1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

Bit too low in the back, as seen here

Attached Files:

2. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

DIY,
    Are your rear tires the same size as the fronts? I was thinking of going a bit bigger in the back, like some guy's have done. I did put air shocks in the back, that I have to hook up, yet! Again, I'm off road, not highway driving. Makes a difference!
    Limestone

3. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

I have the same size tires front and rear. 25x8x12. These are dot rated Kenda Mastadon on ITP true beadlocks. People have different goals and needs. I wanted a dot rated higher end tire that i could drive on the road occasionally and still a good performer off road. I want to air-down with less risk of popping a bead. One size, one spare... if u carry. Check out the reviews on the tires. I went with 12” rims specifically for off road performance/ride on low air. The rim should be no more than half the tire diameter for a good performing setup. Otherwise, not enough sidewall.

i put heavier and longer shocks in the back.

4. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Your right, diff. needs! That's smart on your part, with what your doing!

5. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

In looking at your springs. They kinda remind me of mine. When I inherited my abused mini truck, the spring's looked like they had been overloaded on more than one occasion. They were beyond flat! So I talked to an old school expert, and he suggested, they could re arch them, and in the mean time creating more lift. For every inch of arch, he said would increase a 1/2 inch of lift! Well, that was 2 yrs. ago, when I first got the mini, and I was contemplating, what I wanted to accomplish with this thing. In the mean time, this old school gentleman, retired, and I talked to his protege', who said that he didn't feel comfortable, re arching the 30 yr. old springs, in case he did damage(breaking), them, he didn't want to be held responsible, and possibly, ruining my springs! I knew that I wanted to add a leaf, to the original set up, kinda like a helper spring! Not knowing how tired the old springs were, I decided to go with a 3/8 thick leaf, sandwiched between the existing leafs on the existing stack, with new u bolts! In talking with his middle aged, younger protege'. We both decided on the extra 3/8 leaf, with more arch, and an increase, in 650 lbs. per spring, on each side,(lift capacity), Walla, it worked like a charm! I'm still not completely done with it, but I'm getting closer! Last week, I put the old stock wheels on to get a look at the overall lift situation, and, I have to say that, I'm pretty happy so far, and that I'm getting ready to order new tires! The back on mine does sit a little lower, and that's okay, because, with the added rear air shocks, I should be alright! Heck, I'm still enjoying the project, and having fun with it! It's raining today, after a beautiful day yesterday, getting my yard work, done, including maintenance on the lawn tractor, and a couple small, minor repairs, keeping the old girl going! Getting ready to head out to the shop, and do something! Stay healthy, God Bless!
    Limestone

6. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

Nice. Ive rebuilt 4x4’s in the past and had this done. Its a relatively inexpensive upgrade. I may increase the load capability of mine also. I haven’t decided yet.
    one point about the the spring appearance. The long spring that appears bent out of shape is actually not. It is designed this way. The idea is to create a better ride with no load. This leaf comes into play when weight is added. So if you add a leaf above it with an upwards curve, the truck will sit higher of course, but your ride when empty will be rougher. If you add a “helper “ below it with a similar shape, your ride will remain similar to original but with added load capability.

7. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

DIY,
    That's more great info! I was wondering! It looks like it might have been designed that way, or I was possibly thinking, that they over sprung it by over loading it! Any ways, I'm hoping to get her up and running real soon on a regular basis, cause the weather is turning, and I've got a lot of projects planned for her! As far as a bumpy ride, yeah, I do realize that. I do plan on working it and not racing it, so I'll be moving kinda slow and easy like! I still have a couple 4 wheeler's to zip around on, when I feel the need too! I'm anxious to see if adding the air shocks, in the rear will help soften the ride, just for cruisin around, when empty! I've been on a lot of Heavy Equipment, my whole life, and, I hate to say it, but you do kinda get used to it! Didn't get much done on the mini today. Wound up cleaning guns and getting, some ammo organized, and in order, today. General clean up day, really! That's the beauty of being semi retired, you can do what you want, pretty much! Stay Healthy!
    Limestone

8. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

You sound like me lol, I'm getting close to retirement also. ... and a hunter. Where abouts do u live?

