1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm a Subaru owner....

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by Krieger-san, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sigkrist

sigkrist New Member

HI
    If the C-clip does not set right the axle could come lose from the joint but wheel will stay on,the bearing and the lock nnut keeps it secure. It´s pretty easy to check, just jerk the joint good with hand, if it stays on shaft it´s ok,
    The light problem seems like a bad connection on ground(negative) by the description could be on the turn lights don´t get ground and are pulling it trough the park lights or vice versa, so check all ground wiring. As i remember the headlights have fixed postive and light swichs connect ground to the bulbs.

2. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. I did check the CV joint attachment eventually(when I pulled the drive shaft out of the gearbox), it's secured in place. I'm just paranoid as usually :) .
    I'm really happy right now that I managed to fix the thread on the shaft. A replacement part is quite expensive here. To be honest, I think it's one of my first damaged threads that I fix without a threading tool.
    I'm quite concerned about that wiring problem. Will check them tomorrow. Also, I will buy a tube of silicone soon and make new silicone gaskets for the front corner lights(parking lights+turn signal block). The factory gaskets rotted away.
    After I make new gaskets, I will clean the contacts again and replace the bulbs with new(bought them today).
    I also have to modify an old Ford brake line to replace the one that I cut in half, fit the used handbrake cable that I found in the bag of parts and do some experiments to see if and how the VW Polo wheels that I bought fit.

3. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Just out of curiosity, I looked into the German repair manual for some specifications on the cooling system capacity and I found this:
    Kühlmittel-Fassungsvermögen: 0.9 lit .
    I've got 2.something liters in mine. It was completely dry when I put coolant in. Will mess around with it a bit, change the coolant a couple of times(plain water) before adding some good grade antifreeze. I bought some last winter, but I never got to put it in, I left it dry over the winter since I didn't get to use it.

4. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

5. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

I did some progress with my flashing lights problem(I think), results aren't quite here, but, hopefully, they're on the way.
    I took out all the contacts towards the turn signal lights and towards the headlamps and cleaned them with sandpaper, a small screwdriver and a lot of contact spray. I sprayed the mounting for the turn signal lights with Zn/Al spray.
    I still have no idea what does that black box under the dash does. Please help!
    I made new gaskets around the indicators with some silicone. The factory ones were rotten away.
    Also, I think I may have found a culprit. On the passenger side, the ground wire for the parking light seems to be interrupted. It only works if I wiggle it in the right position. Funny thing is that it does the same problem when that bulb is working as well. I should also mention that I did the testing without having the headlamps connected. Should that effect my results?
    Will replace that bad ground wire and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'm gonna go seek help from a professional.
    New video coming up soon on YT. Awaiting replies.
    Cheers!

6. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Took a break from working on the lights, will most likely fix them up as they are(Frenkeinsteined) and then, after I get it street legal and working, I'll restore them to the original setup. A mate of mine(Electrical Stig) promised he'd help.
    I replaced the old brake line that I cut in half with a piece that my dad helped me mold from my old Ford donor car. Fitted in this evening and rustproofed it.
    Will fill the system with new brake fluid and flush the old one out.
    I took the old spare handbrake cable apart to inspect the steel wire, found it to have loose treads. I decided to makeshift a new cable from the old one that my brother took out from his BMW. It fits, it's waaaay better quality material and I have plenty to cut down to size. Should work out fine, just fine. Fine.
    This Saturday I'm gonna take the carb apart and clean it. I will be merely an assistant, Automotive Chuck Norris(Electrical Stig's dad) will be the master of the operation.
    Also, I took the EGR valve off the engine. Found it to be completely stuck. I poured gas in it, sprayed the rod with penetrating oil, poked the crud out with a screwdriver. Than I pushed the rod in with the screwdriver handle and I popped it free. Kept flushing it with gas until it started to work really smooth and the gas came out of it clean. Also sprayed it with intake/carburetor cleaner. I sprayed that into the EGR ports in the engine as well. I think there's a lot of crud in there as well, but who's taking that apart?
    Anyways, should be an improvement. I'm really anxious to start the van again.
    Still on my list:
    Lights and other electrics(usually grounds).
    Vacuum and 4WD. I got a tip for a former E10 user to get permanent 4WD. Great guy, eager to help.
    Brakes: flush the system, bleed it and the handbrake cable.
    Tires. Need new tires. I want to install 185/60R15. Hopefully they will fit, but I'm not sure. Also, need to machine the rims that I bought a bit.
    Rustproofing. Need to do it, but after I get my papers ready.

I think that's pretty much it. Wish me luck!

7. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello again!
    It's been a while since my last post, I didn't do much, but what I did is kinda' important.
    So I finally got my carb cleaned. Actually, me and that engineer dude friend of mine, we pulled both my carbs apart, cleaned them and we made a good working one out of the two. Much to my surprise, the second hand unit that I bought was in better shape than the original, so we used that, coupled with the accelerator plate assembly from the original.
    I soldered a new electrical coupling on the fuel cut-off solenoid, now it needs a couple of gaskets and it's ready to install.
    I did manage to find a vacuum line diagram that is supposed to be correct for my particular model(thanks to the guys at http://gisu.de).
    It's this one: http://www.kex.de/Bildergalerie/vaccumhosesystem.jpg .

I didn't get to fix the headlamp issue, I still need more clarification on where the H4 lamp is supposed to go so I don't cause any damage.
    I re-did some wiring, I did some rustproofing in the engine compartment and I checked the oil level inside the gearbox. As you can probably see in the video that I made, I think it's quite low on oil. Will have to investigate.
    I do need help(as usual). The things that I need are addressed in the video. Any helpful replies will be appreciated. Thank you and good luck with your projects!
    My latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAP29jExl_s .

8. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hi guys! Long time no see.
    I have a question for you. I have to change the oil in the front diff and I'm not 100% sure which of the bolts are the filler and the dump plugs.
    I think the dump plug is a 17mm-ish bolt on the front side of the diff casing and the filler is an identical one towards the rear of the diff on the driver side.
    Am I right? I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it tomorrow.
    Will keep you posted. Progress has been made.
    Cheers!

9. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello!
    It's been, once again, a long time since I last posted here.
    I accomplished a lot since my last post. I did change the diff oil, I changed the tires(brand new winter tires), I changed the clutch(the original was completely toast, that's why the van didn't move), I fixed the electrical problem(fixed itself actually, once I put all the bulbs back in place, new bulbs all around, of course).
    I also installed aftermarket fog lamps and I did the wiring from scratch. A tiny tachometer is on the way.
    I finally got to drive me little van after changing the clutch. It was amazing. This thing just glides. It's like driving a really tiny bus, one that can squeeze into any nook and cranny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikYvk5k5bQ .

I do have some problems with it though. First off, I have to clean the inside of the gas tank, I get junk in the carb even if I have 2 fuel filters on the system. I'd like to clean it without taking it off the car, I saw a bolt on the bottom end, I think that would be a drain plug. I think it would work if I rock the car real hard and then drain it, filter the gas through a women's sock, pour it in again, rock the car, drain it, filter it and so on. At least as a temporary measure, until I get to strip it out and wash it with water next summer.

The carb is another problem. It won't open the air intake plate, so it would flood the engine with gas and won't even start. I think I saw the problem, it's this tiny linkage with a small roller, right in front of the throttle body that looks a bit bent and it doesn't work as it should. I will make a video of the thing since I got it off the car.
    Hopefully, after fixing that, it will work. When I drove it out of the garage where I got the clutch replaced, the car would start off rough, choke and die, or run on 2 cylinders. After a few minutes, when the engine hit operation temperature, it evened out. Driving it was fun, but the engine wouldn't rev up as high as it should. I think the problem lies in the bent linkage, causing the air intake to stay closed(or not fully opened), flooding the engine with gas(no air to evaporate the gas), making it slow.
    We'll see. I'll keep you posted.
    Cheerio!

10. anthill

anthill Member

Spring is in the air (almost). Any news? Sounds like you are almost done your epic overhaul job. If shipping weren't so expensive 8'd send you the rear shocks and front brake pads I mistakenly bought.. yours is a KJ8 chassis, right?

11. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello! Yes, mine is a KJ8.
    Yeah, the van is running. Really sorry I didn't got any time to write on all the forums that I joined for this van.
    I got it running quite a while ago. Breaks and suspension are still kind of dodgy, but it runs and it's heaps of fun.
    I have working 4WD. This whole winter, I never got stuck once.
    I managed to fix the bad cranking problems. I replaced the bad ignition starter and the crummy start button with a salvaged unit from another Libero. Now it cranks and start perfectly.
    I used the hole in the dash where the start button used to be to install an aftermarket rev counter. Brilliant.
    I even put a couple of speakers in the back.
    I really really enjoy this van, it's a great little runabout. And heaps of fun. In fact, I just raced it with my brother tonight downtown :) . Also did some drifting a couple of nights ago(it rained a lot, otherwise I can't break traction). I just hit 1000 km on it today since I bought it and fixed it actually. Great day for SUBARU owners everywhere.
    Thank you guys for the help!
    Here's my latest video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBq6mwRLvpk .

12. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Hello, everybody. A really long long time has passed(again) since my last post m'here. New job, new gf, lots of work at the ranch, I barely have time to even breathe.
    The reason why I am making this post is to ask you guys if the EF-12 engine is an interference engine or not. My timing belt broke while I was driving and I'm afraid that the engine could be kaput. Everybody who has ever had one of these vans praised them for the fact that the valves don't interfere with the piston heads, but I would like to ask once again just to be sure.
    Also, I will put you up to speed with all the repairs and mods that I did to my van and the ones that are coming next.
    Thanks a lot! Have a good one everybody!

13. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

Hi, Kreiger-san. Nice to see you still have your van and got it running. I sold mine last year so I don"t hang out here too much anymore. As far as I know the EF-12 is NON-INTERFERENCE.

14. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

Yes, the engine is non-interference. I fixed it in one afternoon with a mate. The bolts holding the belt tensioner were a pain to get out, but otherwise, the repair went smoothly.
    The Lovebus works again. I'm going to finally install my summer wheels today. So excited.
    The paint finish turned out awful, but at least I am able to install them. next time I change the tires, I'll get the rims blasted and powder coated.
    Apart from my foglamp, all my electrical mods work. Will see what's the dealio with the foglamps too.
    Pics and vids will follow.

15. Krieger-san

Krieger-san Member

So I fixed my van last week, it runs great, I finally installed the summer wheels that I spent so much time and effort into refurbishing and it looks like a million dollars.
    I also changed the alternator belt and I started putting screw-in clamps on every vacuum hose.
    Trouble is, it started to put gas in my oil. I don't know why and it bugs the hell out of me. I know that it can do that if it runs too rich, the gas remains in the chambers, washes out the oil and seeps in the oil pan, BUT there is absolutely no smoke indicating that the engine is running rich, it runs as smooth as silk and all the spark plugs are in perfect condition(brown-ish-gray-ish at the electrode, no soot).
    Anyone got an idea why I get this problem and what to look for?
    I'll get new spark plug leads tomorrow, I'll change the oil AGAIN(changed the gased up one once, but the level is too high even though I put the correct quantity in) and I will clean the inside of the oil pan. I will also install my recently purchased oil pan gasket.
    Please help, I don't want to change the oil every week!