1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm a Subaru owner....

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by Krieger-san, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello! Yes, mine is a KJ8.
    Yeah, the van is running. Really sorry I didn't got any time to write on all the forums that I joined for this van.
    I got it running quite a while ago. Breaks and suspension are still kind of dodgy, but it runs and it's heaps of fun.
    I have working 4WD. This whole winter, I never got stuck once.
    I managed to fix the bad cranking problems. I replaced the bad ignition starter and the crummy start button with a salvaged unit from another Libero. Now it cranks and start perfectly.
    I used the hole in the dash where the start button used to be to install an aftermarket rev counter. Brilliant.
    I even put a couple of speakers in the back.
    I really really enjoy this van, it's a great little runabout. And heaps of fun. In fact, I just raced it with my brother tonight downtown :) . Also did some drifting a couple of nights ago(it rained a lot, otherwise I can't break traction). I just hit 1000 km on it today since I bought it and fixed it actually. Great day for SUBARU owners everywhere.
    Thank you guys for the help!
    Here's my latest video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBq6mwRLvpk .

2. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello, everybody. A really long long time has passed(again) since my last post m'here. New job, new gf, lots of work at the ranch, I barely have time to even breathe.
    The reason why I am making this post is to ask you guys if the EF-12 engine is an interference engine or not. My timing belt broke while I was driving and I'm afraid that the engine could be kaput. Everybody who has ever had one of these vans praised them for the fact that the valves don't interfere with the piston heads, but I would like to ask once again just to be sure.
    Also, I will put you up to speed with all the repairs and mods that I did to my van and the ones that are coming next.
    Thanks a lot! Have a good one everybody!

3. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

Hi, Kreiger-san. Nice to see you still have your van and got it running. I sold mine last year so I don"t hang out here too much anymore. As far as I know the EF-12 is NON-INTERFERENCE.

4. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Yes, the engine is non-interference. I fixed it in one afternoon with a mate. The bolts holding the belt tensioner were a pain to get out, but otherwise, the repair went smoothly.
    The Lovebus works again. I'm going to finally install my summer wheels today. So excited.
    The paint finish turned out awful, but at least I am able to install them. next time I change the tires, I'll get the rims blasted and powder coated.
    Apart from my foglamp, all my electrical mods work. Will see what's the dealio with the foglamps too.
    Pics and vids will follow.

5. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

So I fixed my van last week, it runs great, I finally installed the summer wheels that I spent so much time and effort into refurbishing and it looks like a million dollars.
    I also changed the alternator belt and I started putting screw-in clamps on every vacuum hose.
    Trouble is, it started to put gas in my oil. I don't know why and it bugs the hell out of me. I know that it can do that if it runs too rich, the gas remains in the chambers, washes out the oil and seeps in the oil pan, BUT there is absolutely no smoke indicating that the engine is running rich, it runs as smooth as silk and all the spark plugs are in perfect condition(brown-ish-gray-ish at the electrode, no soot).
    Anyone got an idea why I get this problem and what to look for?
    I'll get new spark plug leads tomorrow, I'll change the oil AGAIN(changed the gased up one once, but the level is too high even though I put the correct quantity in) and I will clean the inside of the oil pan. I will also install my recently purchased oil pan gasket.
    Please help, I don't want to change the oil every week!