I lengthened my steering shaft today... again. Lol. Pulled the front end off ... again. Lol. I recently dropped the front suspension 2”. I just need to drop the centre xmbr/tranny support a bit to help the drive shafts. ... but only 3/4 to 1” is enough. Yesterday i made new rear spring spacers.... 3” tall. I also sprayed the frame black. Seems strange to me that they are all white, like the bodies. “Paint em black and they disappear “

9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

put on some new shocks...

the monroe matics #31000 are getting a little tougher to find in stores in my area.. the replacement part for them is now 59006.

dont ask me why cause i dunno... same overall dims. 12" compressed & 19.5" extended.

10. installater

installater Member

Installed and wired up 3rd running/ brake light thats the end for lights, took her for a quick 100 mile
    spin. Ran great was cruising 90 KM/H some of the hills took it down considerably, downhill and
    flat curving roads could have done more, but I don't know if its cause of RHD or what but felt like
    it was flying and I rode Motorcycles for 50 yrs.
    Really enjoy these little trucks
    IMG_0568.jpg
    Regards
    Brian

punimog and Adam Wheeler like this.
  11. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

DIY,
    Ohio! Check your private message! I don't want to de rail the post, too much, with hunting! Keep me posted on the front end adjustments, I'll see if I need to do that or not! Yeah, I couldn't wait to paint the frame on mine! I couldn't stand a white frame!
    Limestone

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  12. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

SDK,
    I went with the Monroe matics 31000 in an air shock, for the rears naturally! My wife got em new for $50.00 bucks delivered, a couple weeks back! I got them on and need to air them up. Yard work, starting, getting ready with the garden, the Stealhead are running, my Oldest Son want's me to go Turkey Hunting! Sometimes it's just Hard being me! lol!
    Limestone

13. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Installer,
    It really looks nice! They are fun to drive! Made up a couple brackets for some LED light's, including a couple light bars!
    Limestone

14. installater

installater Member

Limestone, We all want to see pics. Now quit holding out on us.
    Regards
    Brian

15. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Installer!
    My wedding pic 38 yrs. ago!

Attached Files:

fmartin_gila likes this.
  16. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Installer,
    Me, catch and release, a male 10 lb. Steelhead, on a 6 lb. test Fly Rod!

Attached Files:

17. installater

installater Member

Limestone, thanks for the pictures.
    I meant of the truck, but I believe you knew that
    Regards
    Brian

Ohkei Dohkei and Limestone like this.
  18. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Install,
    I finally got a chance to make up some shackles, for the rear springs. I wasn't sure if I would need them or not, but the back end was a few inches lower than the front, so I took some 1/4 inch stock by 2 inches wide and cut four pieces 8 inches long. Popped some 1/2 inch holes, 3 in each piece, leaving the bottom holes 1 inch apart for adjustments! Sure enough I needed the adjustment hole as the top hole, even though it helped tremendously, the bottom hole, leveled her out nicely! The only problem now, that I don't like, is the angle of the drive shaft ,doesn't make me happy at all! So, I'll be doing some shimming, there by making up a piece to help out that angle! I noticed that the clearance between the air shock and the muffler is only about a 1/2 inch, or maybe 3/8 of an inch, and as you drive and things flex and move I could see the muffler, melting the air bladder on the shock, and, well there you go. So I'll check on that and see what I need to do with that! A friend of mine bought some new 26 inch SUNF tires for his side by side, that he couldn't use, and he was going to give them to me, for nothing, but their too big for the little fella, so I had to pass! My only option would have been to put the bigger tires on the back. There's no way I'm gonna put bigger tires on the back, and cause problems with the diff's and everything else in the drive line! Smaller wheels on the front, with bigger wheels on the back, would cause too many problems with the gears, as those front tires are spinning faster than the backs, especially in 4x4! Stay healthy everyone!
    Limestone

Attached Files:

19. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

Nice!!!

20. installater

installater Member

Nice work Limestone, pictures are worth a thousand words
    When you’re telling what you’re doing,I am always trying to
    Picture it so thanks
    Regards
    Brian