1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do to your Mini Truck today

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by PedroNZ1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Got back to the mini! Was thinking about that dog gone GOOEY mess I've got on the roof, after I took the headliner out! After doing a little more snooping around, and some research. I found that, bug and tar cleaner, works well in this situation! So I remembered seeing a jar, my friend gave me, on the shelf, that I labeled, Tar cleaner, in my automotive section, of shelving. I went to it, and using a coarse rag, it has an orange citrus smell to it, if you like that, I kinda do! I have no idea what the heck the name is of this stuff is, or what's in it, but it works to soften the sticky, Goo, some more. After a couple, interrupted hours, I was able to get, most of it off! I do have a little more, but much progress was made! I was hoping that after a week of not doing anything, that it might be dry, and hard enough to sand! Nothing doing! Hoping to finish it up tomorrow!
    Limestone

SDK1968 likes this.
  2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

D-Limonene?

3. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Forgot to add. Once I was able to wipe the solvent on the goo, then I was able to scrape it off with a razor blade scraper! After a bit, I had to keep wiping more solvent on! Last week, I tried some acetone, as recommended, that worked about the same, although, I'm thinking this is working better! The key is maintaining good ventilation! In that little cab, the air can get pretty thin!:oops:
    Limestone

4. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Ohkei,
    I never heard of Limonene, before, so I just looked it up,(I don't think so). I have no idea what that stuff is, except my buddy told me that it was good for removing bug's and tar, and won't hurt the paint on the vehicle! I know, because I always reference with labels, cause I obtain a lot of stuff and then over time can't remember! LOL! I know, I'm being carefull with it, because that citrus smell can disquise some pretty nasty stuff, and you'd never know it! I wear a chemical mask to play it safe, and a couple of exhaust fans, with fresh air coming in, just not worth the repercussions! A couple minutes of prep. is worth it to me! I've lost too many a good friend's not being care full over the yrs., to not take my own advice, "to caution on the side of error"! Take care!
    Limestone

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. Ohkei Dohkei

Yeah, it is citrus based and safe as safe gets.

Limestone likes this.
  6. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

not done today... but gonna try it tomorrow!

300lb front springs! (2002 zuki carry!)

Limestone likes this.
  7. siren676

siren676 New Member

Got a Townbox cluster working in my Minicab, looks much nicer, has a trip meter and working tachometer!

99120692_548394616113851_5534917173169881088_n.jpg

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  8. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Well, I really didn't get much done on the mini. Between yard work, and a few string trimmers not working properly. I wound up doing a few repairs on them, and some other routine maintenance on the small motors that are always needed! Around here as the weather breaks, the grass needs tending to weakly, as do the weeds, and other outside maintenance issues! All's good, weather's nice! It's officially 2 yrs. since I inherited the mini truck project! Stay Healthy All!
    Limestone

SDK1968 likes this.
  9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

yeah you can tell you are in the same region as me..... didnt get crap done either for all the yard/home work this weekend.

& then it was 92* & 90% humidity.. Zuki will have to wait until Weds night when it cools down. :)

10. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

I hope you got to your Zuki, Rain comin in tomarrow, cut more grass last night and tonight! Hope to get back to it Thursday!
    Limestone

11. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Didn't get back to it Thurs., nor Fri., Hoping to finish the roof, Sat.! I'd like to get a little more clean up done, and fire her up, and work through a few more fine points mechanically! At least that's what I'm thinking at this point! Stopped off today, and picked up some more cans of Encapsulator at Eastwood! Darn, I just remembered That I was going to pick up some body caulk while I was there. That's the beauty of a project like this, I'll just swing by next week and grab some then!
    Limestone

12. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Just a beautiful day outside, so I was helping my wife, with some gardening work! Always weeds to pull, soil to enhance, no rest for the wicked, (ME), I guess! lol! Talked to my friend, who gave me the bug and tar remover, with the citrus fragrance to it, and he has no idea, what it's called, or where he even got it from! Heck, he doesn't even remember giving it to me! His 2nd. wife has a small co. that distributes cleaning suplies, and such. I told him that, if memory serves me right, that I think he got it from her! So he's gonna try to find out, because, I'd like to know, just because it works so well! Hopefully, I can get out there Sunday, and finish the roof up!
    Limestone

13. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Well, this will probably be a project that I won't soon forget! LOL! I was hell bent on getting, yhat dog gone roof finished today, and I did!:D I even tried some xzylene on it, but not much better than anything else that I tried! When I finally did get the rest of the goo off, I then took some Dollar($1)Store, Awesome brand degreaser spray, yeah for a buck, and cleaned the residue off the inside of the roof! Worked great! The best part, was celebrating with a beer afterwards!:)
    Limestone

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  14. Ohkei Dohkei

I went for my annual mulch run but the mulch place didn't have the brown mulch that I like. 2 weeks they said, but it was good to get the General on the highway!

Limestone likes this.
  15. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

got the coil springs changed on Zuki .

grabbed the free set of spring compressors at Orielly's... made it easy. the broken bolt was a little bit of a delay, but i had one the same size.

good news: it made a huge difference in how it rides/bounces & the old springs were shot & had spring spacers in them, so they for sure needed to be changed.

bad news: both struts were busted.

NO... im not gonna replace them. just tooo much money for theose struts & havent found a replacement alternative.

maybe good news: i used 300lb springs, so it seems that the stronger spring is making up for the busted strut. how long will that last? i dunno.

16. tuanies

tuanies New Member

Been doing a lot of work on mine lately - progressive rate front springs, air shocks in the rear, 15-inch Datsun wheels, 4-inch component speakers in the doors, auxiliary driving lights and a lightbar back up light.

DSC05656_HDR-Edit.jpg
    Suzuki-Carry---05-22-2020-4.jpg
    Suzuki-Carry---05-22-2020-6.jpg

17. Ohkei Dohkei

Nice work. It looks clean

18. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

looks like you upgraded the seats too!! NICE!!

19. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Jig's got me to a sight in the UK for my struts, that ships to U.S.A. I was pretty happy, as they were like $75.00 bucks apiece! FYI
    Limestone

20. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

LS,

tell me more... or throw me a link... $75 each would be good. that $400 for a set is not.