill a bunch cans with nuts and bolts, as you wander.

And, when the hardware stores want a buck each for the bolts, it makes good economic sense. As to the rust, if you’re selective in what you pull them off of, there isn’t much. The bolts of the ones that were wrecked fit just as well. And, if they are a bit rusty, you just put them in the tumbler for a bit, and they are bright and shiney.

Limestone likes this.
  12. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Jig's,
    Just updated, my supplies, especially larger metric bolts, and smaller metric screws, with different heads. Not really trying to duplicate the head that I removed, if I could improve, on it I do! For example, on the fan shroud that holds the three screws that hold the fan in. Those 3 Phillips head screws were torched, so I replaced them with Allen heads! To me, it's just common sense stuff! Should get a delivery by, the middle of next week!
    Limestone

13. siren676

siren676 New Member

Did a run to the tip today, had a sizeable pile built up during lockdown from doing home renos.
    Tipped the scales at 1280kg and came out 840kg making making the load 440kg(970lb) which surprised me as it handled it fine, did notice it when braking though.

96792943_185265639278152_4976598135091494912_n.jpg

14. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Siren,
    That's good to see! A well organized, and distributed load, if you will! The truck looks pretty well balanced! I always, use the reference, that you have to be able to stop!
    Limestone

siren676 likes this.
  15. siren676

siren676 New Member

Admittedly was sitting on bump stops, will watch the weight when i do another run tomorrow.

16. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Yeah, the key is too take your time and go slow, trying not to hit too many holes, bumps, in the road! That causes a lot more undue stress on the unit, doing damage to the truck, besides your back! There's a time to go slow and a time to go fast. This is definitely one of those times to go slow! These trucks are supposed to haul a little more weight than you have on her, but there's a lot that goes into that! Like how old and tired is the truck, meaning mainly the springs! My truck, being 30 yrs. old was pretty tired and abused, especially the springs! So, I'm in full agreement with all your actions, taking your time, getting your mission accomplished and being able to continue with , other projects!
    Limestone

17. Jigs-n-fixtures

I have a manual for the S83LP which is the left hand drive they imported into the US. It says the 350-kg at speeds over 20, and upto 1500 pounds at low speeds.

Nearly all of the trucks can carry quite a bit over the 350-kg limits, without big issues. The 350-kg is driven by the Kei laws in Japan, where there is a maximum road legal weight of the Kei class, and the 300, or 350-kg ratings are driven by that.

But the Engineers who design the trucks are fully aware that a lot of the trucks are used primarily off-road on farms, construction sites, etc., and design the suspension to handle higher loads, but the brakes are the limiting factor. Which is why the recommendation of the 350-kg at higher speeds, but being able to exceed that when traveling slower.

18. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Gonna try to head out to the shop, and get something done on the mini, today. Had to run out to the farm, hunt camp yesterday, to check on things! Got a little snow, dusting on the ground, It was a nice walk in the woods yesterday! Gonna start some vegetable seeds indoors this weekend, so that I can get them in the ground in a few weeks as the weather permits, and the ground warms up! Stay safe everyone!
    Limestone

19. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

DIY,
    I do like how you fixed your slight camber problem, on your front end. I have some same issues with mine, but I haven't decided how I want to tackle it yet. You did a great job, with your fix! Gonna head out to the shop and get something done on her! Did a little more rustproofing underneath, after, changing oil on a couple vehicles! Stay healthy!
    Limestone

20. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Well, the rain finally stopped long enough to get some yard work done the past couple days, grass cut, weeds pulled, etc.... Looking foreward to a long weekend, and getting back into the shop and get a few things done!
    Limestone