1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Solved the problem with the headlight surround clips. Filled the bosses on the back of the surrounds with Bondo, drilled and counter bored the bosses, for hex head, 5-mm bolts, and installed nutserts in the holes where the clips went into.

Ran a new hot lead to my auxiliary fuse block, to power the new relays, and installed the new led headlights. Still have to wire the daytime running lights, and turn signal part of the fancy new headlights. But, that can wait.

The we put the hard tonneau on the bed, and drove it home. Still need a couple of days to finish the tonneau. Another coat of paint, and some more stiffness underneath it, some “L” track on top to mount things to. Bit it too can wait.

Felt really good to have the little fella back on the road. Seems like all the work figuring out the carb adjustments paid off. He accelerated up a hill in 3rd, that used to make him bog down, and lose speed.

Now to dig out the snowplow, and get it mounted so I can clean up the driveways. We’ve had ten fresh inches today, and it is supposed to keep snowing through tomorrow at noon.

I should do a build thread soon, so folks can learn from my stupids, and hopefully get a few ideas for their rigs.

Limestone likes this.
  2. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Your truck is looking good, can`t wait for that build thread, I have the pop-corn ready!!!!

Jamison Lure & Fly likes this.
  3. Nice work!!! And, yes do the build thread!

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Jigs,
    That really sounds good! I like how you solved the clip problem! Very Inspiring! Got my front end, struts, springs, 2" lift completed. Took the rear springs to an old time spring shop. Gonna replace the rear shocks this wknd. Got a set of new steel wheels in, looking for rubber!
    Limestone

5. DeereTech

DeereTech New Member

Honestly that’s a really cool/unique looking mini. I love it. I have a Ford F-350 and a 2016 Mustang. My 6th mustang actually.

Limestone likes this.
  6. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

threw my snowsport snowblade on the front & plowed the driveway! we got about 4" of snow overnite into friday morning... wet heavy stuff.

first time id used Mini for this. boy was that nice! set in the heated cab & just shifted gears & drove up & down the hill/driveway & in 30 mins it was DONE!

it was so much better than doing it on the tractor & getting windburnt & froaze to death! (tractor is still better than shoveling a 600' driveway)

Limestone likes this.
  7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

hey are you looking for street legal rubber? if so ive got a link to a bunch of different types of legal tires posted... some rough treads too!

8. Limestone

SDK,
    I appreciate the info., but no. Mine is off road, Hunt camp, Farm, and around the Homestead, only. I really like the Carlisle Versa Trail for my application, but they only come in as small as 25" ! I was trying to stay at 23x8x12 front and 23x10x12 rear. As I am going through this whole project piece by piece, so that when I get her done. She's done! I like the Maxxis cerros in 23". I am currently completely redoing the suspension including a 2" lift. From all the great info, on the forum the past 2 yrs. I've decided to caution on the side of error and try not to go much over 2" in my lift! If I have to trim the body on the front wheels, I will, to except the 25's or the 23's! I touch a little bit of pavement at semi lower speeds, that's why I'm looking at these! I do want 6 ply! Thanks again!
    Limestone

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  9. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

I run duro frontier 25'', they are copy of the maxxis cerros. So far I am pretty happy with them, they have plenty of grip off-road and not too noisy on hard pack.

Jamison Lure & Fly and Limestone like this.
  10. Limestone

Thanks SAITCHO, I'll check em out!

11. What kind of steel wheels did you get? I wound up with ITP Delta Steel Wheels 12 x 7 with 5/2 offset and it seems to work great with the 22 x 7 x 12 SUNF tires. I am 95% off-road with no lift kit at present but that could change.

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Reset the choke on my freshly rebuilt carb.

The carb rebuild was an adventure, which took 4-try’s, and a couple of weeks.

Best, everything was great, good air fuel ratio, at least as best I can tell by checking the plugs, and how well it would accelerate under load.

Got up this morning to go to work, and no start. Tried until the battery was getting weak. Plugged him back into the shore power hookup, and let the battery recharge tried again, and tried until the battery went flat.
    Damn, he was doing so well yesterday.

Let the battery recharge, and raised teh bed so I could get to the engine protection panel, and get it off to access the carb.

The choke adjustment screw, had backed out to the point it was almost ready to fall out. Screwed it back in to where I thought it was when I had finished the carb.

Pumped the pedal twice, and he fired right up. I let him worms up, while I rounded up my wallet, and headed to the parts house for some Loc-Tite green penetrating thread lock.

Now all I have left to do is reinstall the engine protection plate.

Limestone and Jamison Lure & Fly like this.
  13. Adventures of mini truckin'

14. Limestone

Jamison, Saitcho, Jigs,
    Same thing, ITP Delta Steel Wheels 12x7 with a 4+3 offset. I have wheel spacers to use accordingly. I checked out the Duro tires. They're nice, but directional. That's the reason I was looking at the Carlisle Versa Trail, being non directional, giving me more options rotating side to side! The green Loctite is what I used! Stopped and checked on the Rear Springs today, and they didn't get to them yet, but I did drop off the U-Bolts, to have new ones made! Just need them lengthened, to make up for the additional leaf that's being added, and re arched!
    Limestone

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  15. Limestone

Jigs,
    I've also had good luck with clear silicone, besides the green loctite. It's easy to clean up, as needed, also. Just more FYI!
    Limestone

16. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I went with Carlilse all trails. I didn't like the load rating on the Maxxis (although they look really cool) as I regularly load up the bed with 800-1100 lbs.

17. Limestone

Ohkei,
    I do like the All Trails also. What ply did you get them in?

18. Jigs-n-fixtures

I had to pull the engine protection plate off today after work, and turn the choke in another half turn. The tiny truck was still a bit hard to start. I had to pump the pedal six times, and then keep pumping as I cranked.

So, my guesstimate of where my choke was set before it vibrated out. Screwed the adjuster in a bit more. We’ll see in the morning how things go. Supposed to be down around 0-degrees F. So it should be a good test.

19. -16 here in Minnesnowta this morning and mini started right up. My heat is very weak so I think I need to flush radiator/heating core and test the thermostat (when I find it). The truck runs fine but is really slow to get up to temp.

20. Limestone

I think I would consider installing an engine block heater, if possible, to plug the truck in over night! I've had great luck in the past with an older vehicle. It was nice too because the truck started easier, and it was a lot warmer, immediately.
    Limestone