1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowplows and Airbags

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by suzuki4me, Oct 12, 2008.

1. suzuki4me

suzuki4me New Member

A friend of mine just purchased a 2000 Sambar with a driver's side airbag. He is wanting to put a black line plow on the truck but he is concerned about setting the airbag off. Has anyone done this on a similiar truck or does anyone have any suggestions? THANK YOU!

2. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Full-size trucks with airbags have plows mounted on them with no issue. At any rate, it'll only be a problem once.

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol on big KA-BANG! and the problem is solved :p

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

this is complete speculation... but... from what i know of air bags they have a sensor in the front bumper area. when that is squished it makes contact and pops the airbag. as long as that front receiver doesn't set it off, and the rigging that holds the plow in position doesn't collapse then you shouldn't have a problem at all.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

This is just my opinion but I suspect that any jolt that's hard enough to trigger the airbag is likely to be a jolt that you would WANT the airbag to trigger. Just my $.02.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Although this is true for some veihicles. I'm not totally convinced that its true for all. The majority of air bag system use a device called an accelerometer to detect sudden changes in momentum. Airbag systems are designed to deploy only when neccessary. I wouldn't worry about them deploying when using a plow.

-Greg