1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

snow plows

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by prerunner, Dec 4, 2007.

1. prerunner

prerunner New Member

Hello I have been lurking for a while gathering info. I have found A 97 suzuki local to me In north Idaho. I wan't to get A plow, So the wife can plow the driveway, any updates on how well they work ? Thinking about A blackline 72"

2. De-icer

De-icer Member

I haven't installed one yet but the blackline is very solid plow, from what I'm understanding you should stick with the 60" vs. the 72". However, I don't have a lot of experience with the plows yet.

3. pepci

pepci Member

Where abouts are you located? I carry SnowSport Plows for these trucks. I am in Colfax, Wa.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious as to how well these work as well. I was using my John Deere this morning to push away the latest 6" and was wondering how a kei truck (which is lighter) would do...especially with a 72" blade. Looking forward to hearing some real feedback.

5. De-icer

De-icer Member

We're a new dealer of the things so I can't comment on how effective they are or are not. However, the blackline folks were clear when saying that for a mini truck you should stick with the 60" plow as the 72" might be to much of a good thing for one of the little trucks.

6. pepci

pepci Member

Hey De-Icer? Where abouts in north Idaho are you located?

7. De-icer

De-icer Member

I'm in Ohio, why would you think I was in Idaho?

8. prerunner

prerunner New Member

Pepci Im up at priest lake about 75 miles north of spokane. PM some info to me and maybe I can come down and check them out.

9. Sam's trucks

Sam's trucks New Member

Pushed snow today

My father called me today and told me he was going to push the fresh 4 inches of very wet snow off of his gravel driveway because he got the dually stuck climbing the hill in the back drive using my 95 Suzuki carry ( Demo - Show truck)with 72 inch plackline full power 4 way. I expected the worst. When I asked him how his mission went he responded " THAT THING IS A MACHINE " Needless to say he was impressed . No hesitation just go.

10. prerunner

prerunner New Member

We woke up to 16" of wet snow on sunday. I'd hate to over blade the truck. I do have access to an old 950 cat loader, but thought it might be to much for the wife.

11. Colin

Colin Member

Sixteen inches?! Holy crap.

12. Acerguy

I'm curious how well the Blackline will hold up to the side loading over time. Watching the video on their site it seems like it moves around a bit. Still, maybe for homeowner use that's not a big deal. I'm sure the ability to angle it from inside the cab would be nice.

One plow that looks like it might be suitable for mini truck/homeowner use is the Snow Bear It has manual blade angle adjust but it does have electric raising and lowering. The big problem with it though is that it would require a custom mount (uses two round tube mounts rather than the 2" receiver mount) and that it only comes in an 84" width....which is probably too much for a 660cc truck that weighs less than a ton! For me, I don't the think the manual angle adjust would be a big deal as I'm already used to plowing our drive pushing straight ahead (with the bucket on the John Deere) then pushing to the left (with a rear blade). I'd only need to get out and change the angle once. Anyhow, food for thought.

BTW, I've been doing a bit of reading over at www.plowsite.com Definitely a professional-oriented site but pretty interesting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  13. Colin

Colin Member

I do a lot of plowing with a Meyer setup on a '78 F150... not having the ability to angle the blade would be a MAJOR pain in the ***, unless you're just plowing out a 20-foot long driveway in the city.

Colin

14. biggreen7520

biggreen7520 New Member

Blackline Plow

I put a blackline plow on my mitsibishi mini and the first time plowing the screw in the lift system broke. I contacted blackline and they said I purchased a contract plow system made in 05 06 for tucker. It had a 1 1/4 reciever and the one they make now are for 2 inch and are made to blackline specs with a different "A" frame and electric lift. They are willing to replace everything but the 72 inch plow under warrenty. There customer service is outstanding. Will let you know how the plow works after I get the new and improved parts.
    Joel

15. nick

nick Member

16. Acerguy

Thanks, Nick. I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback on people's experiences with various plows as winter progresses. And so far, it's a good one (if you like snow....which I do!). So with the Blackline you HAVE to have the down pressure? I would think that would be a problem for me as I also have a long gravel driveway. My rear blade on my tractor weighs about 250 lbs I guess and it does a nice job of skimming along but not moving too much of the gravel (if the ground is frozen).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  17. nick

nick Member

Keith,
    The plow is designed with a solid connection (bolted)between the electric raise/lower actuator and the plow lift bracket. I think if I were to modify with a couple chain links or a slotted piece of steel that would help greatly. As it is it's bolted solid to the actuator. With my undulating (I know, big word for Sunday during the Packer game:frustration:) driveway I am constantly toggling the switch up and down to raise/lower. Gonna wear out my lift system. Float would be much easier. However, when I want to back drag right in front of the garage doors on the concrete apron, the down pressure is awesome. So, maybe the slotted steel would be better than chain links like the Western plow on my old GMC.
    Nick

18. biggreen7520

biggreen7520 New Member

Thats what I was thinking on doing. On the bottom I was going to put two pieces of slotted metal with the pin going threw it with about 4 inches of travel put the ram all the way down and it will bottom out for down pressure, lift it up and it will hit the top slots and lift it up. I will se when I get the update kit.
    Joel

19. Yardscape

Yardscape Member

I plow professional (during the winter) I am contracted by the City I live next to to do over 5 miles of sidewalks located in 52 different areas through out the City.

