1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skid plates done...

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by DYNOBOB, Apr 8, 2011.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I knew after my first trip to TN offroading that some underbody protection was needed. I made an underbody tray from some old signs and a skid plate under the front bumper from 1/4" plate. Also attached a 2" reciever to the top of the front skid plate that comes thru the front grill. Was back in TN last weekend and they worked great, don't have to worry about mashing the front bumper or the tranny pan now. I'm still going to add a plate from the back of the front plate to the front axle to protect the steering components. No laughing at my welds!

Cut the ears off that hang down from air dam. They kept getting mashed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Underbody tray...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I'm speechless!!! That is just amazing (and the "Do not enter" part is awesome). Thanks.

5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Yeah, that's a message to the rocks...

...or to others, as in "if you can read this don't go where I just went". :)

Two buddies swear I had a back tire 4-5' off the ground last weekend.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. Daner

Daner Member

Thats awesome! does the government know you stole a sign? lol

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sweet...excellent job...

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

awesome! now to see if it withstands the test of time!

9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Nice work. Looks like it already came in handy. ;)

10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Thanks all.

Greg, What's your take on TN law enforcement? Would I get hassled w/ a triangle? Have you looked into a Low Speed Veh permit? I had to drive 1/2 mile on the street to get to CCRA last time and of course passed a parked sheriff. He didn't notice me it seemed.

We're coming south again Easter weekend.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  11. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I think it depends where you are at. I would expect law enforcement to treat the trucks the same way it would a quad on the street in the same area... triangle or not. LSV triangle helps bc it shows your trying to be safe and at least obey some sort of laws but, to be realistic, its not an implement of husbandry. I normally drive with my flashers on as well. I would expect that if by chance I did get stopped I would get a warning.

I have looked at the permits and what not but have not pursued anything as I stay mostly off road except for travel from trail to trail thats almost always a 35mph country back road. Where i ride the sheriff actually has/did have a suzuki carry. Would be nice to be completely legal though.

My folks registered their atv's with wildlife resources after it was recommended to them by other riders. You get a sticker with a number and what not but I don't know if its worth it. Might have to have it to ride on state land????

12. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

When I get time I'm going to check into a TN LSV permit. I'd really like to run the TAT on dual sports w/ the little truck as a chase vehicle. We pulled off in Jellico last week and checked out where the trail starts.

I'll let you know what I find on the LSV thing.

13. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Dyno,

Awesome build! Thanks for the post and all of the pics. Kinda neat seeing how the project comes together.

I especially love the front receiver. Unlimited possibilities with that.

On a funny side note, I had that same "Do Not Enter" sign. The previous owners had left it in my barn. I hauled it off with my other scrap metals when the scrap got up a few months ago. I had never imagined it as a skid plate!

14. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Yeah, I had those signs in my scrap metal pile for 3 years...knew I would need them sooner or later.

15. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

That's awesome dude! I'm thinking of cutting apart an old 55 gallon plastic drum and making a poly underbody skid panel for my truck. We'll see how ambitious I get...

16. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Think you'll be able to successfully "unbend" one of those? :confused: I'd be curious as I have access to plenty of them. :)

17. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I figure I'd use angle steel on the edges to keep it straight until I get it bolted on and then remove the angle afterward. We'll see if it works...

18. lukaslamrock

lukaslamrock New Member

how thick is a sign

19. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I'm guessing around 10ga.