1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

Something to think about. Each layer of paint or whatever adds a slight bit of insulation and retards the transfer of heat from the rad to the outside air. Usual rad paint is very thin black which does not inhibit heat transfer.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Picked up the Radiator, re-cored. I also took pics of the old core, showing how bad it was! The new core, also fits a Cushman, I was told! You can see in the old pics, how bad it was corroded and clogged!!! Who knows what percentage my cooling was operating at! I was also told, that after the paint, thoroughly sets(dries), to go ahead and paint on my rubberized undercoating, to help protect the radiator, better! Naturally, not painting, any cores, and blocking, cooling. He also told me that the new core will definitely cool better, because it's an upgraded cooling core capacity, per square inch! Needles to say, I'm very happy!
    Limestone

3. Limestone

Fred,
    I agree with you on that! I will definitely take that into consideration! I will just probably treat the bottom tank, where all the grit, grime and road mess might do damage!
    Limestone

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Fred's right. Make sure it's a thin coat and you will be fine. Black will radiate heat, but a thick coat will actually insulate.

Limestone likes this.
  5. Limestone

Ohkei,
    Yeah, I agree, I spoke with my guy who did the Rad., we both agree that it wouldn't hurt to brush a thin coat of rubberized undercoat on! Plus I offered him a free ride when I put her on the road! If the Rad. wasn't located where it is, I wouldn't even think about it!
    Limestone

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Did the radiator lower tank have dings when you took it off? All I see is debris that needed cleaned. The bottom of my radiator doesn’t have any marks that would indicate that it has ever been in contact with anything.

7. Limestone

Jigs,
    The radiator actually worked fine, along with the cooling system. But if you can tell by the pics, the fins were brittle, and you could see from the corrosion, It wasn't performing at 100%! Before it started to give me a problem, I chose to re-core the rad., and replace all belts, and hoses, including, timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner! All preventive maintenance! The lower tank, did have a few dings in it that he told me he leaded up near the lower hose. before painting. I'm hoping once I get this area de rusted and painted and undercoated, and all the above reinstalled. I wont have to address these issues down the road! So, if you think about it, by him leading the lower tank, in some places, hopefully just one place. That in it self, kinda adds a layer, if you will, as a mild insulator. I'm truly not worried or concerned! Most of the cooling is done by passing air through the fins! Yeah keeping the tanks on the thin side by only using the required Radiator paint, is good, don't get me wrong. I've always been an overkill kinda guy. :)
    Limestone

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. Limestone

Did some more de rusting, and undercoating, the frame and related componants. The weather's pretty nice at 50 degrees today and sunny. Heading out to huntin camp in P.A.
    Limestone

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Spent yesterday working on mounting a radio and speakers. Got the radio mounted to the dash panel, and wiring run to the doors, and ran a new wire for my GPS speedometer. So it doesn’t have a wire running from the cigarette lighter and across the dash. (If you run on the street in the US, the gps speedometers are$20 to $30, and give you mph pretty easily. Just be sure it is a gps unit, and not one that talks to your OBD-II port.

Today, I will hopefully button the whole thing up and get the interior back together.

10. Limestone

Got back from, hunt camp, got lumber co. set to remove some trees to take to the mill. (Sorry not really this forum material) Did some more de-rusting, Eastwood's Encapsulator installed. About half the frame, and misc. components done! A couple more frozen, rusted, broken bolts removed. Finally finished removing the water pump, and the steel line attached . So after removing the rusted, brittle steel line, that would have caused me trouble real soon. I traced it to the top of the head, from the pump. With all the rust and corrosion on the pump at the fitting, I'm not sure yet how this is attached to the pump. When I get the new pump, and compare it to the old, I will determine what I'll use to make up the new line, and install! Hoping to put it back in service by the end of March!
    Limestone

11. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

How did the Eastwood's adhere and do you feel it is worth the extra money? I haven't tried it before, but will want to undercoat everything on the underside in some sort of long-term rust protectant in the spring as its just fluid filmed right now, which does wash off eventually after a couple of pressure washer rinses resulting in a need for re-application. I have seen good reviews with Eastwood, but first hand feedback would be great.