For the past 4 years I have been using a Polaris Quad with a plow. It broke last year and I just don't want to/haven't had the time to fix it. I purchased a 93 Suzuki Carry with Axle lock to replace the quad.

I custom made the bracket to hold the Polaris plow mount system. I ordered a new V-plow and will mount that today.

I looked at the Blackline, but the reciever hitch design just doesn't look like it will hold up to what I put it through. The down pressure would be nice, but without float, the plow would wear out way too fast and be too hard to operated for the 5 hours I am plowing. It is nice because it mounts to a 2" reciever if you have that.

Who makes the bumper that has the 2" reciever in it? Does it just mount to the undercarrage or are there mounting points under the plastic grill?

I will start a new thread when I get the new V-Plow mounted called, "My new work truck"

Photo_120607_002.jpg

20. Acerguy

Hey, I can say undulate even on a Sunday! :D You bring up some good points...I could see how having the option of the down pressure would be nice in some situations. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

And Yardscape, I definitely look forward to seeing a "PRO" setup! Have you looked at Lonestarsales in Texas? They have a nifty looking brush guard. Think Ulmer Farm Service also does something for the Suzuki
    as well as Allied Transportation in Michigan.

I'm sure there are others.....those just happened to come to mind. Hope this helps.

21. biggreen7520

biggreen7520 New Member

I have a custom made roll bar,grill gaurd,bumper w/reciever hitch and skid plate. Will have the moderator post a pic for me.
    Joel

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  22. prerunner

prerunner New Member

We picked up our truck saterday morning. Ended up with A 93 the salesmen took the 97 home to his wife. Also ordered the Blackline 72'' so i'll keep those interested informed on how well it works. I'm A heavy equiptment opperator and have moved lots of snow with pick ups and dump truck plows, as well as loaders and graders. We shall see how something this small does at the house. Thanks for all of the imput.

23. Acerguy

I'd love to see it. The quick and easy way to post a picture is to scroll down on the page when you post a response to "Additional Options" and you'll see a button for "Manage Attachments". Click that and it will take you to a box that will let you upload pics direct from your computer. After you submit the reply, it will show up as a thumbnail. Folks can click that and see the full size view. Hope this helps! :)

24. I have a Commercial Grade Blackline Power Angle on a Honda Attack with a lift kit and ITP tires for sale at my lot. I plowed about 6" wet inches of snow in my large parking lot last week.

It took about as much time as my Boss V Plow on my Dually. The thing turns so tight you rarely had to reverse you could just turn in a circle and head back the other way.

The truck and plow work flawlessly. The truck never stalled except when I put it in the wrong gear a couple times. It seemed to have more than enough powere and I never even had it in Diff Lock.

I would highly recommend the 72" blade for anyone wanting to plow snow with a mini truck. It was a real blast.

You wouldn't believe the number of people that come in the store because of the plow on that truck. I have sold three ATV plows to other customers because of that plow out front. It's a great product.

The truck if for sale if anyone is interested. Plow has only been used once.

www.tristatelinex.com

25. Acerguy

4x4 Mini Truck Imports now has a couple of videos up on their site of the Blackline in action. I dunno...watch the end of the second, shorter, version...seems like it "trips out" right around the time that the real snow starts. Is that adjustable?

26. prerunner

prerunner New Member

Got the plow mounted over the weekend. It works prety good I have been using it pined in dozer function. As I'm trapped with no room to keep windrowing. It used to take three hours to snow blow the driveway now it takes about twenty minutes. Two passes with the truck and one pass with the snow blower gets it off the drive.

27. isaacs

isaacs New Member

prerunner, How is your truck doing? I am wanting to get one of these trucks with a blade on it. I am in Spokane WA and priest lake is my favorite area in the summer. Anybody know who I can get a truck from? Is it also better to get a different 2" mount than the one that comes with the blackline blades? One more question, can the blade be used to move soft dirt for like leveling a yard??? I know a regular snowplow does not work for pushing dirt but I am wondering if this setup would work?
    Isaac.S

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  28. pepci

pepci Member

Hey Isaacs,
    I am a dealer down here in Colfax,Wa. south of Spokane about 75 miles. We also put plows on our minis. We are using the Snowsport ATV ploiw and it works awesome on these trucks.We have about 8 trucks in our inventory right now if you are interested. My number is 509-553-9714 :)Hope to hear from you soon.

29. I have two 72" Commercial Duty Power Angle Blackline Plows still in the box. If anyone is interested I am ready to blow these things out of here.

$1750

Normal Price $2198 on Blackline Website.

30. mini me

mini me New Member

is there any more updated info and advice on the plows that you guys have or heard.

thank you for the pre posted info