1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site Spam

Discussion in 'News and Site Support' started by AwesomeSauce, Nov 6, 2019.

1. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

I don't know if there are any moderators that frequent the site anymore but I've seen a lot of spam over the last week. Seems like yesterday someone decided to post a thread in almost every sub forum. I've been working on reporting them but you have to wait a cool down period in between reports so it is going to take a long time to get them all reported.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Not sure how often Kevin shows up. But, the spammer only used one email, so they are easy to block.

3. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

Good! Noticed that they are all gone now. Surprised that it even happened seeing as new accounts have to to allowed to post. At least that was how it was when I created my account.

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

I also report spam when I find it. It is a problem on many forums, some even decided to manually approve new registered members and then only they can post.
    On one forum where I am moderator we have good experience with https://www.stopforumspam.com/
    "Stop Forum Spam is a free service that records reports of spam on forums, blogs and wikis to name a few. All these records are then made available to you search and view but most importantly, to access in an automated way to block suspected spammers before they can get in the front door. Everyone is familiar with more traditional "solve the word" systems to prevent abuse, Stop Forum Spam is a targeted and specialsed solution to help stop abuse of your website."

But not all forum softwares can use this, that has to be checked by the admin.

5. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

The site uses stopforumspam and I have to approve all users before they can post or view, but still they get through.

6. dan360

dan360 New Member

I got an interesting PM with a link that said I 'must see it'....can only imagine what I missed.

7. kmoneil

Haha yeah, I get tons of those. We can only dream about what it could have been.

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

106 spam posts from zslbzyb267

9. kmoneil

Got em. Sorry was little late getting to it.

Limestone likes this.
  10. shogun

shogun Active Member

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Luckily they aren’t pros, and JSU trump a whole bunch of posts under one user name. Doesn’t take much to put them on ignore. SAnd, then they jyust not there anymore.

Limestone likes this.
  12. shogun

shogun Active Member

Depends on the forum software. I am moderator on some BMW forums, in most of them I can add the spammer name into the ban list, add the IP as banned IP, and then select "delete all posts of...". In another forum I have to delete each post manually and ban the user.

13. kmoneil

I got em.

Acerguy and Limestone like this.