12. Limestone

Adam,
    I am a huge fan of Eastwood's products! I am not far from there Parma Ohio, location. I am able to interact with a very knowledgeable, and help full gentleman, WHO TAKES THE TIME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS, AND EVEN, TEST IT IN FRONT OF ME, in a test booth! ! I am especially impressed with there ENCAPSULATOR! It adhere's very well, and yes I do feel that It's worth the money! If I was building a RACER, I would invest in the Encapsulator Plus. I know several people who use their products a lot and are happy with them. A little tip. I like using the aerosol cans, for convenience and easy clean up, it's cheaper to buy 3 cans, take advantage of their discounts, February has some sales going on now! Put 3 in your cart and leave them there, for a little while as your schedule, and sales will permit, and Eastwood will generally keep discounting you! Plus I get an additional 10% for membership to a car club! I like using good products! Follow the directions on their website, it's pretty easy!
    Limestone;)

Adam Wheeler likes this.
  13. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

Good to know! A few of my plow trucks could use some of this as well to keep them lasting that much longer.

14. Limestone

Had to stop in to Eastwood, yesterday, and take advantage of a discounted sale! Picked up some more Encapsulator. I try to avoid leaving to many rattle cans on the shelf for a long time, avoiding wasting that material if the can doesn't work! Pretty cold out this weekend, gonna get some more de-rusting done!
    Limestone

15. Limestone

Still de-rusting! All's good. Fixing, replacing small stuff along the way, here and there. Always something to do if you want. Almost ready to put , the water pump, timing belt, radiator, and misc. parts, back in. The rear springs are completely de-rusted, and rebuilt, and ready to install. Will have up to date pics, soon!
    Limestone

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  16. Jigs-n-fixtures

The plan for tomorrow, is to add tweeters to the new stereo system, and clean up that wiring. Then start working on the gas struts for the hard tonneau, and mounting a set of draw latches to the tonneau to secure it down. Creatyi 2 PCS 9.3'' Heavy Duty Premium SUS304 Stainless Steel Rubber Flexible Black Draw Latches Buckle (Style 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GS8XTMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XAUyEb2EA70A5

17. Limestone

Gonna try to get some more done on the mini, this weekend. Had some delay's with other things and so on. I was able to get a few more things,(parts) together, while de-rusting parts, before I put the mid section, water pump, and misc. back together. I did notice a freeze plug, under the scale and rust, between the water pump, and oil filter, and behind the rusted line that I am working on putting the right parts together to replace. I picked up some 5/16 copper nickel brake line, some misc. copper fittings from the shelf, to make an adapter to fit into the water pump. I'll use j b weld as the high temp epoxy, as it's good to 500 degrees, according to the label. Not sure yet what size the freeze plug is, but it sure would be smarter to replace it now while I'm right there and all the anti freeze is drained out! Was also wondering how many more freeze plugs are on this thing, where their at, and what condition their in. Seems like everything on these trucks are so light duty,if I don't address it now while I'm in there it will come back to haunt me. I just know it.
    Limestone

18. Limestone

Took care of the freeze plug. Did some more de-rusting, and paint! Got the water pump in,thermostat, copper steel line with, copper 3/8 to 1/4 inch reducer, with homemade copper bushing, 500 degree solder, j b weld, misc. along the way. Almost got the middle of her, de-rusted and painted! Just put a lime in my Corona, hoping to keep any Virus's away!
    Limestone

19. Ohkei Dohkei

I figured theres no vaccine, so I've been building up my immunity the last few weeks!

Limestone likes this.
  20. Limestone

Picked up the Lexan plexiglass side window 75 bucks cash, I was pretty happy, all the corners are ground and polished like a piece of safety glass would be. Installed that tonight, along with a few other parts, getting closer!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    installater and Ohkei Dohkei like this.
  21. installater

installater Active Member

Well I went into town today 215 mile r/t to the bank wanted to get some of MY
    MONEY wanted 10k sorry you can only get out 2k OK I will close all my accounts
    SORRY we can only still give you 2k Its getting crazy.
    On the up side the windshield wipers quit working, I live in WA. state not a good
    place for no windshield wipers, this is 2 weeks ago.
    Go looking in the mini truck world of suppliers on the good ol internet
    Find some used factory inspected, not taking a chance I will also buy wiper motor
    and the wiper combo switch thats the thing you operate the lights, t/s, flashers and
    the wipers
    IMG_0370.jpg .

week later get email says no got those used, but we have new ones
    double the money no thanks send refund / back to the internet were
    having fun now
    IMG_0369.jpg
    So I find these they look close what the hell I have lost more remember
    I could only get 2k from my bank today
    Hit the buy button oh yea forgot free shipping from India
    est. arrival 3/25 - 4/7 on my porch today
    Combo switch damn near identical
    IMG_0362.jpg .
    IMG_0367.jpg
    fits right on, pig tails snap right in all systems go lights,flashers T/S, P/l
    all good
    Haven't got to the wiper motor hopefully tomorrow

