1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Limestone

Limestone Member

Checked on the rear springs today, they're done. I was told that they will bend the new u-bolts Monday. I thought about making my own, by using the old ones, cutting them, and welding bolt threaded ends to finish the bolts off! Instead, I'm already committed, so I think I'll concentrate on removing the radiator, water pump, and timing belt, over the long weekend! Gotta keep moving fore ward!
    Limestone

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I think they were 6 ply. They had a good load rating compared to atv tires though. I wanted to buy the ones from goldspeedproducts.com because they were very well load rated, but they were out of stock at the time.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

I’ve got the stick on heaters on the oil pan, and transmission. This weekend, I’m going to confirm they are actually getting warm. (I might of mucked them up, when I got stuck on the 3-foot high berms of snow the city plowed across my driveway.).

The heating pads share a power feed with the battery heater. I checked it, and it’s getting hot. But the tranny is stiff, and the engine is acting cold, so I’m not sure the pads are heating, and I’m adverse to laying down in the snow to reach under the engine and feel them.

4. Limestone

Limestone Member

Ohkei,
    I did take a look at goldspeed. Thanks, for the info. Yeah still out of stock. Like you said, a good looking tire, highly rated!
    Limestone

5. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jigs,
    I never used the stick on heaters before. I have seen them listed though. An old timer told me yrs. ago that I'd have better luck, using the freeze plug style, heating the water,(coolant)! I have had great luck doing that, on several occasions. I was wondering, does anyone know what size freeze plugs might be on my 89 Daihatsu? I would assume they have them? Battery heater is also a very good idea. Yrs. ago on an old Dozer, we surrounded the battery, in the battery box with 2" ridged styrofoam. That stuff is amazing, repelling water, moister, and holding the warmth!
    Limestone

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Kat’s has a lower hose heater that fits a 1-inch radiator hose. But, I decided that the pads were a better idea. They don’t change any of the hard to replace components, and that is a consideration on these trucks.

With regard to teh block heaters that go in the freeze plugs, I think Kat’s makes them, but I’m not sure there is enough room to actually get them into the block without taking it out of the truck. Things are really pretty tight in there.

Limestone likes this.
  7. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jigs,
    Yeah that would make sense, if there's not enough room for the freeze plug style, the stick on pad, would be better than nothing. I like the idea of one on the trans, and battery also!
    Limestone

8. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jigs,
    I was thinking, back in the day, us old timers wouldn't hesitate to lay on the ground, in the snow, to check the stick on heat pad! LOL! I'm thinking with your knowledge, you might consider, an indicator diode,(light) in the cab, maybe even dash mounted. Yeah, like you've got time for that! LOL! I know, more wish list stuff!!! Headin to the garage!
    Limestone

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

You’re right. Back in the day, I would go muck around in the cold and snow, and not think about it. When you get frostbite a few times, you start learning that the cold can be dangerous. And, after you frostbite your fingers, you can’t reach in the cooler for a cold one with out it hurting like you smacked your finger tips with a hammer.

So, now I avoid getting cold.

Limestone likes this.
  10. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jigs,
    LOL!, FUNNY, BUT NOT, RIGHT? We all learn along the way, don't we? Stay thirsty, my friend!
    Limestone

11. Limestone

Limestone Member

While waiting for the rear spring to get finished, and the u-bolts to come in. I pulled the radiator out, to take that in Monday to get re cored. I pulled the alternator out, witch works fine, but I'll take that to a shop I deal with and have it gone over, and possibly upgraded! Gonna remove the cover, and remove the water pump, timing belt, and adjuster. I will replace all the belts, and hoses, while I'm in there. In the mean time while waiting for parts. I will de-rust as much as I can, while I am in there! Eastwood has some good rust encapsulator, and rust converter products and undercoating products, that I have had good luck with! Time for a cold one!!!
    Limestone

12. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jigs,
    On your Daihatsu, I unbolted my water pump, and there is a smaller line, next to the lower hose inlet. It is severely rusted and corroded. I'm sure it's for some additional cooling, trans., carb, etc...It was getting late and I was getting tired, and there was a lot of stuff blocking my vision on seeing where this thing was going. I'm gonna have to replace this line, whatever it is, and wherever it goes to. While i am in the process of finding a water pump, the pics online, aren't clear as to how that tube is installed into the pump. I know that I'll figure it out once I get the new one and finish getting the old one off. The smaller line is in really bad shape with rust and it's already leaking from me manhandling it to get it off. Thanks,
    Limestone

13. My cooling system was full of crud. I pulled all hoses and even found a hose barb that was ready to break so I broke it off. I am going to have to tap it and install a 1/2" NPT x 5/8" barb fitting.

14. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jamison,
    Probably needs a good gentle flushing! Yrs. ago Napa made an additive to protect your cooling system. I'm sure there's other stuff on the market that will do the same thing. I took my radiator to a couple places to get a price to re-core it. I'll find out tomorrow, if I'll go that route or buy a new one!
    Limestone

Jamison Lure & Fly likes this.
  15. I'll be curious to learn what you find out.

16. Limestone

Limestone Member

image0.jpeg image1(2).jpeg image1(2).jpeg image0.jpeg image1(2).jpeg image0.jpeg image1(2).jpeg image0.jpeg image1(2).jpeg

Attached Files:

Jamison Lure & Fly likes this.
  17. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jamison,
    I got the Rear springs picked up today. Pretty happy with them, after I get them installed, I'll see if I need to lift the back, to match the 2" front lift or not. My gut feeling is that, I'm not going to have to! My radiator guy sent me a pic, on the Radiator, which is done, I'll pick that up tomorrow. Extremely happy with the re-core! $250.00 cash out the door! Sorry, looks like, several of the same pics!
    Limestone

18. Limestone

Limestone Member

Jamison,
    I'll tell you the truth. You really got me thinking, on the location of the radiator, being close to the ground, behind the front wheels, and picking up all the dust and road dirt! If I couldn't get a decent price on a rad. re-core. I was seriously considering, re working the front grill area under the front windshield, and re working all the coolant lines and, everything else involved to make it work! Picking up a small inexpensive rad. for around $100.00. isn't impossible. I still might do that down the rd. emphasis on might!
    Limestone

19. Limestone

Limestone Member

Just came in from the garage, and did some more de rusting and installed some more Eastwood rust encapsulator. I am very happy with their products. Fan shroud, misc. spring purchase parts. Got a couple front hub dust caps in the mail today(amazon). Had to massage them a little to fit. Those are on. When I pick up the Radiator tomorrow I'll find out what exactly he sprayed on the metal, after his acid bath, as far as a paint, sealer or what have you. The pics look like grey paint, with a clear coat. I'M THINKING OF BRUSHING ON SOME RUBBER COATED, UNDERCOAT on the metal! Probably overkill, but again, due to the location of the rad. it catches a lot of abuse. When I do get it installed,I will look at increasing the skid plates underneath with some light weight galvanized plating, I have a small stack of this stuff perfect for this, to keep as much debris from kicking up underneath. Then I will look at increasing the air flow to the radiator, supplying air from above the back of the cab and even the rear sides of the cab! Still havin fun!
    Limestone

20. Limestone

Limestone Member

IMG_1283.jpg IMG_1285.jpg IMG_1284.jpg

Attached Files: