1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

snow plows

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by prerunner, Dec 4, 2007.

1. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Regarding Blackline plows, you can add tension to the springs to reduce the tripping, but remember it is a safety feature to protect the plow, plow frame, truck and operator. There are also pins included to lock the blade for blading dirt, etc. But I'd recommend only idling while doing so, if your foot was on the accelerator and you came to an abrupt stop, you'd end up pinning the gas pedal..... You know, Newton's Law: for every action....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Added front hitch and Plow to Mitsubishi

Yester I completed a plow installation on a Mitsubishi w/air conditioning. Hitch is about 2" lower than normal due to AC coil under front of truck.

Hitch was bolted and then I mig welded for added security.

Blade installation was pretty much a snap.
    I added corner "flags", so you know where the corners are on the plow. Also I added skid plates"my design" to prevent digging in. The skid plates also raise the blades cutting edge up about a 1/2".

I have a 1/2 mile of gravel drive to clear so the small amound of clearance (un-plowed snow) is of little concern to me. Snow is expected Tomorrow so we will be able to test plowing with the mini then.

I chose not to get a Blackline plow but got one made by one of my suppliers. It a 72" straight blade with manual angle adjustment, my next one will probable be a custom "V" plow.

Regards,

3. mini me

mini me New Member

is there anything you don't like about it or would change? I do a lot of residential driveways that are not that long, and was wondering if it would work if i could pull up to the garage door and back blade using the downward force till i got far enough to be able to turn around and push it out

4. mini me

mini me New Member

5. mini me

mini me New Member

Thanks, Steve
    do you have a pic you can show

6. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Mini me:

I haven't had a chance to plow any snow as of yet. (there is none!!) But I did test it in my gravelled yard, it would push the gravel until it was about 8" deep in front of the blade, then it would trip forwards. It seemed to me that the blade trips too far, in that the top of the blade nearly touched the ground. This might be a bit of a concern when I install today's purchase - plow markers. I'm thinking I might install a device (chain & spring to stop it, but also allow a cushioned stop) similar to what is on screen doors.

Other than that, the slow speed at which it raises and lowers is an inconvenience, albeit a minor one, might not be such an issue on the narrower plows, as they would weight less.

I may take it upon myself to convert it to hydraulic controls if it becomes an issue.

Then there is the isue of using a steel blade on sidewalks, urethane is likely a better option.

The down pressure feature should allow for decent back-blading in front of garage doors, the DP will also enable good scraping, to clean up a bit of packed-down snow too.