Limestone likes this.
  22. siren676

siren676 New Member

Helped a mate move his GSF400, handled the trip easy and wasn't fazed doing 100kph on the motorway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Limestone likes this.
  23. Limestone

Good stuff guys! So I got the Lexan side window in the other night, no biggie, except, I placed the glass window from the left side, on a blanket, no problem, then I put the left side gate up and latched it, the way it's been the last several months as I am working all over this thing! You get used to walking around a vehicle after a while.(creatures of habit that we are) So on the rear corners of the back end, I have a couple of white rags hanging down as markers, kind of a habit I got into a long time ago! So I lowered the side gate and removed the glass window to compare both windows, and the template that I made, and all's good, everything lines up. I walked around the truck and forgot to put the side gate up an hit my head on that dog gone side gate, WOW, I didn't know that I had that many pretty colored birdies, in my garage, fluttering around, singing, and tweeting, and flying in circles!!! LOL:rolleyes:o_O:mad: I GOT DIZZY, AND ALMOST LOST MY BALANCE. Well, another lesson learned! Slow down and pay attention dummy! It's my own fault naturally, I got excited and wanted to get that dog gone window in! Ned less to say, I took the last couple nights off!

24. installater

installater Active Member

You think we would learn my now, if there is no blood by the end
    of the day I consider myself lucky or I haven't done anything

AZmini-t and Limestone like this.
  25. Limestone

Can't screw up if were not tryin!!!;) I'll go downa fightin!!! It's the only way I know! A good friend of mine used to say "God don't love a coward"!!!:) Kinda sacrilegious!;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  26. Limestone

Finally got back out to the garage. Put some wallpaper up for the Mrs. yesterday, happy wife happy life!!! (38 great yrs.) Dealing with a little SHINGLES problem, on my stomach. First time for this, I hope it's the last! What a pain, literally! So, I putzed around the garage doing small stuff, cleaning up, here and there, started to, install the rest of the misc. pulleys, timing belt cover. Didn't like how it was sitting, so I took it off and reapplied it making sure to seal out all the misc. dirt holes. Finally got back to the window, and I wasn't happy with the track glides. All the so called track felt doesn't look to hot, so I took the glides off to work on them tomorrow. Probably gonna glue some felt material on the glides for the Lexan to run on. Lots of little thing to do here and there always, but for me it's still fun! Especially when everyone is being told to stay home, hell I never had a problem withit! I looked out the garage door and counted 14 deer, then the turkeys were strutting, trying to impress their mates, one finally got a female down and they did their thing.;) Then, there was 12 ducks in the creek, 4 Mallards, 6 Woodies(my favorite). So we'll see what tomorrow brings. Stay Safe Everyone! God Bless!!!
    Limestone

27. Ohkei Dohkei

Wow Limestone, sounds like you live in an outdoor paradise!

28. Limestone

It really is! We live near what is called a metro park system,it's a chain of parks to hike, fish walk, bike, etc..... also near a national park,(Cuyahoga Valley, National Park) When my wife and I were building our house some 40 yrs. ago,(and I mean doing almost all the physical work) we didn't see this much wildlife, but as things change, the whole area has developed into our own little sanctuary! Pretty neat! When I got home from work, after stopping off at the Heavy Equipment shop to do some small part sandblasting, my wife was telling me about the same wildlife scenario that I was describing earlier, except, a Red Tail Hawk was eyeballing the Ducks in the creak, and a Red Fox was eyeballing, any easy meal he could get his hands on! It's zoned country living as we set back from the rd. some 500 ft. and are within two major cities in northern Ohio. Heck, it's home! We do love it here! Sorry for ramblin, Gonna spend the evening with the Mrs., not the Mini tonight!
    Limestone

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  29. Limestone

Headed out to the shop after work, cleaned up the window rails, and glued some felt to them. Gonna let that set at least overnight. Glued the bottom window brackets on also, not real crazy how they just kinda pinch the glass or in this case the Lexan, plastic! Might drill a couple small holes in and put a small screw in each to hold it in place. There seams to be a little more stress on the new window, simply because it's not curved like the original glass window. That way it won't come loose while raising the window up! Never was a big fan on having to go back in and redo something, when I could have taken care of it the first time! Stay well everyone!
    Limestone

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  30. Limestone

No shop work tonight, sun was shining, 60 degrees, took a walk in the woods with my wife, and enjoyed the outdoors! White tail deer antler shed hunting!
    Limestone